$3.50 NLHE STT: Facing check-raise tptk early game

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was the second hand so no reads. I was guessing he hit a set. Think I should fold or get it in?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (10 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO (t1500)
Hero (Button) (t1485)
SB (t1545)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
UTG+2 (t1470)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)

Hero's M: 33.00

Preflop: Hero is Button with A
heart.gif
, K
spade.gif

2 folds, UTG+2 calls t30, 4 folds, Hero bets t120, 2 folds, UTG+2 calls t90

Flop: (t285) A
club.gif
, 4
club.gif
, 7
spade.gif
(2 players)
UTG+2 checks, Hero bets t240, UTG+2 raises to t720, Hero folds

Total pot: t765

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't fold imo, just as likely to be AQ/AJ as it is to be a set.

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would aq, aj normally limp? Limping makes me suspect a small -mid pocket pair.

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't know, against someone who plays this passively pf I think I can find a fold in this spot.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm all for folding TPTK early game with a good reason. I see no reason here. The flop couldn't be better for you. If you're not getting it in here there's not a lot of point playing it in the first place.
In a $3 SNG just as likely to be Ax than a set or even a flush draw.

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know people limp/call all kinds of crap at these stakes, but how many of those are capable of such a strong move on the flop without at least two pair? I would be much more comfortable calling a shove, or shoving over a min-raise.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove and be very happy to see him put the rest of his stack in. Whilst i agree "Bigthing" that not many will pull this move without SOMETHING, he could easily be overvaluing a weaker TP hand, semi-bluffs are still common, or even a weaker pair like jacks that he couldn't let go postflop. Of course it's possible that he could be playing sets and two pair this way, but it's also somewhat likely villians at this level would also slowplay that hand too.

Overall, without a read we have to just play solid poker. Getting our chips in with TPTK in this spot overall, against unknown villians at the $3.50's is most definately going to show a profit in the long run.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate these sort of spots.

The main reason for this, is people don't "think" at these levels. They don't think about kickers or what you could be raising with and if you're a thinker which I guess you are and put people on hands etc when someone shoves you like this, I try to think from what i'd be doing if I was in his postion..

Now, these fookers think their A,rag is good as they hit top pair and don't take kicker into the equation. Also, I think "they could have a set here" but then you fold and find they had a worse Ace and you feel a right donk.

It's so very hard when this happens I find, as he plays it like a set with the flush draw out there but again you don't know if this guy thinks "I have an Ace, it's the best hand!"

Also at this stage, it's horrible getting it in to find out you're up against a set or two pair, but you hate folding. Terrible spots to be in as you don't know what they are thinking. Most people here like me would think "Ok, he has TPTK - my A,x or A,10 is no good - fold" but these guys don't.

To be honest though, I prefere the fold based on the reasons that at these limits, people will often call A,7/A,4 hands etc. I'd much rather wait for a much better spot where you are sure you're big favorite and still have a lot of play left. Sure a double up is good here, but not "crucial" and not one to put your tournament life on the line.

Of course I don't mind the call here either, it's just a horrible spot I hate being in too. Later on with higher blinds, it's such an easy call but early stages you really have to know if your player is a fish or not and thinkings A,x is good here.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, it's a $3.50 and you have no reads, so you can't just ignore them imo.

Do you raise then with A,Q/A,J if you are faced with a bet preflop just to see where you're at?

Interesting to know actually. I usually flat in position with A,Q/A,J for example but will sometimes flat or raise depending on the person out of position with these hands.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sample size of 2 hands = no real reads apart from villian having limp/folded the first hand, too.

At this level the EP limping range (obv depending on villain) could be stuff like

22-99, 98s-A9s, J9o-A10o (that's what I observe all day).

Given that your standard btn raise (3BB+1BB/limper) leaves villain unphazed and he calls and check-raises a 2-toned A high flop makes myself ask:
  • If he has set/2pair/TPGK why doesn't villain lead out against a possible FD - ?
I see this kind of move (c/r semibluff FDs) quite often lately - usually as shove though.

I would have jammed there.

Last edited:
ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with everyone saying jam. Villain's range is made up of many flush draws (including 7cXc) and weaker aces and we're very rarely behind. If he is really bad he could have 56 here aswell.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest though, I prefere the fold based on the reasons that at these limits, people will often call A,7/A,4 hands etc. I'd much rather wait for a much better spot where you are sure you're big favorite and still have a lot of play left. Sure a double up is good here, but not "crucial" and not one to put your tournament life on the line.

If they are bad enough to call OOP with Ax they are bad enough to c/r an A high flop. Therefore their c/r range is Ax and of them combo's A7 and A4 are like 10% of Ax.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To an extent I'm with Bigthing on this one - villain's bet sizing is odd and I'd be much happier if they'd either shoved or minraised. This feels a little bit too valuey.

That said the fact villain has bet more than half his stack rather than shoving suggests we're still dealing with someone fishy and I see no reason not to shove over the top expecting calls from plenty of worse hands.

Top 10 Games