$5 NLHE MTT: ITM w/TT: Worth the risk vs SS UTG shove?

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$5 3-table SNG. Pays top 5: $50, $36, $24, $14, $11.

UTG = Solid, semi-nit.
Other 3 = Risky callers, lucky to be ITM. Even looser with their bigger stacks, but not maniacs.

My table image, imo = Former FT chip leader. Solid overall, I think. Made some risky hero calls w/big stack. Lost some to recent suckouts.

In my position, is it worth the risk to try my TT vs the SS UTG? Call, shove, or fold?

poker stars No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t200.00/t400.00 Blinds - 5 players - DeucesCracked Hand History Converter

UTG: t3110.00 7.78 BBs
CO: t8375.00 20.94 BBs
Hero: t7500.00 18.75 BBs
SB: t12840.00 32.10 BBs
BB: t8675.00 21.69 BBs

Pre Flop: (t600) Hero is BTN with T T
UTG raises to t3085, 1 fold, Hero ..??, .......

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably closer to a fold here. Im not sure on the math but the increase when you do win is probably not enough to justify the times you lose the hand. And since the other 3 players with bigger stacks are worse and will probably donate some, you can pass on this opportunity.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I could fold 5 handed with TT to a SS tbh.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2+ days, 22 views, 2 replies.
I love Cardschat, but I guess I gotta go elsewhere with my HH's.

I do wanna say thanks to the 2 guys who did give a rip. Cheers.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

Bubble Punter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I could go both ways here. You call and win, you're 25 or so BB's and second in chips, and in a position to tid. Feelin lucky? You daid the UTG was nitty, so they might be shoving tight, but with their low stack they could be exploiing their image and be shoving a wider range where you'll be flipping but ahead of most of it.

Downside is if you call and lose the hand you will now be the SS. So it depends on how comfortable you are with short stack play.

Overall I see JohnBoy's point about not really folding 1010 while 5 handed. Nrmally I wouldn't wither unless I had a strong indication that one of the big stacks behind me would also be entering the pot behind.

Taking all this into account, I would re-shove here. You have a power hand, enough of a stack to keep the big stacks out unless they are morons or holding major heat and are likely ahead of the SS's range, if not flipping with the lead.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2+ days, 22 views, 2 replies.
I love Cardschat, but I guess I gotta go elsewhere with my HH's.

I do wanna say thanks to the 2 guys who did give a rip. Cheers.

To be fair, how many HA threads have you replied to in the past month?

As for the hand, I want to call because you're pretty ahead of his range imo, but I don't know how different your equity will be if you win here, you go from ~19bb's to ~26bb's, with the two larger stacks to your left that's not gonna make a huge difference.

Then again, you're not risking a ton, you'll have like ~11bb's left if you lose, so it's close.

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gotta push here.

Doesn't really matter that he's a nit seeing as when you're 5 handed all bets are off and it's time to switch gears especially when you factor in blinds. I'm sure an A10 would like like AA to this guy right about then. To top it off dude's short stacked and his range has to widen if he want's to win it as you should be trying to do. Forget placing.

So, to recap you were sitting 5 handed with a pair of 10's against a short stacked nit as the blinds are going up . He'd probably play with 22 as that's what blinds force short stacked nits to do late in tourney's.

Unless you know you'll be dealt Ace's in a couple of hands I just can't see not shoving here.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is that some kind of new prerequisite? Nah, not fair at all.

uh, you give some, you get some back.

I don't see how you can complain about lack of replies when you don't do so yourself.

I personally didn't reply simply because I haven't played tourneys in years and probably wouldn't say anything that useful.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
uh, you give some, you get some back.

I don't see how you can complain about lack of replies when you don't do so yourself.

I personally didn't reply simply because I haven't played tourneys in years and probably wouldn't say anything that useful.
How about for someone who still doesn't feel comfortable enough with their own game to be giving other people advice? I've been at this a long time and I still don't feel like a winner. But I'm still trying. So I posted a HH to get some advice on improvement.

If I'm not a winner yet, how can anyone put much stock into my opinion of their HH's?

Anyway. Thanks for all the additional replies, folks. But it looks like everyone did what I did and didn't think of the loose SB & BB players with bigger stacks than mine.

The loose BB with a larger stack called and hit his set. Sure, he only had 66, but he was making the same all-in calls earlier with KQo, etc. Mistake or correct to ignore the loose blinds players?

I'm thinking I shoulda only called the UTG shove for half my stack and hope the blinds don't raise me. Then I coulda folded the flop when the Ace hit and still had 3K left. Is that being results-oriented?

