$5 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: AQo early position. BTN 4bets. What's the play here?

M

masadad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pacific, $4.50 Buy-in (75/150 blinds, 20 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 9 Players

SB: 6,525 (43.5 bb)
BB: 17,677 (117.8 bb)
UTG+1: 2,155 (14.4 bb)
Hero (UTG+2): 5,003 (33.4 bb)
MP1: 8,760 (58.4 bb)
MP2: 8,043 (53.6 bb)
MP3: 15,686 (104.6 bb)
CO: 12,718 (84.8 bb)
BTN: 5,570 (37.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q:spade: A:heart:
UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to 427, MP1 raises to 704, 3 folds, BTN raises to 1,824, 3 folds, MP1 calls 1,120

Flop: (4,480) 2:club: T:club: 9:heart: (2 players)
MP1 bets 4,480, BTN calls 3,726 and is all-in

Turn: (11,932) A:diamond: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
River: (11,932) 7:spade: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: 11,932 pot
Final Board: 2:club: T:club: 9:heart: A:diamond: 7:spade:
MP1 showed Q:diamond: Q:heart: and won 11,932 (6,362 net)
BTN showed J:spade: J:club: and lost (-5,570 net)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should've just went all in preflop because you knew the Ad was coming on the turn, right?

Stop being result oriented. If you made a good fold preflop, don't worry what about what shows up on the board.

Preflop, your raise with AQo is fine. MP1 min 3bets and theres a good chance we're ahead of them or maybe in a race situation. Once BTN 4bets, considering the action before them, we're probably way behind at this point. We can't just flat the BTNs 4bet because that commits us to the pot, so our option is to fold or shove. Given the effective stacks, BTN is never folding to our shove and there is a good chance that MP1 comes along for the ride as well. And given the fact that we're facing a 3bet and 4bet, theres a good chance we're way behind at least 1, if not both players. We have no fold equity with AQ here and it's very unlikely we're ahead both players at this point. Maybe MP1, but def. not BTN, unless they're very loose-aggressive.

So, you best option was to fold. Good play. You hit it and would've won, but look at it this way, if your A was your only clean out [assuming you're not up against AK], you're only hitting it on the turn or river 12% of the time, or 6% for each street. You're missing the turn or river 88% of the time. Again, don't be so result oriented just because you made the correct play and you would've won.

M

masadad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i folded preflop based on what i have learned from posting hands here. so, quite happy with the fold.

i was wondering if calling or shoving pre was a better option vs these opponents in particular. given that they were playing pretty wide.

50 hands on MP1 38/10/1.5/4.5
only 8 hands on BTN 25/25/2/0

Last edited:
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i did fold preflop.

i was wondering if calling or shoving pre was a better option vs these opponents. they were playing pretty wide.
I know you folded preflop. Re-read my post.

Well, you never mentioned how your opponent's played in your OP, but my answer still stands and I think you made a good fold preflop. Like I said in my reply, flatting is almost never the option here for 35% of our stack. Some may disagree with me, but that's just too spewy to call off ~12 BBs when we have a 33BB stack and we're check/folding most flops. Not to mention, we're playing OOP as well.

Shoving is an option, but given the 3bet and 4bet before us, it's very unlikely that we're ahead. We can possibly shove and get MP1 to fold if they didn't have QQ in that spot, but we're definitely getting called the BTN who almost certainly has us beat there 100% of the time. Given the effect stacks, we have no fold equity against the BTN who is getting 2:1 to call [if MP1 folds to your shove]. And considering that BTN 4bet preflop, it's very likely we're up against a very strong hand or maybe flipping against JJ at best, which BTN is getting great odds.

So, I don't like calling and I don't like shoving since we're only in a situation where we're flipping or way behind, but we're almost never ahead here unless button is the type of player to 4bet a hand like A10-AJ, KJ+

Fold was the best option, IMO.

...Then again, my thinking could be way off on this one. Maybe you should wait for wizzim or missjacki for a much better analysis.

Last edited:
ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i were you i would fold cuz i dnt like cards like AQ i play that but only to see the flop but with that many raises i would fold

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
really simple fold preflop, well played.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ always fold to 4bet preflop if utg.