$400 NLHE MTT Rebuy: 9 handed AKo in BB, first hand of tournament

L

lJesterl

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry I'm new here but will get better with my posts.

This one i just sat down at table as I was late to reg due to travel. No info on players at the table.

300/500 with a 500 BB Ante. Full 9 player table. 15,000 chips (starting amount) 2 minutes left in level before 300/600/600.

Pre Flop

UTG: 17,000 chips - limp calls 500
UTG+1 - folds
MP1: 25,000 chips - limp calls 500
MP2 (Villain): 40,000 chips - limp calls 500
HJ - folds
CO - folds
BTN - folds
SB - folds
BB (Hero): 15,000 chips - raised 2500 total

:ah4::ks4:

I was thinking 2x raise + 1 BB per limper.

UTG: - calls 2000 more
MP1: - calls 2000 more
MP2: - calls 2000 more

Pot is 10,300

Flop

:kd4::3d4::jh4:

BB (Hero): i checked top pair top kicker
UTG: checked
MP1: checked

MP2 (Villain): overbets the pot and bets 15,000
BB (Hero): i called with my remaining 12,200
UTG: calls with his remaining 14,500
MP1: Folds

UTG shows :ad4::10d4: he's on a draw
MP2 shows :ks4::kh4: for a flopped set

Final Board

:kd4::3d4::jh4::6c4::8s4:

Was my call off bad?

The limping made it hard for me to range anyone other than middle pairs or speculative hands prior to the overbet. AA or KK wasn't a worry. I thought flush draw or AK too on Villain when he overbet.

Should I have led out insteading of checking the flop?

In my mind I wanted to see what happened and would have led out on the turn. Same end result but curious.

Lastly any feedback on posting future hands since this is my first post. Thank you very much!

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Against 3 limpers I like to go even larger than 5BB. The goal is to get at least someone to fold, not to play a 4-way pot out of position.

Flop
The stack to pot ratio is very low, so you cant really do anything completely wrong here other than fold. That being said I do lean towards putting out a small bet to not allow it to get checked through and everyone to realise their equity. As played you have to call it off. Folding would be way to tight.

Results
At the end of the day just a standard cooler. The guy with KK should have gotten all the chips in preflop, and then the result would have been just the same. Suck to bust in the first hand, but when you register this late, that is going to happen much more regularly, because stacks are already short.

B

bigfish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely raise bigger preflop, because with so many limpers in front they get amazing pot odds. AKo doesn't play great in multiway pots, so we want to generate preflop folds. Also, OOP we have to raise bigger than IP.
On a coordinated flop I would bet big to not give the correct pot odds for draws (not sure if it's the correct GTO play, but it's how I think about those situations).
And yeap, with that SPR I would lose too all my chips, took a deep breath and moved to another tournament! :)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone else find this odd that there are this many limpers in a $400 buy in and a player that is over limping 2 limpers when they have KK? Seems extremely odd to me and I rarely see this stuff in the micros. However, I dont know the player pool in $400s as I will never even sniff them.

As far as the hand goes, I agree with others that your pre flop bet should be a little larger and you already are putting in 1/6th of your stack with the raise already. We are 30 BBs deep here with 3 limpers in front. At 30 BBs with AK which blocks the two hands I am worried about I think jamming pre is fine. It will get folds most of the time but you are picking up some chips and also the ante you put in as the BB.

As played going to the flop we are against 3 opponents and have an SPR of a little over 1. We have top pair top kicker on a flush draw board. I don't like betting anything other than all in here since betting to even give the first caller improper odds would be over 1/4th our remaining stack and we just couldnt fold after that anyway. I put it in here and really hope no one slowplayed anything and would be hoping I get called by a flush draw. Getting 3 folds at this point would be fantastic as well with all the chips in the middle. I just think with what we have left going to the flop and connecting with the flop, we dont have the chips to get cute and have to make others draw against the odds.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone else find this odd that there are this many limpers in a $400 buy in and a player that is over limping 2 limpers when they have KK?

Its live poker and just go to show, that maybe those of us only playing online are missing out on some really good games :)

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
All Im going to say wouldnt change the end of the hand but probably would be more profitable in the long run.

When I punish limpers, I like to think in what hands I would like to keep in the villain range. So we have to regard the pot size and I think it is a little bet raising to 2500 as a punishment, regarding the pot had 3300 chips when it came to you. You could have raised to 3000, like this you would eliminate small pairs and could open shove on the flop for any flop against one player.

It is not a good idea to check top pair when there are probably flush draw and straight draw on the flop because the hands that hold this spots are exactly the draws and they are the hands that will bring profits.
A good Cbet to call any all in, I think it was good.

Last edited:
azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You misplayed the hand preflop by not raising but your call off isn't bad at all, just unlucky

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone else find this odd that there are this many limpers in a $400 buy in and a player that is over limping 2 limpers when they have KK? Seems extremely odd to me and I rarely see this stuff in the micros. However, I dont know the player pool in $400s as I will never even sniff them.

I may can imagine UTG or UTG+1 doing this if they are very sure to see a re-raise and paralise their line by a limp-3bet. But I'm neither a big fan of this, and only can doing at bounty games where someone(s) low behind me.
That position is so late to limp, there's no excuse for this, even the raise call is just so weak, as BB almost alwaysand both UTG just can have worst hands than the kings. So I'm leaning to think that villain is extremely tight.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice post, keep it going. :)

I can see a bigger pre raise as well. Also if we shoved pre domination, even there are 3 players, we hit top pair so we definitely have to put a smaller continuation bet here, a bit bigger that 1/4 pot will do a great job. If someone reraises our bet, we can make a call.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands