$3 PL O 6-max: WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE IN THIS SITUATION??????

BadAssOutlaw

BadAssOutlaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Game = $3 unlimited rebuy, Omaha Hi @ Full Tilt.. 98 Total Players (was an early morning game).

This was a HUGE moment in the game for me, the turning point.. Either I was going to be pretty much done or I was going to be chipleader.. It was right after the 1st break, just did the add on and am sitting in decent shape, slightly over average I believe.

Stack Situation at Table:
Seat 1: Erikk88bg (18,720)
Seat 2: Parallelworlds (12,110)
Seat 3: BadAssOutlawX (12,766)
Seat 4: smoofbettor (9,044)
Seat 5: zehnzehn (11,877)
Seat 6: OLENA000 (16,135)

Ok here we go.... Going into the flop, we have 5 players, no raises:

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BadAssOutlawX [4h Jc 8d Js]
BadAssOutlawX calls 200
smoofbettor calls 200
zehnzehn calls 200
OLENA000 folds
Erikk88bg calls 100
Parallelworlds checks

Now check out this action:
*** FLOP *** [7c Jd 9c]
Erikk88bg bets 200
Parallelworlds raises to 1,600
BadAssOutlawX calls 1,600
smoofbettor folds
zehnzehn calls 1,600
Erikk88bg calls 1,400

I flop my trip Jacks.. and with 3 other players staying in, it was obvious that someone had flopped a straight, and then others were either chasing a straight or chasing a flush draw..

NOW, the moment of truth.. What do you do???

*** TURN *** [7c Jd 9c] [Kd]
Erikk88bg checks
Parallelworlds bets 7,400

When I seen him fire out again, I KNEW he was the one with the straight. Other than one person at the table (the one who actually folded in the first place lol), everyone was playing very tight and well up until this point, so you HAD to know that he had something good..

So... If i'm correct on my assumption that he's flopped his straight and that's what he's coming with (or the guy behind me happens to have QT), the only thing that I can hope for is the river pairing the board, so I get a full house or I hit my quads.. Which gives me 10 outs going in to river..

Do you risk your tournament life and make the call?.. By making the call and winning, you become a huge chip leader.. By making the call and losing, you have a couple hundred chips left and are pretty much done...

Let me know what you think.. will post results in a day or two..

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its close call for me,but with the pot size and maybe having 10 outs by pairing the board,I probably call and let as many in the pot as possible,I like to play for the win and the monster stack Id get,it seems worth it to me.My biggest fear is if someone hit pocket kings (making trips)on the turn and drawing to 1 out.Just 1 opionion!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I seen him fire out again, I KNEW he was the one with the straight.

If you know this, you clearly have to fold. Seeing as it's a $3r and it's unraised preflop, villain's range (and the ranges for everyone in the hand) is basically any four cards. If you're sure villain can't be doing this with stuff like a lower set/two pair + draw or just a naked lower set, then fold.

Raise/fold preflop, though.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as DM said, fold or raise preflop, i prefer fold as u have about 60bb and this is a piss poor hand in omaha, ur not even suited

i understand that u want to draw to the boat but it just not a profitable situation when villain can only possible have a str8. and u only have 7 clean outs, not 10 because a K on the river will put the posiblilty of a bigger boat and in these tournies, ppl will call with top 2 pair. also If u count discarded cards u only have about 4 outs. just a -EV situation

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Dorkus,

I am curious if pot odds is important to you in your calculation to fold.
With $14,800 in the pot and a possible 1 to 2 additional callers of the 7400 chips,and then likely callers for his last 3000 if he hits,its seems like he may have odds to chase.I am not doubting your fold,just curious if the pot odds come into your thinking,or you just dont have enough outs to try to take this pot down?

I look forward to your insight on this.Thanks in advance

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First off naked Js in this game with is a sucker hand for those players who just came over from HE. You shouldn't have been in this pot in the first place unless you were the BB. Unraised PF. As Chris says any 4 cards are the range. If you were confident or wanted to make a move you should have raised PF.

Flop comes and you hit your set. But there is a str8 draw and flush draw on the board. Fold to the raise and respect the board. Chasing your boat will lose your chips fast. And if there were that many in the pot someone else could be doing what you were doing and chasing their boat. Fold and wait for a better hand.

If you are going to play pairs make sure you have other draw possibilities. You don't want to rely on your pair unless they are a high pair.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Freak,

I am still learning,as we all are,can you explain why you reduce the outs on unknown cards (cards that you cant know if they are dead or alive)
Thanks

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have one Jack, 3 7s, 3 9s possible for your outs.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this game you don't want to be holding the bottom boat. You don't count the K because one of the other players could very likely hold a pair of Ks. This is why once the flop came with str8 and flush draws and you have 2 or more players still in the game you fold your set. Wait for a better cards. And if it does turn out he hit his boat and it was high then he got very lucky. If his was high with the set it still was the better move to fold.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this game you don't want to be holding the bottom boat. You don't count the K because one of the other players could very likely hold a pair of Ks. This is why once the flop came with str8 and flush draws and you have 2 or more players still in the game you fold your set. Wait for a better cards. And if it does turn out he hit his boat and it was high then he got very lucky. If his was high with the set it still was the better move to fold.

Thanks for the explanation,maybe I will save some chips next time!

aLoser4evR

aLoser4evR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough call but you've already got alot in the pot and you have more outs than just hoping to catch the final J for quads to make the winning hand. Anything from 7, 9, or K's to make boat or 10 that might make a higher straight than him. Gotta take the risk and gamble sometime.

I may be right but don't listen to me limit games aren't my favorite.