$5 NLHE STT: Value extraction with set (need help)

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing I think i majorly suck at in STT's is extracting value with sets.
Here is a typical example. There is no way he can put me on a set. The ace on the turn hits my range a lot harder.

How worried should I be about the flush draw?
That's why I bet so high to try and give him a bad price to draw.
Plus I didn't know what kinda range i'm putting him on.

Poker Stars - $5.00+0.50 Tournament (#376444185) - Blinds: 25/50 No Limit Hold'em (6 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: t1,390
BB: t3,585
UTG: t1,315
MP: t4,168
CO: t1,415
BTN: t1,627

Pre-flop: (t75) is BTN and dealt :jd4: :js4:
3 folds, BTN raises to t150, SB folds, BB calls t100

Flop: (t325) :2h4: :jh4: :9c4: (2 players)
BB checks, BTN bets t150, BB calls t150

Turn: (t625) :2h4: :jh4: :9c4: :ad4: (2 players)
BB checks, BTN bets t450, BB folds, BTN returned t450

Thanks

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're playing against a weak range so don't expect much. You're repping the Ace hard and he can't beat an ace, thus folds.

tusabes

tusabes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really have any critizicm of the way you played the hand. I don't worry about draws b/c they mostly don't get there.

Your bet should be just big enough to give your opponent improper odds to call.

laidlow

laidlow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I probably would've bet a little bit lighter on the turn but you were right to chase the flush draw out, at this level there's far too many chasers!

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
*shrugs*

Personally I wouldn't be too worried about it. There really aren't many ways that villain could have hit that flop. I guess we can check the turn behind and hope he leads at the river but the reality is we're rarely going to get paid for this hand and there's just not that much value to be extracted.

Representing the ace is a bad thing to do if you want to get paid BTW. We need to be thinking about what villain has and what he can call with. Absolutely it's plausible an ace hits our range. But medium pairs, draws and other weak holdings make up the majority of the villain's range at this stage and since none of those beat an ace or our set, representing that ace just makes makes it even less likely for us to get called.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the draws either. A flush draw only has seven outs (15.2%) on the turn because Ah and 9h make us a full house so first off you don't actually need to bet that much to give them the wrong price. My math is a bit rusty but even if you bet something like t200 it'll still be a -chipEV call for them. Plus villain won't have made a flush every time a heart comes so we can call if they lead at a heart on the river, raise if they lead a non-heart river (or an Ah/9h river obv) and bet the river if they check to us.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
*shrugs*

Personally I wouldn't be too worried about it. There really aren't many ways that villain could have hit that flop. I guess we can check the turn behind and hope he leads at the river but the reality is we're rarely going to get paid for this hand and there's just not that much value to be extracted.

Representing the ace is a bad thing to do if you want to get paid BTW. We need to be thinking about what villain has and what he can call with. Absolutely it's plausible an ace hits our range. But medium pairs, draws and other weak holdings make up the majority of the villain's range at this stage and since none of those beat an ace or our set, representing that ace just makes makes it even less likely for us to get called.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the draws either. A flush draw only has seven outs (15.2%) on the turn because Ah and 9h make us a full house so first off you don't actually need to bet that much to give them the wrong price. My math is a bit rusty but even if you bet something like t200 it'll still be a -chipEV call for them. Plus villain won't have made a flush every time a heart comes so we can call if they lead at a heart on the river, raise if they lead a non-heart river (or an Ah/9h river obv) and bet the river if they check to us.

Yeah maybe the example I used was a bit crappy, i pretty much got all the value I could. I do pinpoint hands in SNG's though as to when I think I played them bad, and getting not much value from sets crops up time after time.
About the ace on the turn... I meant to say the A hits our range a lot harder so maybe betting was definitely going to drive him out, and so how about checking back to show I was scared of it (but giving him a free card/give him a chance to bluff on the river).

Cheers for the all the constructive critisism, in heinsight I would have played the hand pretty similarly, but bet slightly less on the flop and thus on the turn too (in conjunction with this thread).