$4.10 NLHE STT Bounty: OESD - bad shove?

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 37/14/1

Villain was a little spewy. Liked to limp into a fair number of pots and took down a bunch without showing down very often.

I'm pretty sure I like my flop raise here but not sure about sizing. It was a little over half-pot sized. Should I just push/fold here?

How about the turn? Since he called the flop should I just give it up at this point? I'm thinking with the weird tiny bet and flat call on the flop he's not that strong and might give it up.

Poker Stars - $3.00+$0.75+0.35 Tournament (#340617371) - Blinds: 75/150 No Limit Hold'em (6 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: $1660
BB: $1985
UTG: $3692
MP: $1395
CO Hero: $2948
BTN: $1820

Pre-flop: ($225) Hero is CO and dealt :js4: :kc4:
UTG raises to $300, MP folds, Hero calls $300, BTN folds, SB calls $225, BB folds
Flop: ($1050) :qh4: :6d4: :10h4: (3 players)
SB checks, UTG bets $150, Hero raises to $750, SB folds, UTG calls $600

Turn: ($2550) :qh4: :6d4: :10h4: :6c4: (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $1898 (All-in)

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't think I like the pre-flop call, you're investing ~10% of your stack with KJo with three players left to act. You could shove if your hand was a little stronger, but here I think I'm folding.

Now, on the flop, things are a little weird, because he puts out a stupid little min-bet that I don't understand. I do think that a shove would be better, because a pot-sized raise would be be about t1600 (pretty sure), and at that point you have put in over half your stack, so I would just shove. If you can take it down now, there's like 40% of your stack in the pot, so taking that down immediately is really valuable.

Hm, one other thing to consider, I'm not sure how important it is in this spot, but we're in 2nd place here, albeit not by much, I don't know if that would make us want to avoid any risky spots at this point or not. My first instinct is to say no, because we're still 6-handed, if we were on the bubble it'd be a very different story.

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks cj. Should have mentioned this table was really passive so I thought there was very little chance I'd be squeezed here. Though of course if someone wakes up with a monster I just wasted a bunch of chips. Still, agree KJ is a bit marginal here so call is questionable. Definitely folding it on the bubble as you say. I wasn't particularly happy about getting it in with the chip leader here though either when I was in 2nd. Probably could have picked a better spot to get involved.

Oh and my thinking on the flop was that I was betting 5x his tiny bet so it looks kinda scary but not committing my whole stack. If I'm going to shove the turn on a total brick though I'd probably be better off getting it it on the flop when I have more equity. Wasn't thinking ahead to what I'd do on the turn if I got called. :\

Last edited:
cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ah okay, that read does make me feel a little bit better about flatting pre... But it's still a lot of chips with a bad hand, especially against an UTG raiser :(

And one more comment about bluffing into the CL-- even if we don't get a fold, if we win we become a pretty overwhelming chip leader (although it'd be nice if we could have KO'd our opponent), which gives us a lot of opportunities for +$EV plays going into 5- and 4-handed play. The ICM tax of doing this 6-handed is going to be way less than 5-handed, and especially 4-handed. So all things considered I still think it's a good move, but I think it's important to be aware of who we are playing against and what phase of the tournament we are at-- which it seems like you are :)

MrEpic94

MrEpic94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your line.

but as said im still not very happy calling KJ pre with that many players behind.

We cant 3 bet with KJ because all the hands that call will just dominate. Dont really like calling either. Would be probably 80% folds : 20% calls

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Way too short to be flatting KJo here.

I'd prefer just calling this flop actually, you are being left with awesome odds, and you're draw isn't strong enough to raise here i don't think. Id want some sort of combo draw to justify getting it all in (which is essentially what you are doing by raising to 750 here).

But yeah, avoid this spot by just folding and hanging onto those chips. We know that, due to ICM the chips gained on top of a healthy stack are not worth as much, which means once you have a decent stack, accumulation is less important, and maintaining you're stack is more important.