$5.50 NLHE MTT: top pair with weak kicker OOP against supernova

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
http://www.handconverter.com/hands/2776541

CO is a loose player and he has Supernova status .

preflop- cheap flop with hand that can turn into a monster, and I think , my game preflop is much better than average player that play there, therefore i call.

FLOP -flopped top pair and I don't want to donk bet so i check, PF agresor c- bet CO calls and I'm thinking that check-raise looks very strong here and will get many folds. to my surprise CO calls

I'm thinking what he could do that with.. hands that are way ahead 22 , 33 maybe TT but i think he is 3 betting TT preflop , AT, KT , QT, JT , T9 , and flush draws Axs QJs J9s.

TURN - NOw i have flush draw myself. and maybe I should bet bigger 2/3 3/4 or pot to fold all draws. but I bet 1/2 so he does get 1/3 pot odds and fold his weak flush draws.

To my surpirse he calls- I check fold because I can only beat his busted flush draws and the fact he called check raise on flop is worrying, and it was early I think better fold and find better spot. I asked him if he shows and he said yes and after fold showed me only one card. :D i'll write this card in comments later

Good lay down ?

A

Alexandru24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have 150bb. There is no need to make a huge pot with top pair. Pre flop cal was good, but on the flop I think the best option is check-call and play a small pot. If you raise there Villan will only call you with hands that beat you. He's not gonna call you with a single 3 or 2. Just check call flop. As played he can have an A so the fold on the river was ok. But the action on flop and turn not so good.

MrEsprectro

MrEsprectro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
http://www.handconverter.com/hands/2776541

CO is a loose player and he has Supernova status .

preflop- cheap flop with hand that can turn into a monster, and I think , my game preflop is much better than average player that play there, therefore i call.

FLOP -flopped top pair and I don't want to donk bet so i check, PF agresor c- bet CO calls and I'm thinking that check-raise looks very strong here and will get many folds. to my surprise CO calls

I'm thinking what he could do that with.. hands that are way ahead 22 , 33 maybe TT but i think he is 3 betting TT preflop , AT, KT , QT, JT , T9 , and flush draws Axs QJs J9s.

TURN - NOw i have flush draw myself. and maybe I should bet bigger 2/3 3/4 or pot to fold all draws. but I bet 1/2 so he does get 1/3 pot odds and fold his weak flush draws.

To my surpirse he calls- I check fold because I can only beat his busted flush draws and the fact he called check raise on flop is worrying, and it was early I think better fold and find better spot. I asked him if he shows and he said yes and after fold showed me only one card. :D i'll write this card in comments later

Good lay down ?

I think the flop check raise is correct, because then you find out if he is strong. After he calls you know that you are probably behind, or he has a very good draw. At this point I would just check turn and river to try to get to showdown and fold to a bet.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just check/call down and try to get to the cheapest river imaginable, the thing is we're dominated quite often here multiway, so our hand isn't strong enough to value raise, and if we're doing it as a bluff it doesnt make sense either.

Therefore our best option is to just c/c and possibly fold to high aggression on later streets, this isn't a pot that should affect our tournament in the negative or positive, if these types of spots are high variance for you, then you have just discovered a big leak you can quickly fix.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once he called your re-raise on the flop, I would have slowed it down. Top pair and weak kicker. If he had raised your check on the turn, I am most likely getting out of the hand there, although the flush draw was enticing. Either way, I am probably not calling his river bet.