$5.50 NLHE STT: AJs facing 8x raise from the CO

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep value betting this all day, probably not shoving though, probably make it smaller again to give him the chance to spazz out and shove on us with some weird busted draw, and it also makes it easier for him to call with smaller pairs.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep value betting this all day, probably not shoving though, probably make it smaller again to give him the chance to spazz out and shove on us with some weird busted draw, and it also makes it easier for him to call with smaller pairs.

Ok i will end the debate and concede that v-betting this board may be appropriate (although to say it doesn't get any clearer than this is mind-blowing since I can think of half a dozen hands that I wouldn't even give thought about not betting here but whatever).

I do however ask Wizz this? You really snap off a call of a shove over our v-bet and don't feel uncomfortable at all I mean you did notice that this is like the 3rd hand of the game right?

I would also like to state that the only poker I have played since BF(before though played thousands of 5 dollar sngs) is a little live and league games so I may be a bit out of touch with how the majority of ppl play at the $5 level.

Also league games grant increasing points for each ascending place so ICM is a factor even early in the tourney so this may be affecting my judgement on this hand as well.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok i will end the debate and concede that v-betting this board may be appropriate (although to say it doesn't get any clearer than this is mind-blowing since I can think of half a dozen hands that I wouldn't even give thought about not betting here but whatever).

I do however ask Wizz this? You really snap off a call of a shove over our v-bet and don't feel uncomfortable at all I mean you did notice that this is like the 3rd hand of the game right? The pot is like 1200 on the river, our stack is around 900ish or something... so yeah, i want to win that pot! The fact that it's the third hand makes this even easier, we can pretty much assume from what we've seen that this guy is terrible, it's a $5 game, and he raised 8x... it's possible he misclicked, but i think we have to assume the more likely scenario that this guy is probably pretty bad.

I'm not saying i would have ended up here on the river with TP and a pot size shove left, and i wouldn't be thrilled about it, but that's the debate. So yeah, if i value bet here, it would usually be a shove, but i feel like his range is weighted towards weakness. So i'd make it smaller in the hopes that it won't scare him off like a shove might, and also in the hopes that he might just spazz out and shove on me, thinking i might fold. I just prefer to put an amount out there that gives me decent value, allows him to make more mistakes, and pays my value bet off on a much higher frequency than a shove might. If he has us beat, we do save money by checking, but more often i would think that we are just leaving money out there

I would also like to state that the only poker I have played since BF(before though played thousands of 5 dollar sngs) is a little live and league games so I may be a bit out of touch with how the majority of ppl play at the $5 level.
Same here :)
Also league games grant increasing points for each ascending place so ICM is a factor even early in the tourney so this may be affecting my judgement on this hand as well.ICM isn't much of an issue in league games, you have so many chips and such big blinds that you can just disregard it for most of the game if you want too. There's just a lot of time for skill and more importantly aggression to shine through in those games.

I could be wrong but they are my thoughts, hopefully see you in the next league game if my work will give me some more mornings off!

Last edited:
OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol, pretty much every street is wrong.

I've played against ridetheflop and it isn't surprising me that he can't see how crystal clear a v-bet on river is, it's not even close ffs.

8x pre = villain is a mong as well.

Might've been merge, I remember marking you as a fish somewhere after some horrendous plays on your part.

If somebody open limps and then jams 150 bb pre over a 3x raise we don't need more than one hand to mark them as fish.

^ Blue at his very best <3 lol, so epic.

50/50 between flat/fold pre.. (but imo fold pre) flat flop, flat turn if he keeps barreling, obv bet if he checks to you.. (genius I know) as played river is a pretty clear vbet shove.

small bet is ok too I guess, in game I prob just shove out of stack size habits.

C

CrossedLine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop, I couldn't fold this hand. Maybe I just suck, but thats no fold unless a shove comes.

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's been a while since I posted the hand, and a few of you have asked me what the villain had.

So here is the hand in its full glory!

Merge - $0+$0.00|<> NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 1,495.00
MP+1: 1,500.00
CO: 1,530.00
Hero (BTN): 1,485.00
SB: 1,490.00
BB: 1,500.00
UTG: 1,500.00
UTG+1: 1,500.00
UTG+2: 1,500.00

SB posts SB 5.00, BB posts BB 10.00

Pre Flop: (pot: 15.00) Hero has A J

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, CO raises to 80.00, Hero calls 80.00, fold, fold

Flop: (175.00, 2 players) 3 3 J
CO bets 90.00, Hero raises to 180.00, CO calls 90.00

Turn: (535.00, 2 players) 8
CO checks, Hero bets 356.00, CO calls 356.00

River: (1247.00, 2 players) 6
CO checks, Hero checks

CO shows Q Q (Two Pair, Queens and Threes) (Pre 68%, Flop 76%, Turn 70%)
Hero shows A J (Two Pair, Jacks and Threes) (Pre 32%, Flop 24%, Turn 30%)
CO wins 1,247.00

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With an M of 99, and the fact that I am usually multi-tabling, this is a fold pre.

P.S. After making the decision to play this hand, and given you are so deep, I hate the min raise on the flop.

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And villain shows up with bigger ...

I hate statements like "never" and "always" when applied to poker situations. I see several of those above, though, and this is my personal pet peeve.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's been a while since I posted the hand, and a few of you have asked me what the villain had.

So here is the hand in its full glory!

Merge - $0+$0.00|<> NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 1,495.00
MP+1: 1,500.00
CO: 1,530.00
Hero (BTN): 1,485.00
SB: 1,490.00
BB: 1,500.00
UTG: 1,500.00
UTG+1: 1,500.00
UTG+2: 1,500.00

SB posts SB 5.00, BB posts BB 10.00

Pre Flop: (pot: 15.00) Hero has A J

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, CO raises to 80.00, Hero calls 80.00, fold, fold

Flop: (175.00, 2 players) 3 3 J
CO bets 90.00, Hero raises to 180.00, CO calls 90.00

Turn: (535.00, 2 players) 8
CO checks, Hero bets 356.00, CO calls 356.00

River: (1247.00, 2 players) 6
CO checks, Hero checks

CO shows Q Q (Two Pair, Queens and Threes) (Pre 68%, Flop 76%, Turn 70%)
Hero shows A J (Two Pair, Jacks and Threes) (Pre 32%, Flop 24%, Turn 30%)
CO wins 1,247.00

ok not to be all results oriented or anything but did I not say several times that I could see villain taking this line with QQ-AA. :rolleyes:

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok not to be all results oriented or anything but did I not say several times that I could see villain taking this line with QQ-AA. :rolleyes:
Do we not play against ranges anymore? Of course they were in his range (although I'd weight it in terms of QQ-AA rather than doing a straight combos calculation) but he had more hands we beat in his range.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do we not play against ranges anymore? Of course they were in his range (although I'd weight it in terms of QQ-AA rather than doing a straight combos calculation) but he had more hands we beat in his range.

yea im just messing with you guys that were saying that they didn't think QQ-AA was likely here. I know we play ranges and I agreed that this may be an appropriate v-bet spot.

However I wouldn't say there are a lot more hands that we beat in his range that he would call a v-bet with and there are a few hands that will stack us when we are forced to call a shove.