$6.50 SNG Hand Question.

T

tlourdeau

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this hand, I had AQ-off, and I got re-raised, at which point I felt committed to the hand. I was wondering what some of you might have done in this position. Sorry, I don't usually post these types of things, but I was talking this over with a friend and I got curious.

pokerstars Game #25291131949: Tournament #143227971, $6.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2009/02/24 0:48:42 ET
Table '143227971 1' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: Bonillafan (1915 in chips)
Seat 2: Buckin Fugly (1900 in chips)
Seat 4: tlourdeau (1950 in chips)
Seat 5: oopus (1170 in chips)
Seat 6: Dak9885 (1305 in chips)
Seat 7: tboneblackwa (2735 in chips)
Seat 8: cmeisel (1130 in chips)
Seat 9: tgirr40 (1395 in chips)
oopus: posts small blind 50
Dak9885: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to tlourdeau [Ah Qs]
tboneblackwa: folds
cmeisel: folds
tgirr40: raises 200 to 300
Bonillafan: folds
Buckin Fugly: folds
tlourdeau: raises 450 to 750
oopus: raises 420 to 1170 and is all-in
Dak9885: folds
tgirr40: folds
tlourdeau: calls 420
*** FLOP *** [9d 6h 3c]
*** TURN *** [9d 6h 3c] [Kc]
*** RIVER *** [9d 6h 3c Kc] [6c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
oopus: shows [Kh Kd] (a full house, Kings full of Sixes)
tlourdeau: shows [Ah Qs] (a pair of Sixes)
oopus collected 2740 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2740 | Rake 0
Board [9d 6h 3c Kc 6c]
Seat 1: Bonillafan folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Buckin Fugly folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: tlourdeau (button) showed [Ah Qs] and lost with a pair of Sixes
Seat 5: oopus (small blind) showed [Kh Kd] and won (2740) with a full house, Kings full of Sixes
Seat 6: Dak9885 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: tboneblackwa folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: cmeisel folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: tgirr40 folded before Flop

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played you have to call the all-in.

Next time though you should shove over the top of the original raise. Look at your stack. A proper 3-bet reraise if that is what you are committed to doing preflop should be to pop the original 300 to 900. However. we can't do that. It leaves us with only 1000 in our chip stack. We may as well shove to save us any horror flop decisions where we are going to have to shove the majority of flops whether it hits us or not. May as well get it in now.

Also look at the original raisers chip stack. His raise leaves him with 1000 behind meaning he is close to committed as well and we can't just call. If he has been playing super super-tight we can fold. Otherwise shove.

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
The book I pay the most attention to says never to play Ace-anything except AK, in a raised pot. Brunson also says pretty much the same thing in Super System II. Sklansky also says to fold AQ offsuit in a raised pot. In my opinion, you had no business calling the $300.

But Melkor is right, if you felt you had to raise, you should have gone all-in.

T

tlourdeau

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm... you're probably right, especially early. I've heard the MINIMUM flat call is AQ, but now that you mention it, AK is definitely the safer range.

Thanks guys.

H

HipHopStoner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly want to know my opinion?

AK, AQ, AJ all extremely overrated.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The book I pay the most attention to says never to play Ace-anything except AK, in a raised pot. Brunson also says pretty much the same thing in Super System II. Sklansky also says to fold AQ offsuit in a raised pot. In my opinion, you had no business calling the $300.

But Melkor is right, if you felt you had to raise, you should have gone all-in.

IMO... this is advice for a Tournament but not necessarily so for a SNG.

Bottom line in a SNG is.. you want to maintain your stack size and get to the push/fold game nearing bubble.
I think to 3-bet here a small amount like 700 does nothing but get you into trouble. Your stack size is nowhere even near large enough to do so and if you were in an MTT, you'd want to 3-bet to around 3.5x+

So... in a SNG.. look for spots where you can get it in first. In early levels you want to avoid any big confrontations & big pots without very strong.
Here you're beginning to approach mid levels but still with a full table. Basically.. are you willing to get it allin here now with the AQ? That's probably what you want to be asking yourself.

Not sure if you've taken a look at Collin Moshmann's SNG book but you might like it.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ in early position is the kiss of death.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ in early position is the kiss of death.
But we are talking about AQ:).

IMO, this is a call against a loose player who you has had a habit of pushing weak aces, but a fold against a tight player who has been playing a solid game.

TiltMonkey999

TiltMonkey999

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion AQ is cursed. the odds of you winning the hand after he reraised were very low. you probably felt upset with folding those cards so you decided to push. at least it was a 6.50 dollar lesson, not more
good luck at the tables!
Ray

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands