$31.50 NLHE MTT Bounty: Do I shove pre? Or the villain is just a bad player?

K

karylpretty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$31.50 Bounty GGPoker
36/4511 players remaining
33rd is a payjump +$20
I have 66 in the big blind with 6bb + 1bb already in the pot (I have $90 bounty)
HJ opens 2bb with 18bb left. I call.
Flop T84 rainbow.
I shove, he calls with A4 offsuit
River is an Ace. I'm out.

What would you do? Need your decisions.
*villain has no notes,new to table

G

gassstation

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there was such a position among the players, I would wait for the best cards, pocket J, Q, K, A. Position 36/4511 is still live and live, and expect good cards.

K

karylpretty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there was such a position among the players, I would wait for the best cards, pocket J, Q, K, A. Position 36/4511 is still live and live, and expect good cards.

What I meant is 36 players remaining out of 4,511 entries

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
So with 4500 entrants, I assume they payed about 500. So you are well within the money. That said, unless you are close the bubble, you should be jamming anything below about 16bb with any A, any pair, and even suited paint (e.g. KQs). At 6bb with a pocket pair? Yeah, shove that.

Now as for villain, He's kind of on the border with a weak A at 18bb. Probably why he just raised to see what happened. But then when you came over the top, your fold equity at 6bb is not that great. It doesn't kill him to call. Now he has to realize he's way behind A5+ (76/24) or 55+ (70/30)... unless he hits the flop. Which he did. And he has to assume that you did not hit the flop ("It's hard to make a pair"—Antonio Esfandiari). So he may very well think he has you. In fact, at that point, he's got 5 outs and 2 streets (about 23%). But then again, it's only 6bb he's risking.

If I was you, I would have shoved pre. He maybe doesn't call and, therefore, doesn't hit bottom pair.

If I was him, normally I would have shoved pre and hoped that you didn't call. However, with you (and others?) being so short-stacked, you have to assume that there would be the occasional loose call so the fold equity doesn't work as well. Since I (villain) have a better chance of reaching that pay jump than you (and others?), I may have let the weak ace slide and folded without betting or did the min-raise like he did and fold to a shove.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
66 is to strong to fold, when we are this short and facing a HJ open. Even though we wont have fold equity, we need to get it in and hope, we win a "flip" against two overcards, or that we are occationally against a hand, we are ahead of, like the A4o, which the opponent actually had here. We can get it in pre or run a stop-and-go, as hero did in this situation. The outcome would have been the same both ways.

And no the opponent is not a bad player, because he called with bottom pair, when the SPR was less than 1. Hero can be running the "stop-and-go" with any two cards, so bottom pair could easily be ahead, and when its behind, the opponent had equity, and he was getting very good pot odds. So neither player did anything wrong here, and the outcome just is, what it is. Whats much more troubling is, that OP has gotten himself banned from the forum already after posting this hand yesterday. When will people ever learn to respect this community and stop sharing passwords or commit other offenses? :mad::mad::mad: