$5.50 NLHE STT: What would you do? Flopped straight with a BB special, all heart board.

john003

john003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$5.50 NL HE STT: What would you do? Flopped straight with a BB special, all heart board.

Good evening.

First, let me apologize that this particular hand was from a few days ago. Currently sorting through tournament hand history to get exact numbers but this is a fairly accurate summary.

First few hands of a 1 table SnG, so starting stacks are effective. 1st blind level, (10/20). No info on any players yet.

Hero is BB with 5c8s

UTG + 1 limped, followed by 3 more flat calls. SB completes, I check, happy to see a free flop.

Pot: 120
Flop: 4h6h7h

My question is, would you even throw a tester bet out there? I was asking another friend of mine about this and it got me wondering what the folk here would do in it.

Basically, SB checked to me and I just wanted to toss a tester bet out there. Nothing major, let's just try to get some info.
I bet 65 at it.

UTG + 1 flat calls, followed by another call, then a shove all in.

Obviously we fold here, but the question is, would any of you have bet out at all? If so, how much? I tossed 65 at it to see where I stood and in my opinion, got all the info I needed for very few chips.
However; would the proper move just to have been check/fold? It's a low buy in SnG, and with 6 to a flop, we know there's some folks playing junk "cause it was sooted".

No, the all in wasn't called, so I'll never know. So the question is;

In this scenario do we lead out with a bet? Just happily check/fold and not even invest anymore chips knowing there's better spots to get our money in?

Thanks in advance.
John

kingme620

kingme620

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm prolly underthinking it but I would never check fold this. I'd bet at least 80. I don't like the idea of a 'tester bet'; I would bet like I have the nuts and if I meet strong resistance consider folding. Also I may be wrong, but is this such an easy fold as it was played out? Considering also its a low buyin match...I am calling here.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also I may be wrong, but is this such an easy fold as it was played out? Considering also its a low buyin match...I am calling here.

I think it's an easy fold given the action, even at low stakes, people won't give a lot of action on a monotone board without actually having a hand. Even against a flush draw, we lose 1/3 times. Early in a SNG, I'm not getting my chips in where I am, at best, only a 2:1 favorite.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the initial bet, we're either bet/folding, check/calling, or check/folding. None of the plays are really great, lol. I guess I'm going with b/f > c/f > c/c in this spot.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like checking this spot.. by betting you force these guys into doing stupid things like shoving with the ace of hearts.. which ill put money on he had somting like that.. so i kinda like check/calling.. pot control. see what happens on the turn.. he might check down and give us a small pot.. we definately cant play for our whole stack here.. but by the river.. we may put in a small value bet, if the 4th heart doestn hit..

if we meet more resistance on the turn.. then id sigh and most probably fold.. unless the bet was super small.. oh and with so many people in.. one of them usualy has a heart here.. so by betting were usually at least getting called in one spot a high %..

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a good question. I would be tempted to just check - but not really bothered by a bet of 60-80 either. Sometimes they will all fold and you will take it down then.

But I am definitely not getting all of my chips in the pot no matter what happens.

D

djlee888

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet just under the pot at say 140. This will limit ur rag callers so the person who does call your getting better information. If they sove then u goota ask why do they shove if they have the nuts. Even if i flopped a dodgy flush say 10 high flush and you bet the 140 into the pot i would consider a reraise to keep you attracted but i wouldnt shove as i would want paying off. Therefore the flush being out was very unlikely. He probably got info off you that you were chasing the flush or had a gut shot straight draw or pair etc and he probably only had something like top pair with a gut shot flush draw or something, possibly the A hearts or maybe K. the odds are if so, then you are a massive favourite so I would call this everytime.
If you fold this hand then always think youve made a good fold and that will help confidence throughout the remainder of the tournament.
Also, one more thing..
If you decide to fold and you see the same guy shoving often or reraising like a donkey then you can pick him out and take him at another opportunity which If thats the case you didnt have to worry about the fold you made earlier.
Remember regardless of the level you are playing at always treat each one the same and play your best which is very important not only for your bankroll but mainly for you self esteem/confidence levels.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you would shove there perhaps.. but ive seen some people overshove with flushes in spots like this.. so usually its just like the ace of hearts. but these guys are probably that bad that they will shvoe top pair or weak two pair here..

john003

john003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies. I'm in agreement that I'm not getting all the money in the middle here. I'm glad more feel the same way, cause I still feel it was a good fold. :)

Thanks again!

tomh7795

tomh7795

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would check call here and if strong betting came on the turn, you can give it up. Of course fold if he pushes all in after you had checked. Lots of low limit players just gamble with anything and they try to get an early double up and if they lose they just think another game will start any second.