$6 NLHE STT: $ : 22 in MP post flop : - To bet or not?

S

Steve922

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm never sure when to bet in last position with a hand which I'm confident can't win a showdown. Below is a typical example from a $6 10-player Regular SnG.

Would you agree with the Post Flop bet? Or maybe I shouldn't have seen the flop at all; I did doubt if my set-mining call was good or not afterwards.

Steve
--------

party poker No-Limit Hold'em, 6 Tournament, 30/60 Blinds (8 handed) - Party-Poker Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

CO (t1730)
Button (t1880)
SB (t1610)
Hero (MP2) (t3840)
BB (t1900)
UTG (t6120)
UTG+1 (t800)
MP1 (t2120)

Hero's M: 42.67

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 2
club.gif
, 2
heart.gif

1 fold, UTG+1 calls t60, 1 fold, Hero calls t60, 3 folds, BB checks

Flop: (t210) 8
club.gif
, 8
diamond.gif
, 4
spade.gif
(3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets t60, 2 folds

Total pot: t270

MuscleMan76

MuscleMan76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think set mining is fine there with the blinds that low. You're not investing much of your stack into the pot, and you could potentially hit big.

I like the bet post-flop also, that's a relatively safe board to bet on. You don't want to let them see anymore cards for free though, cause chances are one of them is gonna hit the flop. I think you played this hand pretty well. Maybe a raise pre-flop could have gotten you a little more value, but no problem with limping there with 2s i think.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre-flop, the villain in front of you is pretty short so your implied odds are way worse.

On the flop, a bet is fine, but bet more like ~t120 instead.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We've got pleny of chips and if nobody raises we're seeing the flop at least three-handed so I don't mind a set mine here.

If we're going to bet the flop it has to be bigger - only betting 60 gives your opponents about the right price to continue with just overcards. I either bet somewhere around the 160 mark or just stick to the original plan and give up on the hand since we haven't hit our set. We've invested very little and there's not that much out there to be won.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
unraised pot I would limp with small pairs, and throw away at any raise, Good flop for you , as said raise more

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre-flop, the villain in front of you is pretty short so your implied odds are way worse.

+1

Honestly though, the villain's stack isn't the main reason to fold this. In order to set mine here for 1bb we need the 4 people behind us to limp or fold...when there's roughly a 5-10% chance that each one of them individually is going to be holding a hand worthy of raising, we're not going to get away with a limp as often as we would hope. That means we must be willing to call a raise from someone in order to properly limp here. Nobody behind you has more than 2k and the initial limper (who may shove if there's a raise behind you, that's still a possibility) only has 800. In theory we would need to put in roughly 4xbb on average if someone raises and we want to continue to the flop...and in this hand that would mean 240 chips. While that's not a lot to us, we must average 10-12x chips more than what we are calling to make a legitimate profit in a tournament game. Do we think we can win 2400-2880 on average here? Considering nobody has a stack remotely close to that, I would assume it's out of reach as an average. A few times we may end up in a multiway raised pot and get multiple people to pay us for our set...but is that going to happen frequently?

The one saving grace of limping a low PP in this type of situation is seeing the flop in position and having a chance to do exactly what you just did...but having 2 players behind you still to act and both have 30xbb or so, there's not a very great chance that they are both going to fold and give us the button. If we have reason to believe the players behind us are just that tight, the limp is slightly better.

I totally approve of the flop bet once in this situation.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your not set-mining, because if you were you are checking behind on the flop :)

We can win tons of hands by betting flops with the obv terribad villian whiffs. Not a massive fan of the preflop play, fold or raise imo.

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, another point to consider: the pot that you end up winning is 210 chips which isn't very much. It's not going to change our ability to do anything. Even winning a couple pots that size aren't going to change things that drastically. This should factor into our desire to win the pot in the first place.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pretty much a fold pre after 15/30 blind levels unless you are deeper and in later position.

set mining against shortstacks and weak ranges is pretty unprofitable.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, another point to consider: the pot that you end up winning is 210 chips which isn't very much. It's not going to change our ability to do anything. Even winning a couple pots that size aren't going to change things that drastically. This should factor into our desire to win the pot in the first place.

Yep, exactly. Even winning his stack will not change our equity postion at all really. Once we get a stack, we should aim to maintain it until the later stages. A lot of players make plays they normally wouldn't due to having a big stack. Once we get a stack like that, losing chips hurts us a lot more than winning a few more chips (Basic ICM).

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the limp pre is questionable but with such a huge stack against mainly really small stacks comparatively, it cant hurt to see a cheap flop. The bet on the flop is bad though. Never min bet. you are giving them great odds, if not great odds then really cheap, to see the turn card and try to hit a pair. I would have bet 120 there.