• Thread starter floppymcflopperson
  • Start date
F

floppymcflopperson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another hand that I played today in a $50 tourney. Blinds 50/100, Im utg+1 and min raise to 200 with KJs on 46bb, stack sizes vary from 2500-4500, HJ calls on 27bb and BB calls with 33bb. Flop is 7h 10c Qh. I fell in love with this flop like it was meant to be lol..but I am aware of the lure of the trouble this can cause too. He's calling my early position min with broadway type stuff so a Q is highly likely, as well like sketchy drawy type hands (j9s, Ax h, KQs os KJs os, QJ, J10) I would expect AQ, AK, JJ-AA to 3bet me pf so I didnt see those hands being too likely. But even so, I had massive equity. I just wasnt clear on my fold equity. BB checks the flop and I bet 300 to start bloating the pot. I get reraised by HJ to 785 and BB folds. I have about 37% chance of hitting my 17 outer, so this was an easy call 485 to win 2200 a little less than 5:1. I dont think he would fold top pair and shoving at this point would have been preemptive. Turn comes and its the Js. theres about 2200 out there and I have him covered 2x ( I have 36 bb and he had 17bb). This is where I am not sure if I made the right move but with what equity I had left with my open ended str8 and flush draw and possibly 2 more jacks, thats 19 outs...but ill just keep it at 17 in case.. I shoved...he called and showed Q10s the river came 5s. Looking back, my fold equity in that spot was prob way lower than I thought. The J on the turn could have made two pair, trips...idk. I feel like checking would be really weak in that spot with a ton of equity that I could use to fold him off a queen or Ax heart draw. If I lead out a blocker bet, he'd prob raise all in to protect his 2pr from any draw and I'd be pot committed so maybe it was inevitable. I'm tired of min/mid or no cashing and Ive noticed I dont play aggressive enough when it counts and its just not profitable to play that way. Lately its just been a grind trying to build up that stack to gain leverage and mobility. Any thoughts on this hand would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
F

floppymcflopperson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should have just checked the flop to pot control...or just shouldnt have raised from ep with KJs. I could have been getting into some bad reverse implied odds from the get go. Prob could have check raised the flop, threw out a blocker on the turn to save some chips. idk, this hand is bothering me

27DaNutz

27DaNutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me you should have never have even seen the flop with KJ considering you was UTG+1 .. even with your stack raising from that position with KJ suited or not is a pretty fishy/donk move

F

floppymcflopperson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know, right? Im taking some time off to review some of my hand history and reevaluate the mistakes I've been making. Idk, haven't been sleeping good and been on tilt so its been screwing up my game

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dude can you space out some paragraphs lol, i can barely read this massive wall of text

F

floppymcflopperson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My bad wizzim lol. This was a clear fold from the gate...I obviously got myself way too involved with a speculative hand in ep...in the future I'll space it out a bit

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you're going to shove with your draw, you want to shove on the flop when you've still got 17 outs twice and are a statistical favorite against all 1 pair hands. Monster draws lose a lot of their value on the turn.

So...you have a decision to make here and it starts as soon as the flop arrives. Do you want to play your big draw fast and aggressive, or do you want to minimize your risk and wait until you have a strong hand to play a big pot? neither is necessarily "correct", both can be done and done well with your stack size....but either approach requires a plan.

For me, I would not lead out on the flop with either strategy. I would probably check, then when the HJ bets I would make my decision to either flat with a strong draw and good pot odds, or I would raise the flop. If I'm gonna continue on a raised flop; I'd rather be the one raising.

If I did lead the flop and the HJ raised me, I would probably go ahead and jam.

Once you pair your jack on the turn, jamming into the HJ doesn't make any sense. If he bluff raised you on the flop, then all your shove accomplishes is getting the worst hand to fold without giving him a chance to bluff again or make a mistake. And if his raise on the flop WASN'T a bluff, then it usually means 2 pair or a set and you're crushed and he's unlikely to fold.

So....in a nutshell. Either get it in on the flop, or chase your draw as cheaply as possible and go for value once you make your hand.

Full Flush Poker