Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played in non hud poker site.

No specific reads, unknown opponent.

The villain has 60BB.
My stack 35BB
By that, I think this player is a regular, not too good, but not bad either.
82 players left, paid places start from 24.
Re-buy is over, no late registration anymore.

5-max table.

Opponent bets from CO 2x BB. Everybody else folds, I call with KJ clubs on Big Blind.

Flop comes 5c As 10c.
Strong flop for me, I know the opponent is a regular, he will make cBet, so check-raise is my plan, opponent bets 2/3 of the pot. By big bet size, I think he won't have a very strong hand, otherwise, he will try to build a pot, but there is also that straight/flush draw, so not very strong read. I made my check-raise almost 3x his bet, he called.

The turn card was Td. Pot is the same size as my stack. There is not a lot of room, I have invested so much, so I will use this as a scare card, still hoping I will complete my straight or flush with the River card, so I went all-in, the main purpose to get him to fold his Ace
with weak kicker, or get him to call and I will complete my draw and double my stack.
So, he called and showed Ace and T, full house, damn.

So, would you play this hand differently? How? :confused:

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Defending BB with KJs is definitely fine, sometimes, you can throw in a re-raise from that spot, simply cause its 5max and the opening ranges should be rather wide.

Flop is fine once again, you wanted to check-raise, same reasons as before, wide opening ranges, CO should c-bet most flops when it is checked to him.
However, once he called flop raise, you pretty much can narrow his range to at least Ax.

If the board paired, it's less intimidating to call a turn raise for CO so shoving like that really won't get him off his hand. Sometimes, once in a while, Villain will fold a very weak Ax but not as a general rule.

Also, if I calculated correctly, pot was 4.5bbs on the flop, on the turn it was 22.5bbs and you are left with around 22bbs yourself. If you want to make the pot big enough to prepare it for a shove, I'd suggest making that raise slightly bigger on the flop.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I 've been in that kind of situation many, many times and I don't behave always the same way haha.
I guess depends on my mood and my psychology on the spot.
I always find these spots pretty tough, especially when the opponent resists.
I know that aggression is good so I try to play like you played it here but really sucks when I miss.
Well at least we have our chances, but still it's a semi-bluff and a risky way to follow especially if we are deep.
Other times I just call a bet on flop and if the turn is cheap enough and gives me the right odds I call that too and if I hit I check with the intention to raise/shove any possible bet.
If I have open ended straight plus flush draw I 'm always trying to put all the chips in.

Here your play is pretty standard. The very aggressive high risk high reward way, which is what we know as the standard in such situations, from strategy sites, videos, personal experience, etc.
You could check/call and take the conservative way, sometimes it's not bad too.
But gg, unfortunately you fell on a brick wall drawing dead.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In 100BB poker you can sometimes get people off top pair on the turn with a line like this, and if they call, you have implied odds on the river, when you complete your draw. In 35BB poker on the other hand people are typically going with top pair, so you have much less fold equity. Obviously running into a boat is the worst case, but he will also snap you with his AK, AQ, AJ, and you will get your chips in as a 3:1 dog. For that reason I think, most professional tournament players would play your hand as a check-call on the flop.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah as I 'm thinking on it again, I believe is better to check call mainly because of the Ace and take the aggressive way when the flop has no Ace. Maybe.. damn tough spots xD

Full Flush Poker