• We would love to hear your thoughts! Click here to take a short survey on your CardsChat experience: Rate Your CardsChat Experience

Forum members receive 10 VIP Chips for participating (follow instructions on form).

3x BB is not a slow play? I caught him bluffing!

B

Bay101guy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Game #9065613044: Tournament #44207312, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2007/03/24 - 14:01:50 (ET)
Table '44207312 51' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: holdorfold4 (1460 in chips)
Seat 2: shelly mac (2990 in chips)
Seat 3: RichRyu2 (1470 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 4: amberturner1 (1460 in chips)
Seat 5: chuck_oz (1480 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 6: a215guynow (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: Bay101guy (1600 in chips)
Seat 8: jonrubs (40 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 9: st3hd (1500 in chips)
chuck_oz: posts small blind 10
a215guynow: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Bay101guy
card_Ad.gif
card_Ah.gif

shelly mac said, "nh"
RichRyu2 has returned
Bay101guy: raises 40 to 60
jonrubs: folds
Bay101guy said, "thnx"
st3hd: calls 60
holdorfold4: folds
shelly mac: folds
RichRyu2: raises 1410 to 1470 and is all-in
amberturner1: folds
chuck_oz: folds
a215guynow: folds
Bay101guy: raises 130 to 1600 and is all-in
st3hd: folds
*** FLOP ***
card_3c.gif
card_8h.gif
card_Qc.gif

*** TURN ***
card_3c.gif
card_8h.gif
card_Qc.gif
card_3s.gif

*** RIVER ***
card_3c.gif
card_8h.gif
card_Qc.gif
card_3s.gif
card_Jh.gif

*** SHOW DOWN ***
Bay101guy: shows
card_Ad.gif
card_Ah.gif
(two pair, Aces and Threes)
RichRyu2: shows
card_3d.gif
card_2c.gif
(three of a kind, Threes)
Bay101guy said, "come one"
RichRyu2 collected 3030 from pot
RichRyu2 is sitting out
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3030 | Rake 0
Board
card_3c.gif
card_8h.gif
card_Qc.gif
card_3s.gif
card_Jh.gif

Seat 1: holdorfold4 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: shelly mac folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: RichRyu2 showed
card_3d.gif
card_2c.gif
and won (3030) with three of a kind, Threes
Seat 4: amberturner1 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: chuck_oz (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: a215guynow (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: Bay101guy showed
card_Ad.gif
card_Ah.gif
and lost with two pair, Aces and Threes
Seat 8: jonrubs folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: st3hd folded before Flop

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When will people learn, a reraise doesn't have to be all-in. He could have bumped it up to say 200-250 and gotten everyone to fold. You go over the top and now he could have folded. He pot committed himself here and just flat out got lucky. He is going to lose those hands 70% of the time.

Last edited:
withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why did you only raise 3 x BB.

At those Blind Levels 10/20 a minimum 5/6 x BB is warranted

:(

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why raise 5-6 BB? This is a tournament. I know AA is a hand that will end up all-in preflop alot of times but why so much? You are pricing out everyone except the occasional donkey.

The 60 bet is what got the guy to go over the top and make his mistake. You bump it to 100-200 and he folds. In tournaments it is about playing within the blinds. Raising that much consistantly will eventually catch up to you. You are risking more than needed for the blind level.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just saw this is a freeroll. Never mind anything I said. freerolls are a crap shoot. Donkeys will double up or go home for the first hour. Bets don't matter here.

withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see where you are coming from Titan, however this forum always talks about mini-raising. I just think that 3xBB with AA is not enough.

I never spotted it was a freeroll either :)

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3-4xBB is perfectly fine here. Withawedge, what are you talking about? He played this as well as he possibly could. There wasn't really any options here. He raised it the standard raise, got an idiot reraising all-in with 2-3 offsuit. What else can you ask for in this situation?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way he played this hand here. Just a horrible unlucky beat.

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just saw this is a freeroll. Never mind anything I said. Freerolls are a crap shoot. Donkeys will double up or go home for the first hour. Bets don't matter here.

Good play. As others have said, don't be results oriented. As titans said a freeroll is a crap shoot and should not be used to determine how good or bad your play is.

Keep doing what your doing.

K

Kajagugu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With AA UTG you want to induce action. A 3xBB is a great way to do it since someone with a premium hand is going to try to raise it and you then have a chance to re-raise him and try to get all their chips. If you raise 5-6xBB you will lose many of those opportunities. If you limp or min-raise you will either get a lot of other limpers or callers and that will kill your odds of having the best hand in a multi-way pot.

You just got unlucky that this donk shoved on you in a freeroll. Try to play a rebuy and it hurts even more....

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see where you are coming from Titan, however this forum always talks about mini-raising. I just think that 3xBB with AA is not enough.

I never spotted it was a freeroll either :)

A mini raise is just doubling what is before you. Preflop with blinds of 10/20, it would be bumping it up to 40. This still guarantees the big blind is priced in to call no matter what cards he has. He has to invest 20 to win 50. He can call with just about anything. Bumping it to 40 also can create a calling frenzy. You get one more caller and the next thing you know every suited or connected cards are calling also. You have just created a large pot but gained no information about opponents hand strength.