$6.50 NLHE 45-man SNG: bubble decision with AJ

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, question for those who know the ICMs. Calling here is correct, yes? Villains perceived range is ATC. Maybe you can drop out the absolute trash/bottom 10-15%. But ATC is really much more representative.

This is the bubble of a 45-man, top 7 get paid. $$-84/60/42/30/24/18/12.

Poker Stars $6.00+$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t300/t600 Blinds + t50 - 8 players - View hand 1040001
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

MP1: t2498 M = 1.92
MP2: t4170 M = 3.21
CO: t9212 M = 7.09
BTN: t23598 M = 18.15
SB: t3785 M = 2.91
Hero (BB): t7352 M = 5.66
UTG: t14490 M = 11.15
UTG+1: t2395 M = 1.84

Pre Flop: (t1300) Hero is BB with J A
5 folds, BTN raises to t23548 all in, 1 fold

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say that's actually a fold-- look at the stacks around you. There are two stacks with M < 2, and another two with M ~ 3. With any of those guys about to bust, your range must tighten up. If we had close to t3000, it'd definitely be a call, but not here.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I used SNGEGT & ICM Explorer correctly here, a call and a win only increases your EV by 2% and you almost gain that much by waiting for the 2 shortest stacks to fold. My calcs say you need better than 70-30 to call here.

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^ This is an easy laydown IMHO. You still have over M5 after the blinds have passed. I prolly fold everything there except KK or AA. This may seem a little conservative but even AK against ATC isn't worth busting out on the bubble with plenty of chips left.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I used SNGEGT & ICM Explorer correctly here, a call and a win only increases your EV by 2% and you almost gain that much by waiting for the 2 shortest stacks to fold. My calcs say you need better than 70-30 to call here.

Does this assume it's a STT, or does it factor in the different pay-out structure?

Okay, question for those who know the ICMs. Calling here is correct, yes? Villains perceived range is ATC. Maybe you can drop out the absolute trash/bottom 10-15%. But ATC is really much more representative.

This is the bubble of a 45-man, top 7 get paid. $$-84/60/42/30/24/18/12.

Ugh what a ugly spot. Can't SnG wiz it due to technical probs, can't even use pokerstove :(

ajo 62.91% 12,949,605,720 497,320,272 85% 37.09% 7,532,222,616 497,320,272ProPokerTools :D

Did you have some read that he's pushing this wide? As poker players, we tend to think, "well I'd do that in that spot so he's more likely to do so to" which is utter bs. Anyone else here baffled when facing a open btn limp with 15BB effective?

Anyone, 85% is hands that have some sort of potential. If I remember correctly, removes the T and under hands that can't make straights(T5/83/etc), and 32/42. Of course ranges are subjective but most people recognize this range as absolute garbage. What I'm getting at, 85% seems reasonable, not many players can push the 72o, at least it seems.

You're getting 1.1:1, so you have to win 48% to be break even chip wise. Therefore, you make 2157 chips if he's pushing 85%. meh. At first I thought this was a fold but that's a lot of chips.... Like a 25% increase to our stack

Would be a lot better if the guy to your left didn't have so much chips. If he was tagged as aggressive than this is a clear fold, since we wouldn't be able to use our chip stack as effectively. If I had some guy on the right of me who was min raising with the same table dynamics I'd push ATC if he was competent, since he can't really ever call. Usually the reason he min raises is so he can fold to our push and call everyone's else.

Even though the cEV gain here is huge, I reckon this is still a fold. Chances are, the bubble will burst in 3 hands + it'd be pretty gross to bust here knowing that we are in a fantastic spot to make some $$ Think about all those looovely pushing spots that are about to arise. If the big guy doesn't slow down when the bubble bursts, people will get fed up and bust, not exactly what we desire but not terrible either. I reckon fold AKo here too, it's not much better than AJo if he's pushing so wide. I'd speculate that a calling range here would be AKs/TT+, perhaps JJ+

Reworded, it's not just because of the bubble that this is a fold(fairly certain). It's because we're in a prime situation. We can safely accumulate chips whilst moving up the pay-out structure

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^ This is an easy laydown IMHO. You still have over M5 after the blinds have passed. I prolly fold everything there except KK or AA. This may seem a little conservative but even AK against ATC isn't worth busting out on the bubble with plenty of chips left.

seems incredibly nitty, you'd fold QQ here???? I love playing against guys who fold that much

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seems incredibly nitty, you'd fold QQ here???? I love playing against guys who fold that much

I will say right now I fold QQ here, but prolly won't. I know I have been in this situation and called with 1010+ AJos+ but I don't think it is the correct call. Just saying I would rather push my M5 stack at someone in position after the blinds have passed then to stack off with AJ or even AQ here. Even if he flipped over 74os you still have a pretty good chance of getting knocked out. Once you call that's it. You have no fold equity and if he draws better than you then you are done. Even if you put him on a range where you are 2 to 1 there are much better places to get chips without risking everything.

It's just I would rather go out being the aggressor than to go out making a "good call" when most likely you have a 35% chance or better of going out.

BTW, I would call much lighter against him if the bubble were already burst.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just I would rather go out being the aggressor than to go out making a "good call" when most likely you have a 35% chance or better of going out.

I used to have this mindset too. And i understand why it makes sense, but if we are passing up on good call down spots, we're passing up on spots where we should be netting a ton of equity in tournaments. So think about it, when we shove into someone, sure we have the chance to take their blinds without a showdown, which nets a little chunk of equity at less risk. However when we get called, we're usually crushed, but we still win a small % of the time, but lose a much higher %.

When we make a call down, it's usually for one of two reasons. We have generous pot odds, or we have a hand that is far ahead of villians range. So in that situation, we are calling because we presume we are ahead, so we play a huge pot, which nets us a huge amount of equity if we win, but it's also a pretty big risk, however taking one call down spot like that is less of a risk than shoving into the same player 4-5 times in a row i would say.

Anyways what i'm getting at is that if we pass up on good call down spots, we're passing up on a ton of equity, and letting loose shovers exploit us. If we show to call down light, they also may think twice about shoving on us in the future, making this even better for us, as we may get walks!

BTW, I would call much lighter against him if the bubble were already burst.

What makes an ITM decision differant from this bubble decision?

When the payout structures are flat like a 9 man SNG, then getting ITM is really crucial, as it's where we lock in 20% of the prize pool, and it's where 60% of the prize pool is given out. In a 45 man, (generally) 4 % is given out in 7th place, so it's not a huge gain for us. the payouts are the following

4% - 7% - 9% - 11% - 16% - 22% - 31%

7th- 1st

Ok so let's quickly run some ICm calculations, you can do them yourself using any ICm calculator that lets you run it up to 10 positions. (http://www.icmpoker.com)

Ok so lets run it for the bubble situation above.

Right now, we have ~13% equity.
If we call and lose we have 0%.
If we call and win we jump to ~18%

So right there we risk 13% equity to gain 5% equity, yay. So obviously it tells us we need a super strong hand to be able to call here, unpaired hands like AK simply don't do well enough against loose ranges to justify calling, which is why paired hands like 99+ do so well against loose ranges, they have the chance to get it in as an 80% favourite a hell of a lot more than AK can.

So lets run the same situation, but this time we are ITM and see how much this changes when we have 4% of the prize pool locked up.

So now we have around ~13% equity still even when we jump ITM.

If we call and lose it's now 4% we finish with, Awesome.

If we call and win, it jumps to ~18.5%

So it's essentially the same scenario, but this time, instead of being left with 0%, we now get 4%. Yipee! So it's a very similar range we should be calling with, those big paired hands are going to do well.

Other than ICM, we should also take into account how the stack sizes correlate. Like how we sit in relation to other stack sizes. Pat said we're in a great position, i'm inclined to disagree. We have a big stack on our right, who can shove super wide into us, and we have a big stack on our left who we have to be a little more risk averse against. So the stacks arn't really setup in our favour, making us a little looser in taking bigger risks.

How does gaining a stack of say 15k help us in the future? Well it will help us a lot actually, we can now shove much wider into the stack on our left, and the stack on our right will most likely tighten his range.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@Wizzim:

To what extent can one use these ICM calculators? I've been ignoring them due to a fear of learning incorrect plays. Bad?

Hmm turns out 88 is as strong as AKs here, interesting. Makes sense though

I said we're in a good position? Hmm if I did I take that back, completely agree

EDIT: Oh I said good situation. I guess my way of saying we have a decent amount of equity to risk it here. By the way, great post

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow. Great response Wizzim. So it's essentially a matter of calling with the right pot odds to equity type thing? ICM simply dictates a very tight calling range because we want to be shoving until we're closer to the top 3 spots or something?

pat3392 said:
Did you have some read that he's pushing this wide? As poker players, we tend to think, "well I'd do that in that spot so he's more likely to do so to" which is utter bs. Anyone else here baffled when facing a open btn limp with 15BB effective?

I had a "gut feeling" which came from a number of small factors. He'd shoved a fair number of the hands I'd seen of his, but I had very few hands on him. He was a 3-star that was multi-tabling ~8 tables. So I tend to project a number of assumptions onto that kind of player, including an ability to pushbot somewhat correctly. Meaning ATC from that spot.

Re: the 15bb BTN limp is always confusing. Really player dependent.

I did wind up calling there, losing to J3o. These are the spots where I feel I make some of the most critical errors. Do these considerations change the decision here from fold to call ever? --> My position at the table sucked and the shoving player gave every impression of being about ready to try and dominate the bubble/FT. Just didn't think I could fold and ever really see a profitable shove spot again.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Does this assume it's a STT, or does it factor in the different pay-out structure?

SNGEGT appears to. Here's a screenie of my calc

Attachments

• __0a.JPG
    __0a.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 22
DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to have this mindset too. And i understand why it makes sense, but if we are passing up on good call down spots, we're passing up on spots where we should be netting a ton of equity in tournaments. So think about it, when we shove into someone, sure we have the chance to take their blinds without a showdown, which nets a little chunk of equity at less risk. However when we get called, we're usually crushed, but we still win a small % of the time, but lose a much higher %.

When we make a call down, it's usually for one of two reasons. We have generous pot odds, or we have a hand that is far ahead of villians range. So in that situation, we are calling because we presume we are ahead, so we play a huge pot, which nets us a huge amount of equity if we win, but it's also a pretty big risk, however taking one call down spot like that is less of a risk than shoving into the same player 4-5 times in a row i would say.

Anyways what i'm getting at is that if we pass up on good call down spots, we're passing up on a ton of equity, and letting loose shovers exploit us. If we show to call down light, they also may think twice about shoving on us in the future, making this even better for us, as we may get walks!

What makes an ITM decision differant from this bubble decision?

When the payout structures are flat like a 9 man SNG, then getting ITM is really crucial, as it's where we lock in 20% of the prize pool, and it's where 60% of the prize pool is given out. In a 45 man, (generally) 4 % is given out in 7th place, so it's not a huge gain for us. the payouts are the following

4% - 7% - 9% - 11% - 16% - 22% - 31%

7th- 1st

Ok so let's quickly run some ICm calculations, you can do them yourself using any ICm calculator that lets you run it up to 10 positions. (http://www.icmpoker.com)

Ok so lets run it for the bubble situation above.

Right now, we have ~13% equity.
If we call and lose we have 0%.
If we call and win we jump to ~18%

So right there we risk 13% equity to gain 5% equity, yay. So obviously it tells us we need a super strong hand to be able to call here, unpaired hands like AK simply don't do well enough against loose ranges to justify calling, which is why paired hands like 99+ do so well against loose ranges, they have the chance to get it in as an 80% favourite a hell of a lot more than AK can.

So lets run the same situation, but this time we are ITM and see how much this changes when we have 4% of the prize pool locked up.

So now we have around ~13% equity still even when we jump ITM.

If we call and lose it's now 4% we finish with, Awesome.

If we call and win, it jumps to ~18.5%

So it's essentially the same scenario, but this time, instead of being left with 0%, we now get 4%. Yipee! So it's a very similar range we should be calling with, those big paired hands are going to do well.

Other than ICM, we should also take into account how the stack sizes correlate. Like how we sit in relation to other stack sizes. Pat said we're in a great position, i'm inclined to disagree. We have a big stack on our right, who can shove super wide into us, and we have a big stack on our left who we have to be a little more risk averse against. So the stacks arn't really setup in our favour, making us a little looser in taking bigger risks.

How does gaining a stack of say 15k help us in the future? Well it will help us a lot actually, we can now shove much wider into the stack on our left, and the stack on our right will most likely tighten his range.

This all makes sense and I must admit I don't play MTT or large SNGs too much. Calling with AJ though seems borderline at best. What do you think is the lowest to call with given the info you have? I still think I would rather call with 10 10+ rather than AJ+. I think maybe 10 10 + and AK maybe AQ soooted. I do plan on adding more MTTs and larger field SNGs soon. One table STT are getting very boring to me and I am losing interest real quick. It would be nice to know if I am making a good call or not in the same situation when I bust out doing it.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This all makes sense and I must admit I don't play MTT or large SNGs too much. Calling with AJ though seems borderline at best. What do you think is the lowest to call with given the info you have? I still think I would rather call with 10 10+ rather than AJ+. I think maybe 10 10 + and AK maybe AQ soooted. I do plan on adding more MTTs and larger field SNGs soon. One table STT are getting very boring to me and I am losing interest real quick. It would be nice to know if I am making a good call or not in the same situation when I bust out doing it.

Probably, 99+ and probably AK. AQ is in the muck, AK is probably a fold normally, but we're in a sucky spot so i'd rather call off here. This all presumes the button is shoving really wide. I don't really know though mate, i'm just guessing really, i don't play MT SNGs very often either. Played a few 180 mans the other night and had absolutely no idea what i was doing, luckily my opponants had even less of an idea.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@Wizzim:

To what extent can one use these ICM calculators? I've been ignoring them due to a fear of learning incorrect plays. Bad?

Well they only tell you how much equity you have in a particular spot, so it's not telling you to call or raise with certain ranges. However it gives you an idea of how much your stack is worth in terms of real $. When we get ITM in these things, even on the final table, i feel we need to look at it in terms of what the best $EV decision is.

So calculators like this can show you how much you stand to gain by doubling up or folding in a particular spot. It's really useful to work this stuff out away from the table so that when you're in a similar position, you know you have roughly X amount of equity.

Just remember when you double yourself up to include taking all the antes and blinds away from the other players, they make a huge differance.