$4.40 MTT at ACR. I cant believe he called me with this!

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yatahay Network - 175/350 NL (8 max) - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 414.88 BB
UTG+1: 86.46 BB
MP: 100.86 BB
CO: 111.66 BB
BTN: 106.04 BB
Hero (SB): 95.59 BB
BB: 99.34 BB

7 players post ante of 0.14 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.5 BB) Hero has 5:spade: 4:spade:

UTG raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 5 BB, fold, UTG calls 3 BB

Flop: (12 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond: 2:spade: 4:heart:
Hero bets 6 BB, UTG calls 6 BB

Turn: (24 BB, 2 players) 9:diamond:
Hero bets 12 BB, UTG calls 12 BB

River: (48 BB, 2 players) 2:diamond:
Hero bets 72.44 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 72.44 BB

UTG shows 5:club: 5:diamond: (Two Pair, Fives and Twos)
(Pre 81%, Flop 73%, Turn 86%)
Hero shows 5:spade: 4:spade: (Two Pair, Fours and Twos)
(Pre 19%, Flop 27%, Turn 14%)
UTG wins 192.89 BB

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for the post!

As much as your opponent made a heroic calling line, you really leveled yourself to have this one.

Preflop: This exact hand you have could work from SB as a call, since we not expect UTG to have a lot 5 or 4 in the hand, and we could hit some flush-straight combinations as well. I do agree that this deep having 415bbs is very fishy to see a 2bb open. However the biggest mistake we could do is to assimilate our game and acting wider and more opened as the villain, especially out-of-position. But you decided to represent mainly high pocket pairs and went for the 3-bet. It's dangerous cause there's an upcoming player. Also you selected a wrong sizing, as this deep OOP 5bb 3-bet is not really appropriate, it's a really cheap call for the original raiser, but I would call you off every medio hand from BB since now getting a great prize for extremely cheap and doubt that UTG would 4-bet you.

Flop & Turn & River: Now you starting to put half-pots in. I agree, that's now a great back-up to your hand. However still a big agression after that tiny 3-bet pre. The Turn is now bringing a semi-wet party as opponent still makes a call, and that's a sign that we maybe not in that great shape. As the River completes flushes, sets, FH-s and staright were already a thing, it's going to be actually a praying rather than a smart bluff. I mean too many hands arrived until now.
It's maybe suprising but I think that there's no need here to overbet, a bet like 29.5bbs still would get you two to the same spot if its destined like that. Just occasionally you could be actually strong on a board like this, your opp is more times. So to let our bluffs in as our value, I think your final bluff should not be fatal.

Anyway, the hero moves ended in a hero call, better luck next time! :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I think, this 3-bet is pretty far out to lunch, and if you are going to make it, you need to go much larger. He is not going to fold any hand, when he only need to put in another 3BB to see a flop in position with deep stacks and tons of implied odds. So all, you are doing here, is to build a bigger pot, when you are out of position with the worst hand. But I dont think, this is the great spot for a large 3-bet either. Your hand is very bad, and without other information I will assume, that someone with such a big stack is less interested in folding. He have 4 times as many chips as you, so you can not put his tournament life at risk, and maybe he is playing the rush after getting lucky in some big pots. So if you are going to play this hand, I prefer to just put in another 1,5BB and hope to see a cheap flop.

Flop
You flopped a pair + OESD, and betting for value and protection seem fine, although check-calling would also be a good alternative line.

Turn
Now I am less onboard with betting, because you have likely already folded out some of his air like his KJ or whatever. You can still get called by some worse hands like mainly AX, which has a wheel draw, but its starting to get a bit thin, and it makes no sense to turn this hand into a bluff. You have a combination of a draw and a weak made hand, and in general such a hand is good for check-calling rather than pushing the action.

River
Now you are purely bluffing, and I dont think, this is the right hand to bluff with. Sure you block some straights, but those would likely have raised either flop or turn, and you still have at least some showdown value. If you check here, maybe he will check behind his busted wheeldraw with AK or whatever, and your low pair is actually good. So for me the best line here is to check and fold to any substantial bet.

