$5.50 NLHE: $5 NL SNG

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$5.50 NL HE: $5 NL SNG

Am I getting the right implied odds to set mine? And if not, in what situation would I?

pokerstars Game #28350960696: Tournament #164799329, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2009/05/18 17:52:04 ET
Table '164799329 1' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: TheBuddha13 (1340 in chips)
Seat 2: djgolfcan (1530 in chips)
Seat 4: crazygenius (1775 in chips)
Seat 5: LckyIrishman (345 in chips)
Seat 6: Chuck474 (1370 in chips)
Seat 7: River T 1 (3170 in chips)
Seat 8: r3na155anc3 (2770 in chips)
Seat 9: AbB100 (1200 in chips)
Chuck474: posts small blind 15
River T 1: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to djgolfcan [7c 7s]
r3na155anc3: folds
AbB100: raises 90 to 120
TheBuddha13: folds
djgolfcan: ??

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMHO this is not a spot for set mining due to the shortie 2 to your left.

If you complete, the SS shoves and then AdB reshoves you'll have to lay down your 7's here. By calling the raise, you end up making it a no-brainer for the SS to shove pretty wide and then AdB will have a pretty easy re-shove to isolate given a typical UTG+1 range. Your only other option would be to 3-bet to isolate AdB but that wouldn't make sense here. If you had AA/KK then caling to draw in the SS and AdB would be expected. The only way I could see calling here is if your read on AdB was such that you would expect him to donk fold to the SS making an AI.

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, this depends on your attitude to risk.

The initial raiser has put in about 10% of his stack, and there's a decent chance we'll get a call from one of the blinds too. Both of them have reasonable sized stacks. So we'll be in position postflop against one or two players with reasonable amounts of money behind - on the face of it this looks like a good spot to set mine and in a cash game (probably an MTT too) I'd be doing it.

In a SnG though... I dunno. This early survival is the name of the game and for this to pay off in the long run we need to be pretty sure we're gonna get our opponents stacks when we hit for it to pay off. If we just win the money that went in preflop when we hit, maybe we'd have been better off folding. An extra 200 or so in chips will make no real difference to the outcome of the game.

I guess I'm OK with it either way. Folding is nitty but I don't hate it. Calling won't always pay off, but when it does we're in good shape to push the table around.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
snapfold.

effective stacks are only 10* the initial raise, you're in early position and as such are really open to a squeeze or running into someone with a huge hand and the shorty can screw all kinds of things up.

heck, in a sng even if it's folded to me here i still toss 77.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would go all in with double 7's depending on how early the the sit in go started, but if your deep into the tournament i would just call, and if the flop has all three cards less than ten raise signifcantly

HH says it's the second level of the SnG and only one player has been eliminated. It's early.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I am feeling better about my decision to fold. I have started playing these SNGs really tight and have been having quite a bit of success.
I was just wondering if I was getting too nitty. Especially when the flop comes A-7-K and one guy has AK and the other A-Q.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yah, easy fold for sure. If he had opened for a min-raise, I'd call in behind.
Also if folded to me I would also just be tossing the hand. A little further into the game and I'd be opening for a raise of 2.5x.