$3.50 NLHE STT: AA in early SNG - how would you play?

vegasjj

vegasjj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$3.50 NLHE STT: AA in early SNG - how would you play?

Would love to get some input as to how you would suggest to play this AA.
Or it is just one where this is how the cookie crumbles.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

MP3 (t1160)
CO (t1490)
Button (t1740)
SB (t1480)
Hero (BB) (t1500)
UTG (t1630)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)

Hero's M: 50.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with A
club.gif
, A
spade.gif

4 folds, MP3 calls t20, 1 fold, Button calls t20, 1 fold, Hero bets t100, MP3 calls t80, Button calls t80

Flop: (t310) 3
diamond.gif
, 5
heart.gif
, 2
heart.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets t155, MP3 calls t155, Button calls t155

Turn: (t775) 8
club.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets t387, 1 fold, Button calls t387

River: (t1549) 2
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t858 (All-In), Button calls t858

Total pot: t3265

Results:
Button had 4
spade.gif
, 2
club.gif
(three of a kind, twos).
Hero had A
club.gif
, A
spade.gif
(two pair, Aces and twos).
Outcome: Button won t3265

Last edited:
Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Barring reads since it's really early I'd do this:

Bet more preflop (~150)

Bet more on flop (~pot)

Shove turn.

On river you usually don't get called by worse except maybe overpairs like 99/1010 (JJ+ usually doesn't limp/call pre).

vegasjj

vegasjj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Typically early in a sng/mtt I hate to put my tourney life at risk real early.. I much prefer to win smaller pots.
Is my general approach correct?

M

MiddlePair

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you just got unlucky but a bigger bet preflop woulda given you the small pot right then and there.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Typically early in a sng/mtt I hate to put my tourney life at risk real early.. I much prefer to win smaller pots.

I don't mind risking my tourney life early.... if I get sucked out on it doesn't matter since I'm in several games at the same time and just jump-start the next one.

There's no point in getting min-value if I have the chance to double up early given that the opponents with weak ranges (like the one in th HH) usually get weeded out pretty early - why shouldn't I take him out ?

I think you just got unlucky but a bigger bet preflop woulda given you the small pot right then and there.

You'd be amazed about how often bigger preflop raises still get called by weak holdings.

Most of these guys will stay in after they have made their mind up to play their J8s or whatever.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
'Nice hand' I think you played it fine (actually don't really see the point of posting it to be honest).

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Is that what we want with 'AA' in a STT-SNG? Get dealt AA & pick up 50chips? I would think 'not'.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't mind the raise, the only thing i would of done was bet the pot on the flop, would be betting the pot or shoving it on the turn.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pre's fine, more on the flop and turn imo given the board texture since he has loads of hands like this which are pair + gutshot that might not pay you off on the river unless they're super retarded.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No bet post flop would have scared off villain here. If he was willing to call pre, and got that flop, he was gonna chase till hell froze over.

Pot it on the flop tho.

vegasjj

vegasjj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for taking time to post. I am in such a "low" get bad beat feels like everywhere - that I really question my play - so this helps - the "low" will, it will pass.

Knowing most of you did not fault my play too much, is encouragement - thanks.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Looks like you've got selective reading syndrome. I believe there's a couple of members who said 'nh' (meaning you played it fine).

PokerJudas

PokerJudas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought you played it nice and didn`t go crazy because of the potential draws on the flop. However, I would raise it to 150 (at least) preflop to build pot and try to get the worst donkeys out. Most people who already have put any money in here preflop wont get off j-10 suited anyway if you raise it to 150 at this stage of the game.

Anyway, well done !

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If anyone at this table has shoved all in in the first few hands of this SnG, a case can be made to shove pre. Knowing how STT's play is important, and when you get monsters at a maniacal table, IMO the right move is to take advantage of the situation.

From the HH it appears you have 2 calling stations (or potentially calling stations sitting there), and seemingly willing to mix it up.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't agree with people not wanting to risk their tourney life early. Just reg for another one if you bust. If I was a tourist playing wsop ME I might care about it but all you should care about is optimal play, busting doesn't really matter. Not even sure I've ever seen the term tourney life used in a SnG.

As for hand I probably play it same, maybe slightly bigger some on some streets post.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really don't agree with people not wanting to risk their tourney life early. Just reg for another one if you bust. If I was a tourist playing WSOP ME I might care about it but all you should care about is optimal play, busting doesn't really matter. Not even sure I've ever seen the term tourney life used in a SnG.

As for hand I probably play it same, maybe slightly bigger some on some streets post.

+1, plus the tourney life theory is generally bad anyway, and only really applies to spots where we have a really marginal edge. not AA v super wide ranges.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you all for taking time to post. I am in such a "low" get bad beat feels like everywhere - that I really question my play - so this helps - the "low" will, it will pass.

The bad beats will pass.
And when i started playing SNG's, you played the hand the same way i would of done.

Looks like you've got selective reading syndrome.
^^This, i used to do it alot, but now not so much.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As everyone says it looks fine the way you played it I really don't think you are getting that guy off the hand considering how he played it pre so I wouldn't sweat it too much. I would however tried to get it in by the turn and at least that way the cards are face up when he sucks out on the river with out proper odds and then of course I would test Pokerstars to see what it takes to get a chat ban. :D

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
and then of course I would test Pokerstars to see what it takes to get a chat ban. :D
Sometimes not so much, lol. I'm on a 30-day ban right now... all I said was 'fck u' in the chat & only said it once, lol. (& is exactly how I wrote it)

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop is fine, bet more on the flop then shove the turn. Just unlucky.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I'd overbet the pot on the flop, so many straight/flush draws on the board you wanna try and push those away. I'd probably shove the turn as well.

Still unlucky though. Can't believe somebody called that raise preflop with 42

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you wanna try and push those away

Exactly not this.... we rather want them to call with inappropiate odds.

The more we bet the more value we'll get since villain obviously will miss more often than not.