$4.40 NLHE MTT: Rush Tourney, Call or not?

K

KMcoyote3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small blind with Ad, Kh
UTG +3 raises 3.5 times BB, One caller in cutoff.
Flat call wanting to see a flop and not overplay Ace King in rush.
Flop is Ks, 3h, 9d. I check knowing that raiser will probably bet.
Original raiser donkshoves for 4k chips, covering me. Cutoff folds and I eventually call. Turns over 9's and I'm out. I can't help but to think I made the right call but got unlucky. Or should I have raised preflop to get a better feel for where I stood?

H

HomeBrewer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Other than the fact that I am 3-betting AKs, this is a standard situation I have experienced in these games. Better luck next time.

Probably should be in the bad beat section...

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What were the stack sizes? Blinds and antes? The size of the pot and your stack relative to the 4k shove is important. Need to put him on a range and figure out your pot odds. Sounds like you're pretty deep though since you say he donk-shoves.

Based on what we know, good call I think, just unlucky. That's about the best flop you can hope for with AK (well, maybe AAK is nice). You'd think a set would try to milk the hand for some value, particularly with no draws to protect against at all. At microstakes you'll see people get it in with less than TPTK (sometimes much less), and you wouldn't think he'd be raising all that often with A9, A3, 33. The only hands you're really worried about are AA, 99. I don't really like calling off all my chips when deep with TPTK, but I think most times I call here.

I probably would 3-bet AK preflop from the SB here. You're going to be OOP the rest of the hand, so unless you think he's really tight a 3-bet is probably good. In this case you probably don't get him to fold, but in other cases you can just end the hand and not have to play OOP.

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably should be in the bad beat section...

I think it's a valid question. I'm still playing micros, but from talking to other better players, stacking off with TPTK at higher stakes can be unprofitable. Then again at higher stakes you're not normally going to get people shoving with a set to a check on the flop...

H

HomeBrewer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a valid question. I'm still playing micros, but from talking to other better players, stacking off with TPTK at higher stakes can be unprofitable. Then again at higher stakes you're not normally going to get people shoving with a set to a check on the flop...

Not sure what you are saying, but a $4.40 tourney is a micro...

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure what you are saying, but a $4.40 tourney is a micro...

Yeah sorry I was not clear at all. I was saying that at these stakes, which are micro, it might be profitable to stack off with TPTK, but as opponents get better it may not always be right. So even if the call was good here, I think it's worth while to discuss it.

K

KMcoyote3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds were 50/100 I think. That shove from him just smelled like a King and him trying to steal/protect. Maybe he thought I would think that. The double trap I guess :/. We were both sitting at about 4k in chips when he shoved.