$4.50 NLHE STT: Interesting hand: defending my BB with QKo

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
http://www.handconverter.com/hands/2793988

I have a really hard time choosing hands that I should call with from BB when facing only a standard raise from any position. I guess QKo is a hand that deserves a call. I hate playing out of position, and i try to avoid it.

BTW if you know any free resources about calling and raising ranges from BB I would be greatful.

FLOP: It hits well both UTG openning range and my calling range. He and I could also have lower and medium pocket pairs.

I have 2nd pair , gutshot and back door nut flush draw- therefore my hand deserves a call.

TURN: He might be betting still for Value with AK, AQ, or AJ, AT, AA , (KK less likely but still possible) or still trying to push me out of the hand with his medium pp.

I have now plenty of outs, therefore semibluff check -raise. He calls

RIVER: perfect card , I am now only beaten by JJ. I decide to bet 1/2 ot get value from AJ and chop in worst scenario with AK KQ. he folds.

Well played >?

What do you think villian had ? My guess is TT with T of hearts or complete air.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you hate playing out of position, you should probably play out of position more and learn to love it/lessen your losses from the blinds, it's really important in games like hyper turbo sngs or cash games to be able to play oop, i know you play mtts, but the point remains you can still lessen losses from the blinds by being able to play oop more often.

There are no resources that will be helpful for calling/raising ragnes from the BB, it's all about your opponants, and what ranges they play, that dictates what you shoudl do from the blinds to be the most profitable.

Vs an UTG range which is likely pretty strong, we don't really have to get involved at all, since an UTG range opens so rarely compared to other positions we can actually exploit the tight ranges they open with by just folding decent hands like KQ which can be dominated more often and get us into big pots, basically it has a lot of reverse implied odds feel about the hand. Vs other positions, this can be a great hand to defend with, because lets say this player raises from the button, calling now is a great idea because we dominate a ton of his opening ranges and can play for bigger pots postflop and not worry so much about being dominated.

postflop you played it ok, i would have just called the turn, since there isn't much chance he will fold before the river. we might have the best hand now, and he might give up on rivers, but we have a decent amount of cards that give us the best hand on the river, and we can still extract value then if needed. So i prefer to keep the pot smaller here on turn. when he double barrells it's far less likely he's doing it with his smaller PP and more chance he's doing it with a value type hand you mention or as a complete bluff. Once he calls he's almost always on a decent ace or some sort of hand with a flush draw or straight draw, like AxTh or something like that.

So i think you played it ok. But the raise on the turn is kind of a semi bluff but with no real reason behind it. Like if he has a bluff, he will fold, and we possibly lose value from losing his river bet. ANy value hand will at least call to the river, but if we miss, which happens more often than we hit on the river, we're stuck with middle pair, but we have initiative out of position, so if we check and he bets, we have no idea what to do and basically have to fold. Now if we had position here, i'd like the turn raise more, becuase then when villian checks, we can check back the river and be happy with the small showdown value we have.

H

haystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes your did deserve a call and yes you played it well and btw i think he had air

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands