$3 NLHE: Should I have played this hand differently?

N

Nadi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$3 NL HE: Should I have played this hand differently?

*********** # 56 **************
pokerstars Game #25990694474: Tournament #137165624, $3.00+$0.30 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2009/03/15 13:40:35 ET
Table '137165624 4' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: dj13 (1710 in chips)
Seat 2: bryan24 (1480 in chips)
Seat 3: DREW0 (1650 in chips)
Seat 4: Kenzie96 (1400 in chips)
Seat 5: ()-Unit A-() (1660 in chips)
Seat 6: kozlo6pack (1440 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 7: nadi26 (1220 in chips)
Seat 8: tertip (1440 in chips) is sitting out
Kenzie96: posts small blind 10
()-Unit A-(): posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to nadi26 [9s Ts]
kozlo6pack: folds
nadi26: calls 20
tertip: folds
Kenzie96 said, "what was the point of makin it then"
dj13: raises 60 to 80
bryan24: folds
DREW0: folds
Kenzie96: raises 60 to 140
kozlo6pack has returned
()-Unit A-(): folds
nadi26: calls 120
kozlo6pack said, "Good day all"
dj13: calls 60
*** FLOP *** [Td 9d As]
dj13 said, "yeah!"
Kenzie96: checks
nadi26: bets 220
dj13: calls 220
Kenzie96 said, "wow talk about nekkid women & Koz shows up"
Kenzie96: calls 220
*** TURN *** [Td 9d As] 5♣
Kenzie96: checks
dj13 said, "psychic"
nadi26: bets 860 and is all-in
kozlo6pack said, "LOL"
dj13 said, "I got ze damn good kicker"
dj13: folds
Kenzie96 said, "yeah me too"
Kenzie96: folds
Uncalled bet (860) returned to nadi26
nadi26 collected 1100 from pot
nadi26: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1100 | Rake 0
Board [Td 9d As 5c]
Seat 1: dj13 folded on the Turn
Seat 2: bryan24 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: DREW0 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Kenzie96 (small blind) folded on the Turn
Seat 5: ()-Unit A-() (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: kozlo6pack folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: nadi26 collected (1100)
Seat 8: tertip folded before Flop (didn't bet)

thx in advance :)

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do you make it 220 on the flop? Do you want them to belive you are on a draw? If so, maybe check the turn, bigger risk, but chance to win bigger pot.
The alternative would be to bet bigger on the flop, they will likely pay you off if you bid around 400 there.

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely get rid of this preflop. There is a time and a place for suited connectors but here is really not it. Our stack is already dwindling and limping UTG is a sure way to give away more chips. With so many people to act behind us we are asking for trouble. What we want with these hands is a cascade effect and us to go to the flop multi-way. Usually the best way to do this however is to limp after a few original limpers. Open-limping here just leaves us open to a raise and in bad position on the flop.

I would prefer raising this hand from where we are at the table actually, to take control of the hand and to hide our hand if we hit, like we do here. That would at least give us some impetus in the hand. Generally though, raising and limping these hands in EP with the blinds so low is giving away chips. There is no value in stealing as it is so little of our stack but we miss the vast majority of flops.

However, the limp isn't hopeless providing if there is a raise we get rid of the hand. Here, however, there has been a raise and then a reraise! That is not what we are looking for with T9 and being completely OOP and with dj to still act behind, who could raise again to an amount we can't call, we just have to fold. It has got to the stage where we are putting 1/10th of our stack in preflop against two people showing big strength with T9s. We are crushed evertime here.

On the flop I quite like the play. We haven't slowplayed, which is good as we aren't strong enough, and we have massaged the pot nicely to get all-in with a pot sizeish bet on the turn.

It worked out well this time but don't be results orientated. Imagine if the flop was T83 and we got it all in with top pair then we would see AT or AA, KK, QQ and JJ an awful lot of the time. Or if it came AJ8 and we got it in and didn't hit the straight and got knocked out because we played T9. The hand is simply not strong enough to risk so much of our stack.

M

mecoble

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont mind calling a raise with those hand, a raise and reraise ur gonna burn thru ur chips, dont mind how u played post flop, i dont agree with other poster about betting more than what u did on flop cause with less than 860 on turn theyll be committed to call only other thing u can do is all in on flop

spore

spore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like everyone else has said already. Cold-calling the 3-bet preflop with T9s is bad, especially because you are the shortstack. We need to be conserving our chips for premium hands.

That said it was a nice flop for us. The flop bet was a bit weak IMO. We don't have time screw around with this pot.. if we let someone with AK/AQ draw to two pair we are getting busted, as well as the possible flush draw (Ax-suited) maybe straight+flush draw here (KQs). The turn helps nobody and you push all-in. Only thing calling you here is a set/two pair/straight+flush draw, none of which you want to be up against in this situation.

Bet the flop a bit more, then you potentially can shove on the turn and get paid off. As played, check the turn and shove it on the river.

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U got lucky but that was horrible play from u this hand definitely gets folded preflop in your situation....especially when it gets raised

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pre-flop fold. there's a raise and reraise. you can't know for sure calling ends the action. the first raiser may raise again then what? if by calling you would close the betting then maybe w/odds, reads...you could call. but here you don't know for sure your call ends the betting. on the flop if i did my math right there's 430 in the pot. i would make the bet atleast the size of the pot. one to protect my hand if the 1st guy calls the 2nd guy is only getting 2 to 1 to chase a draw. two there's more than one player in the hand so the larger pot sized bet is more likely to get paid off. remember there was a raise and reraise so someone is likely to have a big ace let them pay. on the turn i think you made the right play.the pots big enough to take down. you can't give a free card for a draw to beat you. weaker hands may call eg big aces. maybe even someone chasing a flush draw will call. will better hands fold eg higher two pair or a set, no but there lots more hands that you beat that may call. so i think the all-in on the turn was good. just dump most hands to a raise then reraise pre-flop. unless this is the norm for the table, but even then play tighter. good luck.

Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands