$3.50 NLHE MTT Turbo: Did I play this hand correctly?

T

tomasdig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, me again.

This is another 45 player sitngo, very first hand of the tourney so I don't have any stats on the players.

pokerstars - 10/20 Ante 3 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

BTN: 1,500 (75 bb)
Hero (SB): 1,500 (75 bb)
BB: 1,500 (75 bb)
UTG: 1,500 (75 bb)
UTG+1: 1,500 (75 bb)
MP: 1,500 (75 bb)
MP+1: 1,500 (75 bb)
MP+2: 1,500 (75 bb)
CO: 1,500 (75 bb)

9 players post ante of 3, Hero posts SB 10, BB posts 20

Pre Flop: (pot: 57) Hero has :9s4: :9h4:
UTG calls 20, fold, MP calls 20, fold, MP+2 calls 20, 2 folds, Hero raises to 140, 2 folds, MP calls 120, fold

Flop: (367, 2 players) :4s4: :7s4: :5s4:
Hero bets 242, MP calls 242

Turn: (851, 2 players) :8h4:
Hero bets 1,115 and is all-in, MP calls 1,115 and is all-in

River: (3,081, 2 players) :8s4:

Results: 3,081 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :4s4: :7s4: :5s4: :8h4: :8s4:

Hero shows :9s4: :9h4:: (Flush, Nine High)
(Pre 55%, Flop 51%, Turn 70%)

MP shows :kh4: :10s4:: (Flush, Ten High)
(Pre 45%, Flop 49%, Turn 30%)

MP wins 3,081

I believe my re-raise pre is well sized, since I had a lot a limpers behind. On the flop, I'm almost certain my hand is best and the turn gives me outs to a straight in case I was against some sort of weird 2 pair or set. Plus I have the 9s.

I guess I could've bet a bit less on the turn, maybe? But I'm almost certain here I'm against a higher spade so I don't want to bet too little and be pot commited anyway.

Thoughts?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Fine with isolating this hand even out of position, and also fine with the size. You pick up one caller, which is the second best outcome after picking it up. Looks good so far.

Flop
This is not a great flop for 99. The made hands, that will continue, are often going to have 99 beat, and if he has some kind of draw, you are not even ahead of that on the flop. It does help a little bit to have 9s, but if you make a flush, you still have no idea, where you are. So your goal here should definitely be to try and get to showdown as cheaply as possible. You can do that by either check-calling or putting out a small blocker bet like 1/3 pot. Definitely not more than 1/2 pot.

Turn
This was a bad card for you, because now there is also a 1-liner to a straight. You cant bet without committing yourself to the pot, so checking is definitely the right play now, and probably its a check-fold, if he put out a substantial bet. When you overbet jam, you should only get action from better hands, so you are turning your hand into a value bluff, which is really bad. It turns out you did actually get action from worse, because he was a huge fish and could not fold his silly draw. But you did not have that information, before the hand started.

Results
So he got there on the end, which of course does not matter. I think, the main point, you should take away from this, is, that its ok to check-fold, when you are out of position with a marginal made hand and/or a bad draw. Maybe you get bluffed sometimes, but you survive in the tournament, and you should be able to find better spots later.

T

tomasdig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not and ideal flop, but I don't think it's necessarily awful either. If I put him on a range of most spades except for the very best and the very worst ones (say from 54s all the way to even ATs, which I don't know that he'll open-limp with, but you never know), a few small offsuited connectors and one-gappers, some A3o-A9o, small and medium pairs 44-TT and some random offsuit broadway cards, I have ~70% equity here. I don't see him limping in from MP and then calling a 7x raise with a lot of junky offsuited hands like 7-4 or 6-3.

That said, I see your point in pot controlling on a board that can be very dangerous for my hand.

As for the turn, as I said, I didn't put him on that many 6x since he limped in from MP. But still checking makes sense. I just didn't want to give him a free card. I overbet jam to get called by hands like A8 or maybe two overcards with one spade.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I agree with fundiver199 mostly.

P: iso smaller to 120, but 140 fine.

F: horrible flop, but we have to cbet anything from 50-67% of pot, I would cbet 67% to charge draws, ie give them incorrect odds to call, give them the opportunity to make mathematical errors, which will add up in the long run to make you a winner.

T: we have to slow down, MP is a massive fish (limp/call pre vs huge iso) and these types don't like folding, so no reason to bet. Plan is to check/call vs a micro bet (which sometimes happens) and play to see a cheap showdown, anything else and it's check/fold. Cut your losses and try to survive and rebuild. Blocker 9s isn't as useful in tournaments as in cash.

Any bet commits us, we're OOP in a big pot, the board sucks, etc etc. Even if we hit our flush, 9-high flush can't stand vs heavy action.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I think you played this hand very well. You got it in good on the turn and villian got lucky. Most the time you will win this hand.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You got very unlucky vs a fish who was chasing a 1 card 10 high flush draw.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like how you played the hand.
The raise preflop seems ok.
The flop is not great, but not that bad for 99, most of the times there will be at least an overcard. I think you should bet the flop for protection: you are only in bad shape against a made flush, else you are not that bad, if he has a set or doubles, you have decent chances to improve. If he has a straight he’s likely pushing all in on the flop. We can be pretty sure he hasn’t got overpairs since he limpped pre, and called your raise.
Now you need to protect your hand against flush draws, straight draws or some kind of pair that can improve, I like the size of the bet.
The turn is a bad card since any 6 made a straight. If you bet, you pot commit yourself, so pushing seems fine. You can also check, but what are you going to do if he jams? I think all draws are going to semibluff all in if you bet. I think you can have some fold equity, and if you get called by doubles, you still have outs. I don’t mind betting all in. This guy could very well be a fish since he limped from MP.
I don’t see any mistake, at least from my perspective.

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like it, you kept the flow of the hand, kept the betting lead, and with the ackward stack OTT, the jam looks good.

and keep tabs on the player as you found a player willing to stack off chasing draws - though what is this the first hand of the game (im not calling off chasing Ten high flush here)

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After 3 limpets Im set mining 99 and would feel pretty good about jamming over a squeeze bettor and perhaps a weak limp caller.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands