$3 NLHE STT: 6max. 3way pot. AQs all-in or fold preflop?

mrdeedreid

mrdeedreid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early in game.
Blinds: 25/50
Stack sizes: roughly equal.

Opponent (Button): figure wide range based on previous limps to see flop. overly aggressive at times. likes pushing players off pots.
(BB): unsure.

Preflop:

UTG fold to Hero.
Hero raises 3x BB.
CO folds.
Button moves all-in.
BB calls.

Shove or fold?

Attachments

• .jpg
    .jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 27
A

Az4zel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me this is an easy fold. I mean one of them most likely has a big pair, so you best case senario you are a slight favorite, or you could be a huge underdog to AA, KK, or QQ. Even AK, you would be a huge underdog. I wouldn't even call this if 1 person shoved on me.

Now i don't know you opponents playing styles or how they have been playing this tournament. Given the blinds are small, 25/50 its early in the tournament. so they could have reraisedm but instead decided there hand was strong enough to shove. probably has AA or KK, or AK, hoping to catch a hand like AQ. Then you have the second player calling. Its an easy fold.

There just aren't too many hands you can beat. I mean would your opponents be shoving with AJ or A10? probably not, and you need a stronger hand to call an allin then to shove, so the second opponent probably has at least JJ or AK, your beat here. I say.
-A

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to fold AQs :)

Still, one of them probably has AK or a big pair.

But if only one of them has a legitimate hand, you are probably not too big a dog, considering the money already in the pot.

But ICM would probably tip the balance to a fold. Close call, in other words. What actually happened?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh, also, i picked this out of your thought process.

"figured a wide range because of previous limps preflop"

If he is one of those players who calls a lot preflop but rarely raises preflop, then you are likely up against a very tight range here from the button. Like, he didn't have to 3bet all in here, he could have just called to see a flop right?

so yeah, just to fix your thought process, the guy is a loose player, but it depends what kind of loose, if he has been raising a ton, then sure we can assume he might be on the looser side with his 3betting range, against guys who limp, there is no evidence to suggest that he will be loose when he 3bets here. just something to watch out for in your own thinking.

mrdeedreid

mrdeedreid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@WiZZiM - He could have called to see a flop. Yes. I think I see what you're saying...

His 3betting postflop tendencies aren't any way correlated with his preflop 3bets. I shouldn't relate the two.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His 3betting postflop tendencies aren't any way correlated with his preflop 3bets. I shouldn't relate the two.
It's a relatively soft read, but in the absence of info indicating otherwise, I'd assume someone who 3bets aggressively pre- is also aggressive post-flop.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I should be the one doing the shoving.
Ill fold. :)

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its good that you are thinking about it but what kind of hands do you think you are ahead of here? And remember its 3-way with fairly even stacks so you have to beat 2 people when you are almost never ahead.

mrdeedreid

mrdeedreid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Appreciate all the replies. It's clear what the right move is for this particular sit. Thanks everyone.

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me this is an easy fold. ........ huge underdog to AA, KK, or QQ. Even AK, you would be a huge underdog.

My sentiment exactly...At this early in the tournament I don't see a need to risk the tournament life at this spot.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold.

most likely you are facing a mid to big pair, and another ace. So, you'd hope to be flipping at best; except some of your outs are probably dead and so you're not really "flipping"

Sometimes you'll be facing 2 underpairs and be really live and flipping with good odds...but that will be very rare indeed.

Often you'll be facing a pair and AK and you're drawing really slim. Like really, really slim.

Very occasionally you'll be facing 2 premium pairs and you're drawing nearly dead.

Factor ICM into all that, and I think it's a pretty clear fold. I won't say EASY fold...but I'll say "clear" once you weigh all the evidence.

Use the beauty of the button to take in and process all this info and make a tight, (but right) fold.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heat's too much in that kitchen. I'm outta there ;)

Folding in Poker