$5000 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: nut flush on flop slow play?

P

Phlegmatic

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So i flopped the nuts on the wsop App the flop came K 4 9 diamonds i am holding ace 3 diamonds. The hand is 3 way i was in position and called a raise pre flop. One opponent bets like 3000 i call and the person to my left calls; the person to my left has flopped a set i later find out. Im slow playing the nuts my third opponent hit a lower flush. The turn brings an insignificant card bringing neither a straight or any better hand to the table. The bet from my right is 6000. We all call. Now the river comes a second king. Initial raiser puts 9000 i call, then the person to my right pushes all in for another two. (I'm the bigger stack out of the 3). Then the person to my right goes over the top all in and i call. The person to my left hit his 9's full. My question is, Am i wrong for slow playing what was the nuts in this situation? Also, am i wrong for calling the river all in? Thanks.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is a spot where you can slowplay. But in general multiway pots there is less value in slowplaying than in heads up pots. because there are more people in the hand in a multiway pot it's more likely somebody has something they can look you up with. However, as described you FLOPPED SO HARD that slowplaying is fine.

Also, there is so little risk of being sucked out on (but obviously it can happen). First of all, somebody has to have started with a pair preflop and then they need to have flopped a set which is already really hard to do (1/8 or 12.5%). Then the board has to pair which will only happen like 1/3 of the time (again, assuming this is one of the 12% of times that they flopped a set to begin with. the 2 happening in conjuction is .12 x .33 = something like 3% of the time. and again, that's only assuming they started with a pocket pair. not every opponent in a hand with you will even start with a pocket pair. so it's actually less than 3% of the time that they will eventually suck out on you. so yeah....go ahead and slowplay right here.

However, once the board pairs on the river you have to wince a little bit. But once BOTH players go all in on the river then you are generally beat in at least one spot. it's sick. but you have to make a well disciplined fold on this river.

I recently folded 2nd best boat on the river in a 3 way pot because it kept going raise, re-raise, re-raise on the river and I finally figured out that I was beat at least once if not twice. I had the 3rd best had I was facing quads and the nut boat! sick spots do happen and poker is a game of information, once they have given you all that info sometimes you can know that even very strong hands are no good.

By the way....why did you say this is a $5,000 tourney? sounds like it's a social app...like free poker?

P

Phlegmatic

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it is a social app, I apologize I'm no good on this website. i have only done a few posts and am still getting the hang of the site. I was in a hurry to post so i just put down the first thing i saw. It was actually a 500,000 buy in mtt final table out of two. Thanks for the insight, I did wince in disgust when the king came on the river and just knew i was beat. From the outside looking in i should make this lay down with such aggressive action no longer holding the nuts. In this particular app you have maybe 6 seconds to make a decision so i just went with it. I just wanted to make sure i was making an ok choice to slow play at first. My initial thought was to re-raise with such a strong hand but the action i was getting was too great to think otherwise. Since its imaginary chips its not a bad beat. Just gross. Thanks a bunch for the input.

MrBadAss

MrBadAss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you have to raise your nuts on the river because you can have penalties if you dont raise such has the best hand in that round

Full Flush Poker