$55 NLHE MTT: Bad fold with 10bb?

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mates, I was playing this 055 tournament, and I wonder if this fold was a mistake.

Although it is a 055 tournament, I always try to play well that I can, low tournaments and freerolls.

I only had 10bb, AQo in the BTN, but there was a lot of pre flop action, I thought my hand was dominated by AK QQ, or playing a flip vs JJ TT.
But I decided to fold, what would you have done.

https://www.boomplayer.com/31735382_82F42937AC

gl mates :) :p

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
by the title looks like it was $55 but it was $0.55 tourney, anyway
you were in ITM at this point?
if yes i would call, otherwise good fold

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It will be good call for good pot. I think you will get good chance of bank

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
by the title looks like it was $55 but it was $0.55 tourney, anyway
you were in ITM at this point?
if yes i would call, otherwise good fold
I do not remember, but I did fold, for so much pre flop action.

It will be good call for good pot. I think you will get good chance of bank
You are right, that should have been thought when doing fold.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’d fold in this spot. You might get multiple callers with all the other 3 small stacks and then AQ doesn’t do that well. I might call with J10 suited but fold AQ but that’s just me.

riverokker

riverokker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Horrible fold. You only have 10BB ANY ACE go All-IN. You need a double up bad. Your one of the lowest stacks at the table. It's an instant all in. Good Luck at The Tables!

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Great fold mate. I think your assessment was correct preflop.
With the action before you, You easily could have been up against AK, AJ, and QQ. Not gonna win that very often. I am surprised when people call off all of their chips with any ace late in a tournament, a raise, 2 calls and an allin. Keep assessing the play and making correct decisions.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Horrible fold. You only have 10BB ANY ACE go All-IN. You need a double up bad. Your one of the lowest stacks at the table. It's an instant all in. Good Luck at The Tables!
with the Action in front of him it's definitly not an instant all-in with AQo.

UTG raise, UTG+1 call and MP call and then a 3bet shove from the table chip leader. with he Action given - even in a 0.55 Turbo MTT - you are Always behind here.
Another Problem is that after we call, we don't know what UTG UTG+1 and MP are going to do. So we don't know if we are up against 1 or 4 opponents.
If we Play vs 3 I would Discount at least 1-2 Outs so we have to draw on 4-5 Outs and in worst case we Play against AK and QQ and are kinda drawing dead.

If we are first to act, it's Always a shove, but with the Action given I would not mind a fold, even with such a strong Hand and only 10bb behind. AQo is too weak in a multiway all-in

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with the Action in front of him it's definitly not an instant all-in with AQo.

UTG raise, UTG+1 call and MP call and then a 3bet shove from the table chip leader. with he Action given - even in a 0.55 Turbo MTT - you are Always behind here.
Another Problem is that after we call, we don't know what UTG UTG+1 and MP are going to do. So we don't know if we are up against 1 or 4 opponents.
If we Play vs 3 I would Discount at least 1-2 Outs so we have to draw on 4-5 Outs and in worst case we Play against AK and QQ and are kinda drawing dead.

If we are first to act, it's Always a shove, but with the Action given I would not mind a fold, even with such a strong Hand and only 10bb behind. AQo is too weak in a multiway all-in

I definitely agree with the fold. You have bigger stacks calling and then a raise, with your action you will have players after you again. This is not a 100% call , I don't care what the buy-in. AQo in this spot is definitely not going to be the best hand and it could be dominated. Good fold- YES if you are first to act it is definitely a shove but not here in this spot

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely bad fold. When you have that short of a stack you have to shove with your monster hands. If you're folding that, you're basically saying I'm waiting for AA. This isn't a winning strategy.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great fold mate. I think your assessment was correct preflop.
With the action before you, You easily could have been up against AK, AJ, and QQ. Not gonna win that very often. I am surprised when people call off all of their chips with any ace late in a tournament, a raise, 2 calls and an allin. Keep assessing the play and making correct decisions.

I cannot believe how many are posting that any A is a shove. I know "we" are a bunch of recreational players but no one is even considering the position at the table and the action in front of him. Everyone can download ICMizer or Snap shove and use the free version to find out this is a fold :aetsch: BUT hey that is why an old donkey like me is winning at low stakes Mtts online. Keep on shoving Ax !!!!!! Please don't get mad , I am just having fun. I just posted my own hand with me punting!!!!

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely bad fold. When you have that short of a stack you have to shove with your monster hands. If you're folding that, you're basically saying I'm waiting for AA. This isn't a winning strategy.
calling an all-in with such poor equity is not a good strategy either

you have to consider the table dynamic and not only your Hand. with the Action given, AQo is nowhere near a Monster and can't be compared with AA

just a short calculation:
let's give them some ranges (for calling the shove, not for minraise + calling)
UTG calling range 77+ AJs+ AQo+
same range for UTG+1
MP 3bet shoving range 66+ ATs+ AJo+ KQs
I doubt that UTG would call here with any A after a minraise. same for UTG+1.
also, MP is not going to shove with a very wide range after UTG open and 2 caller. he should be Aware that UTG is not raising with a weak Hand.

against those ranges you have ~15% Equity with AQo.
not a good spot

even if I give all 3 a VERY wide range (any Axs, any 2 Broadway Cards, ATo, any pp) you still have only 23% equity

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With that preflop action, a fold is not bad. You have another round to pick up a hand where you can be the aggressor, rather than just calling someone else's shove.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The two field callers pretty much never have a premium hand, and with their chips + the blinds and antes there is a lot of dead chips in that pot to fight for. And like others have noted, you are down to 10BB, so you kind of need to chip up soon to run deeper in this tournament.

It is fairly close though, since there are some scenarios, where AQ is completely toast like AQ vs. QQ vs. AK or AQ vs. KK vs. AK. Or even just one player having AA. And you are against two uncapped ranges, so this is not the greatest of spots. Its largely a question of, how you want to play. And for me I have to say, that stakes would matter a little bit here. Its a 55c tournament, so is it really that important to hang on with a short stack and try to min-cash or level up? For me it seem like a good spot to "go strong or go home".

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did the math, even if the guy with 99 had KK instead of the 99, you would have 20% of chance of winning. That will give you in average 1 big blind. So bad fold in my opinion

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone can download ICMizer or Snap shove and use the free version to find out this is a fold.

I actually tried to plug this hand in as a scenario in ICMizer, but the program refused to perform any calculation, because there were to many VPIPs in front of Hero. Apparently it can only handle up to 3, and here we were looking at 4. I will certainly not say, that any AX is a jam here with that action in front of us, but AK is for sure, and AQ at least need to be seriously considered.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
even if I give all 3 a VERY wide range (any Axs, any 2 Broadway Cards, ATo, any pp) you still have only 23% equity

There is no easy way to perform equity calculations in a spot like this, because there are so many different scenarios. We might go heads up against the raiser with a ton of dead chips in the pot, or we might get called by any other player or a combination of them and go multiway. Even the blinds will sometimes come along, if they wake up with a hand, or they are just bad and want to gamble.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The table is too aggressive and 10VB is not enough for long. You simply will not be allowed to play and the blinds will gobble up your stack. I think in this situation the AQ hand is quite enough for the all-in and looking at the development of events would be very profitable for you.:star:

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think with 10bb we cant be too picky and have to take this spot. yes, maybe we are behind the range of the guy who jammed but there is SO much money in the pot and we have a good hand. we are risking 10bb to win about 30bb.....and that's assuming everyone folds (which is a great result) our pot odds are almost 3:1 (2.86:1 to be exact) so we only need about 25% equity to be break even. AQo will usually have this vs most ranges. but even if there is another caller then yes, our equity gets worse, but our pot odds get better. I think this is a spot I can't pass up and I will expect to be out frequently, or be sitting pretty with about 30-40bb about a quarter of the time. gotta rip it in sometime!!

you can't win tourneys without taking some high variance lines in spots to win a lot of chips. I think this is one of those spots, but I will admit it is kinda borderline. I think KQ and AJ are probably folds. AJs is much closer for me (depends on my reads or stats on the jammer) as for pairs I probably rip it in with 99+

Folding in Poker