cjay142

cjay142

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$3 NL HE Rebuy: 66 on button facing min raise from CO

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 30/11/1

So i'm in the mid/late stages of the 3R donkament, about 150 left, 90 money. Table image is TAG but i doubt most of the table notices because theyre mainly stations with no concept of stack size.

MP3 is pretty stationish 30/11/1. His attempt steal is 80 and fold to 3b 100. He's tried to steal a few times the last few orbits, mainly from button and small blind, every time hes min raised and been 3b and has timed out while "thinking" so i think he might be a little tilted.

--------------------
HAND #1
--------------------

Full Tilt, 600/1,200 blinds, 150 ante NL Hold'em Tourney, 8 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

UTG+2: 19,022 (15.9 bb)
MP1: 30,412 (25.3 bb)
MP2: 21,270 (17.7 bb)
MP3: 62,782 (52.3 bb)
Hero (BTN): 34,095 (28.4 bb)
SB: 42,115 (35.1 bb)
BB: 66,789 (55.7 bb)
CO: 28,319 (23.6 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is BTN with 6
club.gif
diamond.gif

4 folds, MP3 raises to 2,400, Hero ... ?

So do I flat or 3b? Also if I do 3b am I folding to a 4b or shoving?

SydTheCat

SydTheCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely. His min bet is probally a weak attempt to steal the pot...or it could be a big hand!
You'll find out soon enough if he responds with a 4bet. If he does call, you have position, so a c-bet would be an automatic if he checks the flop. IMO.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would flat.

Do you want to open yourself up to a 4-bet? (guy above here seems to want to???).

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMHO fold>call>3-bet here. You have 2 players to act after you, if you call or 3-bet here a thinking player in SB or BB may squeeze you both and to that you'd have to fold. Stats on the SB & BB would help here.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably the worst mistake even solid tournament players consistently make is overplaying small pocket pairs. This is not a cash game where you each have more than 100 BBs.

This should be folded. The problem with playing small pocket pairs against a steal is that even if they're stealing, you're rarely ahead more than 52% and your hand is virtually unplayable postflop as you are drawing to 2 outs. You can try to pick off a cbet, but if he double barrels on a 9832 board, what are you going to do?

The other problem with playing 66 here is that you don't have set odds. Playing small pocket pairs for 7% of your stack is borderline. Because he's stealing so often, even if you hit a set, he rarely has enough of a hand to want to get it all in. If he were raising UTG, it might be a different story. He's not very aggressive and although you call him a station, it also sounds like he knows when to fold when he's beat.

Getting squeezed by the blinds is a disaster, too. If you were in the blinds, I could see 3-betting for a go-and-go.

cjay142

cjay142

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO fold>call>3-bet here. You have 2 players to act after you, if you call or 3-bet here a thinking player in SB or BB may squeeze you both and to that you'd have to fold. Stats on the SB & BB would help here.

Unfortunately I have no recollection of this hand whatsoever and don't remember the guys in blinds.

Getting squeezed by the blinds wasn't really even in my thoughts at the time, although it obviously should be, guess I should work on fixing that leak.

Probably the worst mistake even solid tournament players consistently make is overplaying small pocket pairs. This is not a cash game where you each have more than 100 BBs.

This should be folded.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I get a little over-aggro w/ hands like these even when I have a sizeable stack.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean I don't think it's a HUGE mistake in this spot but if you go through the math you will see it can't be a very profitable play.

Figure you will get 3-bet by one of the blinds maybe 10-15% of the time, depending how aggro they are, and you have to fold.

You'll face a cbet on a board you can't continue on probablyat least 70% of the time.

You'll hit a set on the flop 1 in 8 times...but in the vast majority of those cases, because the CO doesn't have a hand, you win a cbet and that's it.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pretty sure its 3b > fold > call given that it's ante period and villain folds to 3bets and steals a lot

cjay142

cjay142

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i guess its time to post results lol, i 3b then called villains shove, he showed up AQc and i lost the race. no worries i shipped it the next day haha. thanks for insight all