Results
Yes that was a light call by him, and it perfectly illustrate, why we dont want to bluff someone with such a massive stack either preflop or postflop.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yatahay Network - 175/350 NL (8 max) - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 414.88 BB
UTG+1: 86.46 BB
MP: 100.86 BB
CO: 111.66 BB
BTN: 106.04 BB
Hero (SB): 95.59 BB
BB: 99.34 BB

7 players post ante of 0.14 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.5 BB) Hero has 5:spade: 4:spade:

UTG raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 5 BB, fold, UTG calls 3 BB

Flop: (12 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond: 2:spade: 4:heart:
Hero bets 6 BB, UTG calls 6 BB

Turn: (24 BB, 2 players) 9:diamond:
Hero bets 12 BB, UTG calls 12 BB

River: (48 BB, 2 players) 2:diamond:
Hero bets 72.44 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 72.44 BB

UTG shows 5:club: 5:diamond: (Two Pair, Fives and Twos)
(Pre 81%, Flop 73%, Turn 86%)
Hero shows 5:spade: 4:spade: (Two Pair, Fours and Twos)
(Pre 19%, Flop 27%, Turn 14%)
UTG wins 192.89 BB
There is an old saying you do not want to get into a fight with the big dog without a very big stick-:D
One of the keys to doing well in tournaments is avoiding difficult situations when we can- embracing them when we have to and knowing the difference.
This is a spot where we took an action preflop that would put us into a difficult spot most often- then when we picked up a little stick on the flop and we fought to the death with it- we embraced a difficulty we just did not need to
Our study point here is why did we do that? What motivated you to choose these actions? Reflect on the emotional- not rational- impulses that caused you to act this way and your ROI will improve(y)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot is wrong here imo. The 3 bet pre is way too small with a bad hand to do it with. I get we need to 3 bet bluff (which I dont do anywhere near enough of) but is this the hand we want to do with it and of we would not do with this sizing.

Then on the flop you bet which with your hand is fine and also we are trying, I guess, to tell a story. We would bet here with overpairs (there are others that we would with as well but looking at this from villains perspective as to what they believe you would do with this that they are behind) but I think villain if thinking is going to discount sets as who is small 3 betting with 22,33 or 44? A5 could be there but its one hand so villain with tecnically an overpair and the draw is easy calling.

Turn comes which brings another diamond and you bet again. I thinking checking is better but keeping in with villain they are still thinking the same range as on flop for you as far as hands that beat them. They could fold here but they also know they could crack a big hand so not entirely crazy that they call against the odds and go for implied odds.

Now comes the river which pairs the board and brings the flush in. You rip it. Do overpairs rip it there with that river? They shouldnt as flush just got there and villain can have 2x way more than you can have 2x (although I would doubt either of you do or thinks the other does). Does the made flush rip here with board pairing and villain potentially having a set (they could open small with 33 and 44 where youre 3 bet range has none of that)? I wouldnt think so. Same goes for A5 as that loses to flush and boat as well. Those hands potentially bet here but not jams so when you jam, what the hell could you have that you are jamming confidently? The only hand that you could have here that would do this would be 99 and those will be rare. If villain is thinking this way then they will weight you way more heavily towards bluffs and then can and will at times call off super light with hands like this 55. To m, the better bet as a bluff here (I wouldnt bluff here at all but just saying) would be to bet smaller and make it look like a value bet or a bet that a strong hand would still make but is displaying some rational sense of caution.

Above is long way of saying you dont have the nut advantage here. Villain should know your 44, 33, 22 are nonexistent and other strong hands that you could possibly have would not jam river as they are farther away from the nuts with the specific river that came down (with the exception of 99). When they can sit there and go through the hand and think "this makes no sense" they will be more apt to call with these hands that you never think they could call with.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is an old saying you do not want to get into a fight with the big dog without a very big stick-:D
Exactly. In tournament chips is power, so attacking the largest stack is a bit like going to war with the country, that has the largest army. Another old saying from Daniel Negreanu is, that we should never rely on someone, we dont know, to be good enough to fold for our tournament life :)
Now comes the river which pairs the board and brings the flush in. You rip it. Do overpairs rip it there with that river? They shouldnt as flush just got there and villain can have 2x way more than you can have 2x (although I would doubt either of you do or thinks the other does). Does the made flush rip here with board pairing and villain potentially having a set (they could open small with 33 and 44 where youre 3 bet range has none of that)? I wouldnt think so. Same goes for A5 as that loses to flush and boat as well. Those hands potentially bet here but not jams so when you jam, what the hell could you have that you are jamming confidently? The only hand that you could have here that would do this would be 99 and those will be rare. If villain is thinking this way then they will weight you way more heavily towards bluffs and then can and will at times call off super light with hands like this 55.
Its true, that whenever we are bluffing, we always need to think about, what story we are trying to tell. And if we dont have any hands, that play this way for value, then we should not bluff. Its also true, that very large bets can sometimes be perceived as more bluffy than smaller bets, in which case the opponent is not going to be elastic enough in their calling range to justify a large sizing. Putting people to the test for all their chips can sometimes work well in tournaments, especially if its near the bubble. But this brings us back to eetenors point, that here Hero was the small dog trying to attack someone with 4 times as many chips as himself.