$4 NLHE: A clear fold?

T

tonelise

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$4 NL HE: A clear fold?

This is the type of hand that make me loose controle, is this a clear fold or what?
The villain was just moved to our table and had doubled his stack by slowplaying KK the previous hand.
I really can't place him with a top pair after his weak call preflop, unless he's slowplaying two hands in a row.

Stacks:
* MP3 with 1085
* CO with 1185
* BTN with 3340
* SB with 1177
* BB with 2755
* UTG with 2850
* UTG+1 with 1820
* MP1 with 3760
* MP2 with 2075

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds: 25/50
Site: pokerstars
* * Dealt to CO:K♦ Q♦
* * Sklansky group 2
Preflop:
* * 2 players fold.
* * MP2 calls [50]
* * 1 players fold.
* * Hero raises 100 to 150
* * 3 players fold.
* * MP2 calls [100]
* * Total folds this street: 6
* * Potsize: 375
Flop:
* * 5♦ 10♣ J♣
* * MP2 bets [150]
* * Hero raises 150 to 300
* * MP2 raises 1625 to 1925 [ all-in ]

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise more preflop, 200-250

Easy fold, you only have 2 overs and an OESD but any of the spade outs are probably not any good. Even is we put opponent on a mediocre hand that would limp/call and then lead out with a blocking bet, you don't have the odds to call

Board: 5d Ts Js

Wins Ties equity
35.20% 5.16% 40.37% ( KdQd )
54.47% 5.16% 59.63% ( JT,QJ+,KJ+,AT+ )

toogood2k

toogood2k

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
sure there is clear fold, becouse potsize is so low (375) pre-flop and on the flop you for sure cant call (1925) just only with OESD. if you have KQ of clubs, then there could be 100% call, but only with this emm no never... if you want to play after this hand in tournament you need to fold this easy.

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise more preflop, 200-250

Easy fold, you only have 2 overs and an OESD but any of the spade outs are probably not any good. Even is we put opponent on a mediocre hand that would limp/call and then lead out with a blocking bet, you don't have the odds to call

Board: 5d Ts Js

Wins Ties Equity
35.20% 5.16% 40.37% ( KdQd )
54.47% 5.16% 59.63% ( JT,QJ+,KJ+,AT+ )

Maybe you need glasses as bad as I do. You mean clubs I think.

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot size = 1,560 (375 + 150 + 300 + 735)

pot odds to call @ 2-1 (1560/735)

The only had you would be in a borderline situation against is a set. If your opponent has any other hand you are getting the proper odds to justify a call.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You put in over 1/3 of your stack. As long as you have outs this is a clear call. The min. raise on the flop commits you and puts you to a tight spot when he decides to go allin. If you decide to raise te flop your better off shoving. You want to maximize your fold equity.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'd put him on either a flush draw or a 2 pair - J/10.

To reiterate what Jilly said... raise more preflop, and this should be a fold on the flop after the re-raise.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the total pot is 1710(375 + 300!! + 300 +735) and it cost another 735 to call. thats like 2.33:1 odds. that means you need around 30% equity to make this call correct. as an earlier poster points out you have around 40% easy call.

T

tonelise

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i ended up calling, got lucky on a 50-50% situation. i really think these situations are hard to read, especially in cheap buy in tournaments where your opponent can have a wide range of cards. I don't raise more then 3xBB on this hand OOP.

ToneLise: calls 735 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (890) returned to PeppeSwe
*** TURN *** [5d Tc Jc] [Ah]
*** RIVER *** [5d Tc Jc Ah] [6d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
PeppeSwe: shows [9c Qc] (high card Ace)
ToneLise: shows [Kd Qd] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
ToneLise collected 2445 from pot

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't raise more then 3xBB on this hand OOP.

Then you are purposely giving, the other players that limped, good odds to call and so your raise does nothing more than inflate the pot. Do you like playing large pots with mediocre starting hands? Or would you rather have your mediocre starting hands win preflop?

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, raise more preflop, eliminate the limpers and don't make it so easy for anyone else to call with a draw.
Agrression can be you friend.
The overbet IMO should tell you he probably doesn't want action.

:)
And the odds were in your favor, you should call.

:cool:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
i ended up calling, got lucky on a 50-50% situation. i really think these situations are hard to read, especially in cheap buy in tournaments where your opponent can have a wide range of cards. I don't raise more then 3xBB on this hand OOP.

You don't raise more than 3xBB OOP??.. but you have position on villain here?
I totally agree w C52.... if you're going to raise on the flop, just shove it allin here (it gives you two ways in which to win the hand).
Try to think ahead in a hand... ie. "okay now if I 'minraise' here on the flop.. what am I going to do if I'm reraised or shoved on &/or what will I do on the turn if he leads out & I miss, etc. etc.? (cuz he's not going to fold to a min-raise imo). If you think you're going to be in a tough spot and would be seriously considering calling off with the rest of your stack.. why not just get it in first?

T

tonelise

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thx for replies :)
I don't raise more then 3xBB on this hand preflop OOP. It might not be the best strategy, but as a beginner i felt i had to make me some rules to make some decisions easier. I understand that raising big preflop is a good strategy since everyone here always seems to agree on that, but i can't play that way until i really understand why. Like in my position, why wouldn't i want Q9s to call my bid, which is a 70-30% in my favor? Is it rally all about the blinds?
Thinking ahead in the game is a good advice which i try to follow, but it isn't easy, things will get better with practice i guess :)

Last edited:
M

mokivsupra

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad call especially for your tourney life but hey it worked out.

Folding in Poker