Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a Live $30 MTT Turbo Rebuy.

The LAG in this hand is a good player with about 20,000 chips when average is about 13,000. I have 14,000 chips and blinds are 200/400.

The LAG had announced a few hands ago that when it was this girl's BB he was going to raise her in the dark. I confirm that he has not looked at his hand and he indeed min raises to 800 from UTG.

it folds to me on the button and I have :js4::10s4: and I raise it up to 2,100. The blinds fold and he laughs and calls me without looking. I have been watching him and definitely know that he has not looked at his hand at any point so far.

flop comes :kh4::jc4::5h4:

he checks while saying "don't bet, then I'll have to look at my hand".

I bet 2,500 into the 4,800 pot. he looks at his hand and then casually throws the chips out to call.

I figure he has at least a Jack or a flush draw or a straight draw.

the turn is the :7s4: and he checks again.

the pot has 9,800 in it and I have 9,400 behind.

What's my next move?

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I confirm that he has not looked at his hand and he indeed min raises to 800 from UTG.

it folds to me on the button and I have :js4::10s4: and I raise it up to 2,100.

You raise when you should flat preflop - your hand has postflop value+positional edge! imo

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You raise when you should flat preflop - your hand has postflop value+positional edge! imo

well, in this case the reason I raised was to get heads up in position vs. an any 2 cards range and the table is limpy/passive so if I just flat then the blinds are likely to come along and now my hand has to actually connect and then hold up in a multiway pot.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, in this case the reason I raised was to get heads up in position vs. an any 2 cards range and the table is limpy/passive so if I just flat then the blinds are likely to come along and now my hand has to actually connect and then hold up in a multiway pot.

Why would we like to get SB and BB out, since we have postflop value hand anyway and we are in position (our stack is average - i will go for postflop play here)! To be honest i will never raise here against opponent who is gambler, but it is not the main reason! Main reason is given dynamics.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The value of a hand like JTs in a 4 way pot is in making a monster like 2 pair or a straight. for instance in a 4 way pot assuming the SB has a top 25% hand to call and the BB has a top 30% hand to call, my equity with JTs is just 28%.

the value of a hand like JTs goes way up heads up vs any any 2 card range I have 56% equity. The point of a move like this is essentially a dead money grab with a playable hand as a backup when you get called.

Trying to play a pot in position with an OK hand is fine, there's nothing wrong with that, but that's not what I was going for. Sometimes you have to make a choice early in a hand if you're going to play a hand passively and try and make a big hand, or play a hand aggressively and take a pot away that you may not deserve. I chose a different strategy for this hand and I'm asking advice about the turn decision, not the preflop decision.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I figure he has at least a Jack or a flush draw or a straight draw.

the turn is the :7s4: and he checks again.

the pot has 9,800 in it and I have 9,400 behind.

What's my next move?

I chose a different strategy for this hand and I'm asking advice about the turn decision, not the preflop decision.

As played:
You really do not know where you are and you have already invested 1/3 your stack i will shove here most of the time! - and hope Jx hold :D imo

Or other possibility is to b/jam whatever.

I will never take that kind of line as you did given situation!

Last edited:
suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against such a maniac blind ATC player if we have taken some kind of risk like you have done here then just go with it and continue the aggression on the turn although he may have checked it cards out on the flop and called but i think we just should not slow down against him now.

Take one more risk and bet. :p

Delvuter

Delvuter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like he is flirting w/ you, your next move is give him twinkly eyes and play footsy and then push. He'll fold after that, just because dudes are funny like that. IMO

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds like he is flirting w/ you, your next move is give him twinkly eyes and play footsy and then push. He'll fold after that, just because dudes are funny like that. IMO

Well, I think you're right. He was flirting with me. I pushed he had K2 and didn't fold. Took my stack then he asked me out. Dudes ARE weird. :rolleyes:

Delvuter

Delvuter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you change your name to mrsjacki I will know how that turned out. Ha!

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
think checking turn is best, i think we fold out alot of his Jx on turn, Don't think we can fold out a Kx as played. any stubborn 5x that called flop will also likely fold. So we only get value from called draws (which might just jam flop on us after looking at his hand) and maybe something like J8 J9 but it's pretty questionably thin value spot. If we are bluffing, he has called the flop so i doubt he's every mucking around here too much really, althought his personality suggests he might do weird things as a bluff more often than your average player.

So i think i check this back and call alot of river bets or just be happy to check it back if he checks also.

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow...that is one unique situation. Hmmm I guess hes flirting with you and in that case probably wants to dump all his chips and rebuy. I probably would always call with a JTs button hand, but in this situation I think u HAVE TO flat here. U 100% know hes calling almost any raise u throw out there cause hes playing like a moron luckbox gambler anyway. So Jack high is not a value hand. Im prolly raising a ton more wide tho, maybe like 20-25% of my hands. The only problem is its going to be a guessing game throughout the hand almost always. Personally that leads to leaks for me. As it was played, if I flopped top pair w anything Im prepared to get it in asap n value betting every street short of a strong read. 2nd pair med kicker is SUCH a tough spot for you here, but I just think u are ahead way more than u are behind n I don't think hes gonna be able to give u any credible info throughout. But damn....... I would almost always say pot control check is right here, but for some strange reason Im leaning towards betting here. Its just a matter of half pot ish or shove. Honestly tho, I guess if Im betting the turn Im in for a pound so Im shoving the turn here... partially for value and partially to at least give him a decision with Kx, x being I guess like less than 8. Lol. Crazy hand tho.

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see ur point, but to me this is with hands more likely to flop top pair or Ax flush draws Im thinking. JT is def close but I think isolating just puts u in too many tough spots post. Not to mention what if one of the blinds comes over the top w almost anything (which by the way would absolutely be the play w any 2 let alone a real hand IMO)? What would u have done in that situation? Id have to figure out the odds, but most likely a fold assuming the moron UTG folds first too.

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I think you're right. He was flirting with me. I pushed he had K2 and didn't fold. Took my stack then he asked me out. Dudes ARE weird. :rolleyes:
FYI I don't read anything past the original post before I give my opinion n then take it from there, so if some of what I say is redundant, that's why. I like to see my play on it and then compare n contrast to the field. IMO u played it as I would have. Im sure he flipped it n the table gasped as u rolled ur eyes. Standard. We have a fun hobby huh?