$55 NLHE MTT: $55 NLHE MTT:

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What would you have done here?

pokerstars Hand #123400743339: Tournament #998481618, $50+$5 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level III (20/40) - 2014/10/17 21:27:32 CET [2014/10/17 15:27:32 ET]
Table '998481618 32' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: QuattroJJ (2925 in chips)
Seat 2: walmer555 (3000 in chips)
Seat 3: babarogaxy (2418 in chips)
Seat 4: tatwaffe19 (4870 in chips)
Seat 5: Pokbrainless (3170 in chips)
Seat 6: jericyong (3785 in chips)
Seat 7: alexserge (1485 in chips)
Seat 8: C4trups!! (3865 in chips)
Seat 9: under par551 (2745 in chips)
tatwaffe19: posts small blind 20
Pokbrainless: posts big blind 40
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Pokbrainless [Qc As]
jericyong: folds
alexserge: folds
C4trups!!: folds
under par551: folds
QuattroJJ: folds
walmer555: folds
babarogaxy: raises 80 to 120
tatwaffe19: folds
Pokbrainless: raises 280 to 400
babarogaxy: calls 280
*** FLOP *** [9h Jd 7c]
Pokbrainless: checks
babarogaxy: bets 600
Pokbrainless: folds
Uncalled bet (600) returned to babarogaxy
babarogaxy collected 820 from pot
babarogaxy: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 820 | Rake 0
Board [9h Jd 7c]
Seat 1: QuattroJJ folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: walmer555 folded
before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: babarogaxy (button) collected (820)
Seat 4: tatwaffe19 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: Pokbrainless (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 6: jericyong folded before Flop (didn't bet)

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes , its fine game, check on dry board... When villain bet , he dont give you right pot odds what call , so better fold in flop...

About preflop game , i am not think here make sense 3bet with AQo, its not very strong hand, and 3bet pot its hand play difficult ,,, 3bet make sense what vilain only fold hand or we make this for value,,, AQo hand not for value in 3bet pot , but in flop with this hand you can play, so better call in preflop...

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes , its fine game, check on dry board... When villain bet , he dont give you right pot odds what call , so better fold in flop...

About preflop game , i am not think here make sense 3bet with AQo, its not very strong hand, and 3bet pot its hand play difficult ,,, 3bet make sense what vilain only fold hand or we make this for value,,, AQo hand not for value in 3bet pot , but in flop with this hand you can play, so better call in preflop...

He was very loose pre, so it was a 3bet for value. Even made it on the bigger side cause of that in combination with playing the pot OOP.

K

kefir

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have bet the flop. I mean checking after 3 betting pre, it screams either I have nothing or I am so strong, that I want you in the pot. Do you want to scream any of that to him?
and in any case would have called his bet with intention eithe rto fold to a pot sized bet on the turn or raise anything less than 0.5 pot.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
c/f on this flop is fine > 97J completely misses our range and pretty much nails his, I really don't see this guy folding any hand IP to a cbet here. So unless you plan on double barrelling c/f here is fine.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if he likes to fold lots post flop you can fire a small c-bet, otherwise c/f i guess.

I almost always prefer to just flat call here though pre flop, we take a smaller pot, but against players who are bad/loose, we can pick up big pots from them by just flat calling anyways, so i fail to see the need to get more money in pre flop.

My main reasoning here is that it's going to be pretty easy to build a pot if we both connect with a flop anyways the pot will be around 260ish and he only has 2200 behind, a check/raise on the flop and two barrels gets the money in, or donk bet/triple barrel will do the same, so i like to avoid these situations where we whiff flops 2/3s of the time against players who call too much.

Theoretically it's fine to 3bet, but in the real world i think this hand plays better in a smaller pot pre flop, and we keep his whole range in there (even though he will defend wide as the op mentioned) It just seems retarded to have to c/f the flop here when we're still doing pretty well against his range of hands that he will defend with.

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looks ok if opponent is loose-aggressive. Though might go for call pre-flop if he doesn't fold after flop easily and keeps firing bullets to keep our strength hidden and for pot control. Otherwise we too often play OOP with 2,5 pots left eff. with A-high.

A

Aslama01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop: Button bets into big blind, big blind reraises with AQ and the button calls. I'm guessing his range is any marginal hand and up, good place to pick up chips.

Flop: Hero checks and villain bets 3/4 pot. Hero folds. Still any marginal and up as there's no point in giving up on a board like this. So my guess is he spiked a jack with a mediocre kicker and wants to cash in on a skeptical opponent or end the hand now. That or air and betting heavy to find out then and there.

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
early levels out of the BB just flat it is pretty hard to play OOP this deep without a very nutted hand and AQo just misses and doesn't enough barreling power. If this were AQs it makes a big difference, the deeper we get the more important nutted draws become and we only have a few possible nutted draws with this hand

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol @ people who say not to 3 bet.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol @ people who say not to 3 bet.

This is not cash for you , in MTT when villain unknown 3bet against him this very crazy move vs UTG range , most of the time if we flop miss , and he cbet we must fold....
Just fold preflop this too good .... After we have a lot people who can call too, and in pot already will be play difficult...

So go play cash LOL...

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well, the question you asked was "What would you have done here?

And preflop I would have re-raised to about 350, and I would have bet out about 400 on the flop and then shutdown after that if my Cbet failed and I didn't improve.

However....WiZZiM's post makes a lot of valid points. I don't think there's anything wrong with playing it the way he suggests. Actually, I think it would be wise to "mix up" the way you play strong-ish hands like AQo in spots like this, sometimes 3bet and sometimes flat. My preference would be something like 70% of the time 3bet and 30% of the time flat but obviously a lot depends on villain, table, tourney type etc.