€50 NL HE STT: Live Game. Too aggressive?

D

DrGreenthumb420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
STT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Turbo
Currency
Hi,
busted with a hand today in a live STT with some friends and i keep wondering if i played it right or fked up.
7/8 players left, 15bb in the BB.
Everyone folded, BTN (on the loose side) limps, SB completes. I shove with 22 expecting folds due to table image, BTN calls with KQo and rolls it.
Should i have waited for a better hand there? Blinds began to hurt and i just wanted to secure the blinds. Calling with 22 seemed off.
Thx for your opinions!

B

Bird173

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Not sure if it’s a losing play long run but I wouldn’t jam here if they were going to let me try and hit a set for free

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jamming here is completely fine and is the best move against a wide opponent on the button and the SB although I would like to know their stack sizes as well as I would feel better jamming 15 BBs into 30-40 BBs stacks than >20 BB stack or deep stacks. I personally hate 22 and would feel better with even 55 or 66 since we can face some under cards but the best move in the long run is a jam. Sounds like SB folded and you got a fav hand all in with less than a 20 BB stack (our goal pre flop) and it just didnt work out.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems fine to me, although it would also be reasonable to go for a free setmine with a hand like 22, when it limped to you. As a subtle detail the payout structure also matter. If it was "winner takes all", then it leans towards a "go strong or go home" approach. Whereas if 2-3 places paid, then ICM comes into play, and you should avoid risk a little bit. In that case maybe its better to take the free flop, especially if the 3 players involved were among the largest stacks. Like if the players, who folded, were 10BB deep on average.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The hand you played is a low pair and you are waiting for another 2 for a three of a kind, which unfortunately didn't come and you didn't also win with just a couple. I think that you could wait for higher cards even if they weren't a pair, because your dynamic would be much better!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,
busted with a hand today in a live STT with some friends and i keep wondering if i played it right or fked up.
Everyone folded, BTN (on the loose side) limps, SB completes. I shove with 22 expecting folds due to table image, BTN calls with KQo and rolls it.
Should i have waited for a better hand there? Blinds began to hurt and i just wanted to secure the blinds. Calling with 22 seemed off.
Thx for your opinions!
It is a flip - are you all equal in skill or are they better than you then flip- if you have a skill advantage then lean too flatting-
adjust based of course on all the data you left out about stack sizes and blind increases and payouts and fun game or money game with friends

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was also a good play of the hand.
But if check is chosen, there is a chance to win a bigger pot on the flop by catching the set.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not agree on the shove.

Limping in this spot from BTN can be not that weak depending on the stack sizes. I would say 44+ to shove to be able to handle some A2 A3 overcalls.
Otherwise check and see the flop free. 15bbs are good for getting a better chance. :)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Another thing to consider is what were the stack sizes for the other players? Especially BTN and SB? If they are monster stacks, then your 15BB is peanuts and they probably don't mind trying to help double you up. Either way, 22 is going to be a coin flip at best the way you played it. If you want to instead play some poker rather than tossing coins, then there is nothing wrong with seeing the flop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another thing to consider is what were the stack sizes for the other players? Especially BTN and SB? If they are monster stacks, then your 15BB is peanuts and they probably don't mind trying to help double you up. Either way, 22 is going to be a coin flip at best the way you played it. If you want to instead play some poker rather than tossing coins, then there is nothing wrong with seeing the flop.
All valid points. The spot is pretty marginal, and I would much rather jam a hand like 55 or 66 than 22. The reason is, that in a home game there is a decent chance, people might limp and then call off wider, than they are supposed to. And if someone calls us incorrectly with a hand like 44 or A5, then we are much more happy about the situation, if we have 55 or 66 rather than 22.

duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi,
Thx for your opinions!
Hi there!

With 15bb left you have fold equity (considering the villans in the hand doesn't have monster stacks) so if I were on that situation I would consider two choices:

- Raise 4,5/5,5bb (If the board comes dry and nothing scary like high cards (Jacks or higher) I would shove all in if checked to me.
or
- Shove (like you did)

I don't think it was a bad play considering you had a tell that the button was loose and you were playing tight. Pocket's twos on the other hand are very questionable, since your a big underdog to a lot of combos the villan could hold, even low suited connectors have decent equity agains't pocket deuces.
So what I have to offer is this:

- You didn't play poorly.
but
- With ICM in play you have to be extremously carefull and select your hands and spots very wisely, sometimes it's better to see a cheap flop, if you feel it doesn't connect with your opponents ranges you make a move.

Hope a bring something positive to you.

GL in next tourneys!

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games