3rd hand of SNG, Poorly Played?

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe this should have been a fold PF anyways...I considered it, but played the button with such small blinds.

pokerstars Game #21221265700: Tournament #114384256, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2008/10/15 16:35:16 ET
Table '114384256 1' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: ArtiZiff (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: JOHNVIA5791 (1340 in chips)
Seat 3: The Shrog (1470 in chips)
Seat 4: superstar216 (1320 in chips)
Seat 5: Lynge75 (1790 in chips)
Seat 6: smackjackII (1440 in chips)
Seat 7: Hailstorm007 (3140 in chips)
Seat 9: CazLander (1500 in chips)
superstar216: posts small blind 10
Lynge75: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to The Shrog [As 5s]
smackjackII: folds
Hailstorm007: calls 20
CazLander: folds
ArtiZiff: folds
JOHNVIA5791: folds
The Shrog: calls 20
superstar216: folds
Lynge75: checks
*** FLOP *** [4c Ks 6h]
Hailstorm007: checks
The Shrog: checks
*** TURN *** [4c Ks 6h] [4s]
Hailstorm007: checks
The Shrog: bets 60
Lynge75: calls 60
Hailstorm007: folds
*** RIVER *** [4c Ks 6h 4s] [2c]
Lynge75: bets 20

This always looks like a 6 or something, trying to get a cheap showdown. Can you fold to the minbet...any analysis of the entire hand appriciated.

V

vpb0i

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mind as well check on turn, if u gonna check on flop, same board, id just call on river, only 20 for your 60 bet on turn.

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This always looks like a 6 or something, trying to get a cheap showdown.

Really? Looks like you played AXs the same way???

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are going to play this hand i think you have to raise. the BB could, and probably does have nothing. what kind of hand does a person limp in with from UTG+1? my best guess would be a suited connector or the like. a button raise will get rid of the blinds and most likely the limper that wasn't confident enough in his hand to raise the first time around. you win the blinds and the limp, on the the next hand we go.

the other thing is your turn bet. i know that you bet just under the pot, but you are betting with ace high. you really don't want a call here do you? you have to bet more. 60 chips just isn't scary enough and being so early in the tournament players are willing to call bets on a draw. if it were me, i'd bet 100 to 140 in this situation. now if he calls that, you know you are in trouble.

J

josh_dei8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, since you are in the hand this far and he only bet 20, I'm going to make the call. I want to see what he played this far, to bet 60 on the turn and only 20 on the river. When you called his turn bet, it worried him so he only min/ bets the river. Call to see his hand, and make a mental note on what he played and use this to your advantage later in the game.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are going to play this hand i think you have to raise. the BB could, and probably does have nothing.

Well if he's got nothing, your Ace high is good, so there's no point betting and wasting more chips if you are behind.

This is a non event hand, just call 20 chips and see what he's got - no more analysis needed than that, just get on and play the next hand.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to see what he played this far, to bet 60 on the turn and only 20 on the river. When you called his turn bet, it worried him so he only min/ bets the river.

Nope, you've got that wrong - Shrog bet, opponent calls.

(there's a simple error like this on almost every thread in this section! :().

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if he's got nothing, your Ace high is good, so there's no point betting and wasting more chips if you are behind.

This is a non event hand, just call 20 chips and see what he's got - no more analysis needed than that, just get on and play the next hand.

well if the ace high is good, why not bet it, be happy to take the blinds with a weak ace and move on? you are happy to limp in? when every book in the world says to raise this. are you arguing for arguments sake?

i don't get you at all. you shove when others fold. you limp when others raise. you make no sense in my poker brain.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with Rob here. For 20 chips you call and are ahead enough to make it worthwhile. No point raising cause nothing you beat is calling.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'd call. He probably has you beat, but you're pretty much pot committed with only a 20 chip bet. And if he's bluffing, then you probably have him beat with the Ace. If you lose, it's not a big blow.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think i should clarify something. when i said raise. i meant to raise preflop. take the blinds and the limp and be done with it. on the river. i just call. there is no reason to fold there. pot odds are too great.

M

mrjohnson911

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, you've got that wrong - Shrog bet, opponent calls.

(there's a simple error like this on almost every thread in this section! :().

why cant it in fact not be a weak defensiv bet? maybe the guy also missed his draw

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands