Tournament Hand Analysis - READ BEFORE POSTING!!!

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Total posts
How to Post a Hand Analysis Thread

Click the New Hand button found at the top left of the Tournament Hand Analysis forum:

Tournament HA

There are some simple basic rules in the Tournament Hand Analysis forum:

1. Provide a descriptive title. For members of the forum, it's a lot easier to decide whether to read a thread if it's obvious what the thread is about.

Here are some descriptive titles:

"KQ hits 2pr on turn, villain shoves. My move?"
"QQ vs preflop reraise"
"Second nut low, nut flush draw vs crazy 3way flop action"
"Fold AA on this coordinated board?"

Here are some useless titles:

"OMG what a donk"
"Should I have folded here?"
"Was this play okay?"

2. There are some simple fields in the form that you need to enter that indicate what the game format is. These are automatically set up as a prefix to your thread title (i.e., "25NL HE: QQ vs preflop raise"), so there's no need to add the game format to your title.

3. Use our hand converter. Unconverted hand histories are much more difficult to read than converted hand histories. In addition, unconverted hands imply but don't state what the pot size is on each street - hand converters automatically display that important piece of information. Plus ours has a cool replayer feature. :)

4. Provide any available information about table dynamics and villain tendencies in the opening post. These things are as important as your cards to good hand analysis.

5. Do NOT indicate what the outcome of the hand is, especially in the opening post. This is a truly irrelevant piece of information, since it's an unknown variable when you acted throughout the hand. It also biases the analysis - if I know that you got sucked out on the river, I may not think clearly about what your action should have been on the flop.

6. Do NOT post brags and bad beats in Hand Analysis. Post those in the Brags, Bad Beats and Challenges forum. Believe me, we feel for you, we sympathize, we've been there, we're happy for you, you're an awesome player - but that's not relevant to hand analysis.

7. Do NOT post in Hand Analysis for the sake of posting. If you're commenting in a thread, try to have something to contribute, whether it's proposing a solution, an amplification of a point someone else has already made, or a question about the analysis. Posts like "Ditto", "Nice hand", "me too" do not add value to the hand and will be deleted.

8. Read the entire thread. Some threads are too long to make this practical every time, but it's rare for this to be the case in HA. If someone's already made the point you're making, don't make your point (unless you're extending the point already made). If the point you're about to make is at odds with another post in the thread, take that other post into account in making your post.

9. Do NOT resurrect old threads unless there's a real reason to do so.

10. Threads/Posts in poor English will be deleted. It is imperative that posts in this forum be in good English and are easy to ready and understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Total posts
If You've Never Participated in Hand Analysis Before:

If you're a newer player, or new to poker strategy discussions, hand analysis is one of the most valuable tools available for learning. While reading and watching videos are important tools in learning the game, there's no substitute for actually playing - and then reviewing your play to see where a better play may have been available. If you don't review the hands you play and look for better ways to have played specific situations, you're missing out on some great improvement opportunities.

While you're reviewing hands, you'll frequently have questions about the situation - that's where hand analysis comes in - you can post your hands in the appropriate HA forum (Tournament or Cash) and get feedback from the Cardschat community.

HA is also a place where you can interact with like-minded players pursuing the same learning opportunities - peer discussion is one of the best tools available for improving your game, and can lead to sweat sessions and further discussions in and outside the forum.

Be prepared for a lot of fun and some great insights into different ways to play the game. But also be prepared to have your preconceptions challenged by a community composed of newer, intermediate, and experienced players. Check your ego at the door, there are very few of us who couldn't stand to learn more about the game.

For some specifics:

1. Skim through some of the threads in the HA forums, you'll get a sense for how analysis is performed and what you can gain from it.

2. Be prepared to be challenged if you state something as a fact. If you say "He always has AA here", get ready to say why you think that if it's not completely obvious.

3. If you're relatively new to poker strategy, be prepared to have a lot of ideas you may be taking for granted challenged. If you think AK is an overrated hand, or that JJ is unplayable, or have never heard of things like "ranges", "ICM", "M", or "stack to pot ratio", there are a lot of cool fun ideas waiting for you in the HA forums. But getting the most out of hand analysis as an activity will require you to be open to new ideas - look forward to having some of your basic ideas about the game challenged.

4. We have some great threads related to poker strategy collected in the Golden Archives forum - this is another great tool available at Cardschat, you'll want to browse that forum while you're participating in the HA forums. You'll also want to use the "Search" function here to find threads on topics that you're unfamiliar with, but interested in.

5. If some of the lingo is unfamiliar, check out this thread: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/commonly-used-poker-abbreviations-terms-80492/

6. Please be respectful of other participants in HA. Keep in mind that different players are at different points in their learning curves.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Total posts
Handfire! for Firefox (hand converter)

Firefox users should install this.

It is a hand converter called HandFire!

Once installed, set it up for the following.

PHP BB Forums
Hide Results
Use Position aliases

Then simply copy the HH you want to post by highlighting, right clicking and select copy.

Click the HandFire button in the browser (the new button this addon puts there)

Then when you paste the HH is converted nicely.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8873

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Total posts
SUPER HAPPY NEW TIP FOR FUNTIME HAND ANALYSIS POSTING

Don't spam the board with threads. Making a pageful of threads in the period of a day (or however long) is stupid for the following reasons:

- It means there is practically no chance of you taking the information provided in the threads in and having any sort of decent discussion.

- People will be less inclined to bother replying to your threads if there are 4867498 of them on the forum's topic list.

- It makes the forum look ugly.

- It pisses people off.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
This has been updated - please read it and let us know if you have any questions!

W

Wellingtonaakkk

Enthusiast
Total posts
I think it's unfair, when I come from Aces and the guy wins me 2-2.
because then the game is without technique, can not fold with Aces, it is always difficult to win in the showdown with high level players and in tournaments.
Not being able to analyze hands like this, want to stop instituting so much time without return.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Total posts
Fold a AA pre flop is very very rare. I saw on TV once, 3 players, final table, two ALL IN, the third one folded AA.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Total posts
Those Hands analysis should be short text. Very long only confuses people.
Be more objective guys. Straight to the point.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Total posts
Awards
BR
Those Hands analysis should be short text. Very long only confuses people.
Be more objective guys. Straight to the point.

Indeed, there are some HH that has a lot of superfluous data but missing the main.

manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Total posts
Hi dear moderators.I got a question. can we share hands from share my pair, Boom, pokerhand.org , etc.? or Do we have to do manually?

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Im playing from my phone. Any way of finding a hand converter for android?

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Total posts
friends hello. I started to learn poker with a cache of games, but I want now to learn mtt. in the cash games on the microliths gave up the game, I want to study in mt. Can I play and play cache and mtt? compatible? started in a cache with $ 50 and stop playing cash games. my results at a distance of 9600 hands. but I want to learn mtt. DSC 0125View attachment 202093View attachment 202089DSC 0124DSC 0123DSC 0122DSC 0121

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
PRE FLOP AQo x ??

In that hand i had half of my opponent's chips. I made a 2x bet, he paid. The flop came with 226. He checked, so i bet everything. He showed K6. What do you think?

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
Hi

When I have pairs of high cards, it is difficult for me to win, I do not understand it, sometimes I think that poker is against me

webwiser

webwiser

Enthusiast
Total posts
Fold a AA pre flop is very very rare. I saw on TV once, 3 players, final table, two ALL IN, the third one folded AA.
Depending on the situation, if there is ICM involved, some high pay jumping in the event of an elimination in the tournament, I believe it may be ok to fold AA preflop. In poker everything depends on other factors.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands