$5 NLHE: What would u do

D

DSM121

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$5 NL HE: What would u do

I have 2 examples that i would like to get an opinion on.

1) Were down to 12 playes and 5 get paid. I'm on the BB(200) with 98o 4885 in chips and sitting in 2nd overall. Under the gun goes all in and it folds around to me. There is now 1050 in the pot and a call of 505 chips to me. If i call i remain in 2nd. This call is questionable but its less than 20% of my stack and i would be still sitting in 2nd spot.I Made the call and lost but the winner said it was a BS call.

2) Same table 30 hands later and same player with 10 players left in turny. For me this was a no brainer but I could be wrong. I'm on the BB(400)with 96s and Under the gun goes all in.There is now 1500 in the pot and 370 for me to call. I called and once again i lost the race but the guy was pissed that i made the call.

Your opinions would be appreciated

Thanks

razin-n-blazin

razin-n-blazin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the first example, I guess you are getting close the right odds to call, but I would opt to donate the 200 and move on to my button. You can't beat anywhere near even half the possible starting hands. Maybe he's shoving trying to steal, but with the BB left to act I'm not anxious to put more money in this pot with 98 off.

Second example is a no-brainer like you say. Less than one more bet to try to win this pot and hopefully take this player out. You almost have no choice.

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The guy is a moron. Example one it is completely fine to call as he is not much better than a 66% favourite with his range, he is shoving wide with his M which I guess was around 5 and 98 with your chip stack is absolutely fine.

Lets do a quick bit of stove, lets say he was pushing with only 18% of his range which is:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 34.446% 34.00% 00.44% 130422608 1695743.50 { 9d8h }
Hand 1: 65.554% 65.11% 00.44% 249742001 1695743.50 { 22+, A7s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, A8o+, KJo+, QJo }

You can see we are 34% against this range which therefore makes the 98o a correct call. I believe he could be pushing a bit wider with more aces. Its close but right and your chipstack is the deciding factor for me. I love how he moans even though you doubled him up, haha. Remember what his cards were?

Number two is don't look at your cards and insta-call no brainer like you said. Absolute idiocy from him moaning at that when he doubled up again!

Well done of being aware of the situation and making both calls as it is a mistake I see so often when people just don't call in these situations not realising how valuable it is to knock a player out. :)

D

DSM121

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On the 1st call my deciding factor was my chip stack.

Thanks, and the beauty of it all is I took down the tournement.

M

mecoble

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
both are fine calls but one other thing u always need to consider in those situations other than pot odds is stack size. in the first id say ur getting close to fold because the call is 10% of ur stack, u make a couple of those calls and ull bleed ur chips.