$330 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Pocket Jacks in late position facing with UTG raise and +1 flat call

S

SWJFF

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$330 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Pocket Jacks in late position facing with UTG raise and +1 flat call

$330 buy-in live tournament, Starting chips $10k.

Small Blind 100, Big Blind 200, Ante 25, Full ring with 10 players

Villain is in the early position raise to $1500, UTG+1 flat calls and I am in the late position with Pocket Jacks.

The stacks size is about even, I have about $9k chips, villain has about $11k, the other guy is little less than me.

What should I do?

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$330 buy-in live tournament, Starting chips $10k.

Small Blind 100, Big Blind 200, Ante 25, Full ring with 10 players

Villain is in the early position raise to $1500, UTG+1 flat calls and I am in the late position with Pocket Jacks.

The stacks size is about even, I have about $9k chips, villain has about $11k, the other guy is little less than me.

What should I do?

Do not take this as must be, just some thought's and how microstake player would think of..

Well as i understand UTG opens 7,5BB preflop which could be pretty standard bet given position since ante is huge compared of BB amount (1/8 BB=12,5%) - which might can justifie huge EP bet! UTG+ flats (Well this is pretty much top heavy range, i really do not belive to see here very often less than KAs+, most likely KK+) imo.

Its actually easy fold preflop given dynamics! Hard to say it but our hand have most likely only set mining value here and even if we hit and there is overcards on board we do not know where we are at postflop. Note that hero have playable stack slightly less than M:20! We can afford to fold!

Furthermore: If i am right here working out the ranges, then we have odds ~25% against their top heavy range! And pot odds are ~30%. Basically we can not be profitable here! imo Math pros fix me if i am wrong :)

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, this is the perfect situation where we have to stay here.

Though his raise is somewhat big, the result pot odds is too irresistible.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my experience when weak players raise preflop really large they have a vulnerable pocket pair and they are afraid of being drawn out on. Usually I've seen them have JJ or TT and sometimes QQ but since we hold JJ, it is a lot less likely.

Was this a standard raise at your table? Or a standard raise from this guy? If it is a standard raise, then I think it's a perfect opportunity to execute a squeeze play and move all in, usually causing the 2nd player to fold. Sometimes the first player will have you crushed but JJ has solid value vs a standard opening range. A lot of folks are raising 88+ and AQ/AK from under the gun.

If this is an odd raise size for him, then I think, honestly we have to just fold here. JJ basically only has set mining value in a 3way pot like this and 1,500 is too much of your 9,000 stack to set mine.

For instance, if he had raised 600 or 700 preflop I would say flat all day long and basically set mine...possibly continue if you have an overpair.