K

Kramer3117

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$500 NL HE Bounty: AK facing all-in re-raise

I have Villain on flush draw.

full tilt poker Friday Night Fight No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t25/t50 Blinds - 6 players - View hand 749201
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

CO: t4165 M = 55.53
BTN: t3140 M = 41.87
Hero (SB): t5075 M = 67.67
BB: t3000 M = 40
UTG: t5545 M = 73.93
MP: t3377 M = 45.03

Pre Flop: (t75) Hero is SB with K A
1 fold, MP raises to t150, 1 fold, BTN calls t150, Hero calls t125, 1 fold

Flop: (t500) 2 6 A (3 players)
Hero checks, MP checks, BTN bets t500, Hero raises to t1300, MP raises to t3227 all in, BTN folds, Hero ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
(removed results and edited thread title pending discussion)

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, welcome to Cardschat! A couple of things:

1. This hand history looks a little different than the ones I have-- do you have the Full Tilt Client set up to save hand histories to your hard drive? If not, you can go to Options-> Hand History... and select a folder to have your files saved to. After the tournament, you can go to that folder, then copy and paste the hand to a converter like the one here.

2. It's good that you're trying to evaluate a player's holdings, but imo the logic of "I put him on a flush draw" is a little flawed. Rather, we should start with a wider range, and narrow that range down based on his post-flop actions. For example, the villain here opened UTG+1. If he's a tight-aggressive player, he's probably opening pretty tight, let's say 99+, AQ+. If our read is different, we might figure him for a different range, like if he were more fishy and lacked skills such as positional awareness, good bet sizing, etc., we instead might start with a range of 22+, ATs+, AJo+, KJs+, KQo, QJs.

After his open, he gets two callers, one from the button and one from the Hero is the SB. The fact that we called with AK is important here, too-- many players would expect a reraise preflop with AK, so we've sort of under-represented our hand here. But I digress. The flop comes A high and two-toned, and we check to the raiser, who curiously checks behind. Then the button makes a pot sized bet. I would say his range for calling pre-flop is heavily weighted towards smaller pairs, say 22-JJ, some different connectors, like JTo, QTs+, and maybe some suited aces. He could have QQ+, AK, but as I said before, those are more likely to be in a 3-bet range. So when he fires, depending on any reads we've made up to this point, he could be betting any of his aces for value, especially with a flush draw, other flush draws as a semi-bluff, pairs 77-JJ (or a slowplayed QQ, KK), and sets. Against that range, plus the unlikely QQ+, AK, we're better than a 3:1 favorite--

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 77.697% 77.70% 00.00% 53844 0.00 { AhKc }
Hand 1: 22.303% 22.30% 00.00% 15456 0.00 { 22+, AsKs, AsQs, AsJs, AsTs, As9s, As8s, As7s, As6s, As5s, As4s, As3s, As2s, KsQs, KsJs, KsTs, QsJs, QsTs, JsTs }

We're obviously not worried about being behind, so we can c/r this for both value from smaller aces and flush draws. Once we do, and then the original villain reraises, we have to reconsider where we're at again. His range is much stronger than the other villain's range, let's say AJ+, 22, 66, AA, all of which want to charge draws to play. There may be a few flush draws of his own in there, too, like KsQs or something. We're ahead of that range, too:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 57.993% 47.82% 10.17% 14203 3021.00 { AhKc }
Hand 1: 42.007% 31.84% 10.17% 9455 3021.00 { AA, 66, 22, AJs+, KsQs, AJo+ }

I know this really wasn't the point of your post, and I probably went way too far lol, but I just wanted to highlight why we can't just name something we beat as our opponent's range, because that's not hand reading. You really have to consider all the possibilities, weigh your hand against all the different possibilities, look at the pot odds and what decisions you'll have to make on later streets (if any), then make your decision.

3. I'm never getting away from this after I but 1/3 of my stack in the pot. Obviously, you got your money in good, and you can never really be upset about that.

This post ended up being a lot longer than I planned lol. Hope it was helpful!

Z

Zybomb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reraise pre.

As played it's kinda bleh. His range is pretty much 2 pair+ and flush draws (i guess with occassional strangely played AK mixed in). I'd weigh it heavier to 2 pair + since he's shoving vs a bet and a raise, but then again he raised pre (A2 A6 are less likely as is to some extent 22 and 66 [and AA given our hand]) and checked 2nd last to act so that kinda makes me lean more toward the FD.

Had he been a caller pre who then check shoved after a bet/raise I think it's a very easy muck, but because of the action pre and post it looks a little weird and I probably call here.

S

salex77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think that you cannot put the villian imo the flush draw ! You have to consider the whole range of hands of possibilities and then take it street by street and consider the odds to make the call.

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you had 3 bet it preflop, you may have thinned the field to perhaps 1 caller. Considering the situation played out as it did, MP 3 bet shoving is a strong indication of the hand he's holding. He may very well have flopped a set or worse Hit the Ace high flush Draw. I'm going out on a limb here and going with option 2. Now assuming he's got the Ace high draw nuts, rethink you options before snap shoving with Top Pair Top Kicker. He is the drawing favorite though behind in the hand. Many players make this mistake quite often. The mentality of Making him Pay to see More/Hit. I know the level of difficulty mucking your hand is painful, but quite honestly it's the Correct play.