$5 NLHE STT: Possible worst played hand in history of poker?

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Firstly, I don't think the implied odds were there to call. But at the time 50 more chips is pretty cheap to see a flop. So is this a fold pre? (In heinsight I think it is)
On the flop I lead straight out for 1/3 pot, which is pretty horrible on a draw free board where I could check raise or bet the turn if its checked back. I min bet t100. I was then raised to t300. I was starting to sniff a set and thought 6's (not so much 10's) were definitely in villians range of limping UTG (he hasn't shown himself to be an above average player).
Then I called which is horrible. Either I ship it, and he probably has a set (I just had that feeling ;) ), or i fold. I don't call a bet with no plan of what to do on the turn, where I have to fold to a c-bet anyway. So basically I wasted another 200 chips.

On the turn he bet 300, which is what I would bet with a set of 6's, and so I layed it down.

Please, pleeeeease tell me how I could have played each street better, because at the time I was severly confused and disgusted at folding.

Cheers

Poker Stars - $5.00+0.50 Tournament (#369927658) - Blinds: 50/100 No Limit Hold'em (7 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: t1,715
BB: t1,762
UTG: t1,470
MP: t1,876
MP+1: t1,735
CO: t3,810
BTN: t1,132

Pre-flop: (t150) is SB and dealt :2h4: :2s4:
UTG calls t100, 4 folds, SB calls t50, BB checks

Flop: (t300) :10h4: :2c4: :6h4: (3 players)
SB bets t100, BB folds, UTG raises t300, SB calls t200

Turn: (t900) :10h4: :2c4: :6h4: :ks4: (2 players)
SB checks, UTG bets t300, SB folds, UTG returned t300

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
more raising, less folding everywhere

(that's serious advice, bet on the flop is too small, and folding the turn is truly criminal)

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding that turn is burning money.

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im getting the money in here. I would have re-raised on the flop but once you call you cannot just fold the turn ,the K landing changes nothing and as has already been said this is burning money.

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the turn he bet 300, which is what I would bet with a set of 6's, and so I layed it down.

Never anticipate players are doing what you would do. That is one of the biggest leaks you can make as a poker player.

For all you know, that guy could have limped K-rag suited, flopped a flush draw and bet again when he paired the K...and that's just one example out of many where you are miles ahead.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[jentilly]I thought you had Pocket Kings[/jentilly]

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
reraise all-in after the flop.

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The call preflop is fine. your getting in for cheap and with a pair, if you spike a set you can get pair off in a big way. As has been said, I would have bet more on the flop. There isnt much in there so prolly 200, 2/3 the pot. A reraise on the flop is a good idea because you want him to pay for his flush draw. There are many hands besides 66 he would play this way. Any sort of 10 or flush draw, he may have even been trying to get tricky with an over pair.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

He bet 1/3 pot after you checked. If you're going to fold everything but top set then he can profitably bet 1/3 pot with two napkins - that's how exploitably terrible your play is here.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ship the nickels on the turn you must.

If you're up against another set so be it but there are loads of worse hands that pay you off.

I don't mind betting the flop, mostly because it's not a board that's hit a lot of hands and we can't rely on our opponents to do the betting for us. That said we want to charge our opponents to draw and it's possible you'll get some who are willing to pay the wrong price. We have to bet it bigger though, both for value and to give villains the wrong price. Something more around the 200 ballpark would be better IMO.

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is pretty bad.

Calling preflop is standard here, but I'd rather check the flop to check raise rather than bet out on a fairly dry board like that.

And I don't know how anyone can consider folding there. Its just a question what ways best to get your opponents chips in.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[jentilly]I thought you had Pocket Kings[/jentilly]

ha appreciate that. I hate Tilly, please don't compare me to her :p

Thanks for the input. Yeah I suppose his range could have been absolutely anything but live and learn I suppose, next time it's getting shipped. Like Harrington says, if you get set over set, it's probably not your tournament to win.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Laying down monsters is totally overrated. We have all seen them on tv but the fact is that folding a hand as strong as this on that board because of a "gut feeling" is just terrible because for every time that you actually are behind when you fold there are dozens of other times you've folded the best hand.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands