No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Deep Stacked
Currency
$
During review I came across this hand out of the SCOOP tourney I played. Deepstacked game, early phase of the tourney.
I'm not sure about the flop call with 2 behind, but with 2 checksthe third player might just be firing to pick up the pot. I don't think I let go of a Qx hand here, butnot having the BDFD hurts a bit.

It's the turn that I'm interested in. Seeing the check to me and having a medium hand, a big bet is out of the question for sure. But isn't a small sizing decent here to attack any potential draws, and Tx? If so, was the half-pot sizing correct or should I have sized down more to 1/3rd pot?

pokerstars - 150/300 Ante 40 NL (8 max) - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

UTG: 94,993 (316.6 bb)
UTG+1: 37,877 (126.3 bb)
MP: 55,154 (183.8 bb)
Hero (CO): 50,920 (169.7 bb)
BTN: 50,373 (167.9 bb)
SB: 37,091 (123.6 bb)
BB: 48,703 (162.3 bb)

7 players post ante of 40, SB posts 150, BB posts 300

Pre Flop: (pot: 730) Hero has :8d4: :qd4:
2 folds, MP raises to 600, Hero calls 600, fold, SB calls 450, BB calls 300

Flop: (2,680, 4 players) :qh4: :10c4: :3c4:
SB checks, BB checks, MP bets 1,340, Hero calls 1,340, 2 folds

Turn: (5,360, 2 players) :6h4:
MP checks, Hero bets 2,700,

fold

Results: 5,360 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :qh4: :10c4: :3c4: :6h4:

Hero wins 5,360

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
This call is a bit loose, but at least its only a min-raise.

Flop
You do have two players left to act behind you, but even so its feels to tight to call preflop and then fold, when you flop top pair. I mean: Its predictable, that the blinds were going to come along for this good of a price, or at least one of them. And if you are not even happy with top pair, what exactly are you trying to hit on the flop?

Turn
I dont think, you have a 3 street hand, so there are two reasonable ways to approach the situation. You can either bet turn, like you did, and then check back all rivers except maybe an offsuit 8 or Q. Or you can check back turn and then look to call across most rivers or perhaps bet for thin value, if he check to you again.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At this stack depth we have to be very careful about reverse implied odds as well as being squeezed by the BTN vs competent players-
If our V are not aggressive it is better to raise this hand than call it.
Why? If we call with 3 players left to act -1 in position -they will call better Qx hands and all their Kxs hands that dominate our flush draw but if we raise they fold some of that range.

As played--- We have to think about what we are targeting with our bet for value- If the V has a weak holding on this board they will fold it so we are not targeting that-so no reason to bet smaller except to allow A high hands to suckout or small pairs to hit and win a big pot-
So what calls half pot ---build the range yourself using equilab- then ask yourself how much more will that range call? 66% pot 80% pot pot?
We are deep- when we are deep our bets need to be bigger. How big a bet would we make with a bluff on this board? Why not bet that size for value?

We are ok with folds here we have a vulnerable hand on a multi draw board- GTO has us fold this hand preflop- taking the pot down on turn is a great outcome with this holding.

checking spoiler now

So the V had nothing to call with so we could easily have bet 66% pot or more and got the same result from that part of their range but charged the calling part of their range the max.

:unsure::geek:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So the V had nothing to call with so we could easily have bet 66% pot or more and got the same result from that part of their range but charged the calling part of their range the max.
In a 4-way pot, the Villain should not be C-betting the flop with hands, that cant continue across a blank turn against a single opponent and a half pot sized bet. He should have either a decent made hand or a decent draw, and those hands should either continue betting the turn or check-call. So if OP is into taking notes, then he could take a note, that the Villain is over C-betting in multiway pots :)

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
Pre-flop the call was too loose in my opinion. I'm guessing since the bet was so small and it was start of the tournament, the fact that the cards were suited tempted you to get into the action.
On flop you hit a top pair, so you really aren't folding here. Especially not to c-bets, which I'm surprised your opponent made into 3 other people, considering he seems to not have anything.
Turn I like that bet after the action was passed to you. My reasoning would be that since he did not bet on turn, his hand didn't make anything, so he gave up on that pot, maybe only banking to see free card on river. I like the size of your bet also, as you want this dude out of the pot there. He's most likely holding Ax or a similar hand. You don't want to bet small and have him call, then hit his top pair on the river.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like what has already been said and highly agree with Fundiver that turn and river combined should be bet and check in some order but I will add that I think it really should be bet turn check river with the turn card that comes. This is a card that double suits the board plus with the Q and 10 out, there are realistic straight draws so I would not be checking back here. I would be value betting with this Q (even though kicker blows since it is a hand we should not be in but that was already mentioned) since there are plenty of draws that will call here. On a double suited board like this I would bet fairly large (I think 2700 is actually as small as you would want to go here) because we can get calls from worse. If the turn card happened to be a low diamond or spade then I think checking here is fine and then evaluate river but with this card bringing another flush draw I think this is a near mandatory bet imo.

As others have mentioned calling here pre flop is not the best action. I will say, though, in terms of "bad calls" this one is not terrible since the whole table is hella deep, we are suited, the cards are connected enough to need only 3 cards for a straight, and its a min raise. We cant discount those behind us, though, and many of them will/could squeeze sitting on 150BB+ stacks and we cant be calling off squeeze bets here so this hand is a slot machine hand which can be fine deep but we all know slot machines can get you in trouble quickly.