€60 NLHE Rebuy: $ : Overpair reraised, what to do??

L

luckforsome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
€60 NL HE Rebuy: $ : Overpair reraised, what to do??

..i was playing live last thursday and this is what happened...

I was in Cut Off position...there had been one call and 4 folds...I looked down picked up Pocket 9's..Raised it 3Xbb, was called by BB and by other guy

flop came
568 rainbow
I was happy to see i had an over pair..first guy checked, I bet..BB raised about 3 times my raise other guy folds..

So what do i do...its a decent buy in so pretty decent standard..i know from experience this guy is pretty tight,..
I dont put him on 97 for straight just cause i know how he plays..
what would yous do...and if ive done this post wrong please let me know
thanks...ill post result in a couple of days..

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop bet more. The 3xBB raise with one limper already gives the BB good odds to call with a wide range.

As played, we need to know how big the stacks are, tournament position and any other tournament reads you have. This info is needed to be able to say whether you should be folding, calling or shoving.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No reads, no stack sizes, no other info - hard to give good advice. You state this guy is pretty tight - what ranges did you put this guy on pf? This is very important, if you didn't consider it, then start doing that. The limper oop should be placed on a wider range simply because he was given good odds to call the pfr.

PF, Jilly is right, with each additional limper you add another bb to your pfr as a general rule of thumb. Therefore, your pfr should've been 4x bb.

If he's tight, he could have called with A8su, pocket 88's or an over pair such as 10/JJ. With hardly any info given, these are my reads.

A check raise is a strong play, especially from a very tight person.

IF this is the case (his hand range), you are behind in 3 out 4 situations. 3/4 of the time you are behind (plus you have a possible squeeze yet to act), fold.

trashcan

trashcan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a default, I would check back the flop, cos if you get raised you cannot continue (although it depends on player tendencies, there may be some players you would be willing to go all-in)

As you described tight player, I would fold after get raised

L

luckforsome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
.sorry didnt givemore info...my chip stack was roughly 16000, he had a little more...blinds were 400/800 so nothing serious...he very rarely raises..he calls with a monster, he calls with a mid hand.I generally have a good read of situations, but this hand boggled me..i put him on overcards, then after raise i thought overpair, but figured hed reraise preflop with a pair(its one thing he does alot)...thanks so far for the 3 replies, really really fantastic way of learning...

J

j0na1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got similar situation. Villain overbets, when we have overpair.
Not enough reads, to marginal situation, fold is correct i think. What are your thoughts?

full tilt poker No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t40/t80 Blinds - 7 players

UTG+1: t3060 M = 25.50
MP: t1670 M = 13.92
CO: t4215 M = 35.12
BTN: t2440 M = 20.33
SB: t8348 M = 69.57
Hero (BB): t9085 M = 75.71
UTG: t2257 M = 18.81

Pre Flop: (t120) Hero is BB with 9 9
4 folds, BTN raises to t240, SB calls t200, Hero calls t160

Flop: (t720) 7 2 3 (3 players)
SB bets t720, Hero calls t720, BTN folds

Turn: (t2160) 2 (2 players)
SB bets t2160, Hero requests TIME, Hero folds

L

luckforsome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
welll thanks to the few that replied to my situation...
heres is the result...i called the raise, we both checked the turn, and i checked fold the all in move he did on river...he showed me his hand,, he had pocket 8's so he hit his set...
props to stormraven for reading hed have 88...im surprised and impressed that everyne said fold...it seems more logical now...and ive also taken in to consideration the suggestion about raising 4times bb in stead of three especailly when already one caller...it makes more sense now than a week ago...cheers everybody