Poker Stars No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t200.00/t400.00 Blinds - 5 players - View hand 1116956
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BTN): t7500.00 18.75 BBs

Pre Flop: (t600) Hero is BTN with T
spade.png
T
club.png

UTG raises to t3085, 1 fold, Hero raises to t7475, 1 fold, BB calls t7075

Flop: (t18235) A
club.png
K
heart.png
spade.png
(3 players)

Turn: (t18235) J
heart.png
(3 players)

River: (t18235) 5
spade.png
(3 players)

UTG had Ah Jc.
BB had 66 and won it all w/666.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

Bubble Punter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
How about for someone who still doesn't feel comfortable enough with their own game to be giving other people advice? I've been at this a long time and I still don't feel like a winner. But I'm still trying. So I posted a HH to get some advice on improvement.

If I'm not a winner yet, how can anyone put much stock into my opinion of their HH's?

Anyway. Thanks for all the additional replies, folks. But it looks like everyone did what I did and didn't think of the loose SB & BB players with bigger stacks than mine.

The loose BB with a larger stack called and hit his set. Sure, he only had 66, but he was making the same all-in calls earlier with KQo, etc. Mistake or correct to ignore the loose blinds players?

I'm thinking I shoulda only called the UTG shove for half my stack and hope the blinds don't raise me. Then I coulda folded the flop when the Ace hit and still had 3K left. Is that being results-oriented?

Poker Stars No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t200.00/t400.00 Blinds - 5 players - View hand 1116956
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BTN): t7500.00 18.75 BBs

Pre Flop: (t600) Hero is BTN with T
spade.png
T
club.png

UTG raises to t3085, 1 fold, Hero raises to t7475, 1 fold, BB calls t7075

Flop: (t18235) A
club.png
K
heart.png
spade.png
(3 players)

Turn: (t18235) J
heart.png
(3 players)

River: (t18235) 5
spade.png
(3 players)

UTG had Ah Jc.
BB had 66 and won it all w/666.

It is. You got your opponent to make a bad call, drawing to two (up front)outs. You got unlucky.

As for calling half your stack and then folding if any overcards came, that is a bad mentality to have. Might as well have folded preflop if you think that way.

You did right to re-shove. The BB made a very bad call, and just sucked out. It happens. No need to go second guessing yourself over this play.

And yes, I'm sure we did take the loose BB into consideration when making our suggestions. At least I did. If he calls loose you are in a great spot to triple up with a hand that is more than likely the best and take a great chiplead. If you lose, you still jump up the pay ladder one spot.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just lol at the absolutely terrible play by BB.

Reshove and fist pump a little. He may be tight but his range is likely to be wider because he's UTG with the blinds about to come and destroy his little fold equity.

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To all the comments re: UTG is tight. If the player is solid/nitty then it's likely the player has some better-than-amateur understanding of the game. At the very least there would be an understanding of tighter on the bubble/looser ITM. Basically, you can't compare nitty bubble play to ITM play for a guy like this and it looks like the bubble for this tourney had recently broken. So this is an easy, easy re-shove. You grin and cheer a bit when BB calls you with 66 as he's just given you about ~45.8% equity to be a dominant chip leader 4-handed with a micro stack. That's a spot so abusable it makes me a little warm and fuzzy inside. If you take an aggressive approach the times you win pots like these you'll have >ICM odds of taking down 1st.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah fair point. Don't take my post as a personal attack or anything - I don't even know how much you post in the tourney forum given I never browse it. Just saying you could always just bump the topic and voila, we have posts.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You don't always have to have the right answers. If you're unsure of your opinion on a hand just say so when you're making the post but it shouldn't stop you taking part in the discussion. Commenting on other people's hands should be at least as educational as people commenting on yours.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah fair point. Don't take my post as a personal attack or anything - I don't even know how much you post in the tourney forum given I never browse it. Just saying you could always just bump the topic and voila, we have posts.

You don't always have to have the right answers. If you're unsure of your opinion on a hand just say so when you're making the post but it shouldn't stop you taking part in the discussion. Commenting on other people's hands should be at least as educational as people commenting on yours.
Will do. Thanks, men.

And thanks to the others. Looks like I did the right thing by re-shoving. Glad I asked or I may have nitted up gun shy in future situations like this.

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably closer to a fold here. Im not sure on the math but the increase when you do win is probably not enough to justify the times you lose the hand. And since the other 3 players with bigger stacks are worse and will probably donate some, you can pass on this opportunity.

+1

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A large part of why you should fold here is that one of the blinds are going to do your dirty work for you and knock UTG out with a suckout.

Remember that ITM, the equity a player gives up when he gets knocked out does not all go to the player knocking him out. Some of it is distributed to the rest of the table.

So if you have a marginal hand, and there's a chance another player is going to risk a lot/all of his stack to improve your equity, let be a gentleman, and let him do it.

Saying that though, SnGWiz suggests that TT is still a shove. Unf I can't seem to paste the analysis, but your shoving range, giving a v tight range to UTG and a v. wide range to the blinds is TT+, AK

Last edited:
Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
insta call. He's under 10bb's. If he's any good at all he'll be open shoving with any 2 cards that will stand up well to a call. Maybe any pair, any broadway, KQ etc. Being UTG narrows his range a bit, but TT is still plenty good enough to at least call.