Z

Zybomb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$500 NL HE Deep Stacked: I hate poker

450 left avg stack 20k 306 paid

Was moved to this table 2-3 orbits ago. This is the first reraise pre I have seen out of villain. Overall he has played a few pots but I haven't been at the table long enough to have a read on how loose he is playing.

full tilt poker Tournament game, buy-in $1 Million Guarantee (82731287), T$300.00/T$600.00 No Limit, 8/9 players

CO: T$49304
Button: T$19792
SB: T$5060
BB: T$10486
HERO (UTG): T$22815
UTG+1: T$21936
MP1: T$33656
MP2: T$19553

Players post T$75.00 ante
SB posts Small Blind T$300.00
BB posts Big Blind T$600.00

Pre-flop: J
club.gif
J
diamond.gif
(T$1500)
HERO raises to T$1520
UTG+1 folds
MP1 folds
MP2 folds
CO raises to T$4840
Button folds
SB folds
BB folds
HERO calls T$3320

Flop: 2
heart.gif
diamond.gif
T
spade.gif
(T$11180)
HERO checks
CO bets T$44389 and is all in

Hero :confused::confused:

Ive raised/called UTG and he knows this.... what hands is he shoving that I beat? 99? AK/AQ? . Is this more likely than QQ+?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, this just seems like a clear fold to me. If villain is competent, his range includes more QQ+ hands than it does 99 and AK
people just do not bluff shove like that anymore

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold. In fact, I am not even sure it makes sense to call the preflop reraise. Unless you are lucky enough to hit another Jack on the flop, you are always likely to find yourself facing a tough decision out of position.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're going to fold now, you definitely had to fold preflop.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ sucks... theres never a right way to play it :(

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say fold it, but I have a feeling that you have him beat. If he had a monster hand like AA/KK, he should be milking this great flop for him. I'm guessing something like AK or AQ because he is way overbetting the pot to scare you out of it. He's probably figuring that you are on a similar hand as his own that didn't hit that flop and pushing was the easiest way to get you out.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say fold it, but I have a feeling that you have him beat. If he had a monster hand like AA/KK, he should be milking this great flop for him. I'm guessing something like AK or AQ because he is way overbetting the pot to scare you out of it. He's probably figuring that you are on a similar hand as his own that didn't hit that flop and pushing was the easiest way to get you out.

I think a lot of people know this looks like AK/AQ, so will play it as such with AA, KK, QQ. I was the victim of this play just a few minutes ago. Granted, I've never played a $500 buy-in.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with that cja, and I guess that would be the higher level thinking that you get a lot more at those higher buy-ins. I myself have only played 1 $500 online tournament and I won a satellite into it. And I ended up bubbling in that.
I guess the real problem here is that you really don't have enough information on the villain's style because of how little you've played with him/her.

Z

Zybomb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're going to fold now, you definitely had to fold preflop.

My intent when flatting the reraise pre wasn't to setmine or fold. Had villain bet 6500-7k on this flop as I expected, I would call, expecting him to slow down the turn without QQ+ since half my chips were in the middle he couldn't expect folds.

When he overshoved all in, it changes things thought, as it's now a decision for all my chips. Would QQ-AA play it like this or is 99 AQ AK just as likely is my issue. I don't have a good enough read on this player other than he is the big stack at the table

The PoolBoy

The PoolBoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He's got A 10, Ak or Aq...I'd stick with the Jacks and make the call. I'd would have to get very lucky to win a sattie into a $500 tourney though. Please post actions and results

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a tough call. The buy-in's above something I'd be rolled for, and you have to think if he's shoving with AA-QQ trying to think you'll put him on AK-AQ.

I have holes in my game, and would probably call this one. Either he thinks his AK is best because the flop couldn't have improved you, or he knows his AA-QQ is good and that you can't fold because that was a good flop for you.

Or he could be playing his stack making you make a decision for all your money.

A J is coming on the turn anyway.

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On further review, you're only about T$5000 invested in this pot. Folding puts you behind average stack, but it seems you have plenty of time to pick your spot, and make a stand on your own terms.

T

tdude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what Egon said. I do not think you should have called the preflop reraise. I doubt your opponent would bluff you before the flop. It would not make much sense to steal the preflop pot. I would think you were beat from the reraise.

Z

Zybomb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what Egon said. I do not think you should have called the preflop reraise. I doubt your opponent would bluff you before the flop. It would not make much sense to steal the preflop pot. I would think you were beat from the reraise.

So you think preflop reraises are exclusively QQ+?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was moved to this table 2-3 orbits ago. This is the first reraise pre I have seen out of villain
20 TO 25 hands in and the first raise he makes is a 3 bet of an UTG raise. It is a shitty spot to be calling in because, yes his range will have more than just QQ+ but it is still the majority of it.

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian could easily reraise with AK since he has him 2-1 in chips and he may be willing to gamble, if you shove pre and he calls and loses he is still above average stack. I probably call the all in putting him on AK.

trewtrew

trewtrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO i think its a fold, but i would not have called pre flop - we're out of position, probably going to be facing a bet no matter what flops - lots of flops contain overcards - a flop with noovercards puts you in the position you are in. If you think he has you beat preflop then fold, this is not a good spot to try and hit a set.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian using his stack at this stage to bully. I would have reshoved PF.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian using his stack at this stage to bully. I would have reshoved PF.

Not every big stack is going to play that way. You forget this is the first time he has raised. That indicates that he is not trying to be a bully at the table.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Or it could be that he was waiting for the right spot for this.

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold it and live to play another hand although your stack took a big hit.

P

Pokerdude420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think you would need to fold here...villain could have ace-10 or jacks or better..i would def fold

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think you would need to fold here...villain could have ace-10 or jacks or better..i would def fold

Then you would fold if he had A 10???? where do you play? I want to play against you if your folding JJ if you think opponent has A 10

T

TiltFish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My intent when flatting the reraise pre wasn't to setmine or fold. Had villain bet 6500-7k on this flop as I expected, I would call, expecting him to slow down the turn without QQ+ since half my chips were in the middle he couldn't expect folds.

When he overshoved all in, it changes things thought, as it's now a decision for all my chips. Would QQ-AA play it like this or is 99 AQ AK just as likely is my issue. I don't have a good enough read on this player other than he is the big stack at the table

I really hate the check post flop. You don't really have any options other than push/fold here. You have 17k left and any bet/call post flop is going to commit you to the pot. If your opponent had raised 7k on the flop like you wanted there would be 25k in the pot on the turn. Now you only have 10k left and both of you are pot committed anyways.

Pre-flop, calling isn't a horrible play, but your opponent is in positon and could be pushing all-in here with a lot of hands when you check to him. So if you're not willing to push it in on that type of flop, just fold pre-flop and wait for a better spot.