$3.5 NLHE STT: Good Call or Bad Call?

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars, $3.11 Buy-in (100/200 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 3 Players

BTN: 1,160 (5.8 bb)
SB: 10,105 (50.5 bb)
Hero (BB): 2,235 (11.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T
club4.gif
J
spade4.gif

BTN raises to 1,160 and is all-in, SB folds, Hero calls 960

Flop: (2,420) A
heart4.gif
club4.gif
Q
spade4.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)
Turn: (2,420) 7
diamond4.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)
River: (2,420) Q
club4.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: 2,420 pot
Final Board: A
heart4.gif
club4.gif
Q
spade4.gif
diamond4.gif
Q
club4.gif

BTN showed A
diamond4.gif
J
diamond4.gif
and won 2,420 (1,260 net)
Hero showed T
club4.gif
J
spade4.gif
and lost (-1,160 net)

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad call - you could legitimately shove with that but not call. I understand he could be shoving with ATC there but at the same time it's just too easy for him to have an A, K, or Q. Let him take your blind and get it back on the next go.

Yes, you need to be aggressive here, but be the initiator of that aggression.
You have an ally there in the big stack to help get rid of this guy and wrap up at least 2nd place money and to make a run at getting even and over taking him (it can be done) - but that was not a good spot. Him taking your blind would not change anything - he makes the huge leap up to having 7 BB and also inherits the BB - he's still chasing you.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad call - you could legitimately shove with that but not call. I understand he could be shoving with ATC there but at the same time it's just too easy for him to have an A, K, or Q. Let him take your blind and get it back on the next go.

Yes, you need to be aggressive here, but be the initiator of that aggression.
You have an ally there in the big stack to help get rid of this guy and wrap up at least 2nd place money and to make a run at getting even and over taking him (it can be done) - but that was not a good spot. Him taking your blind would not change anything - he makes the huge leap up to having 7 BB and also inherits the BB - he's still chasing you.
This, BLITZ tells it right.
It's a very bad call.
I would also be shoving with it, but not calling an all-in with JT.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not a very bad call at all.

Reads on villain? Tight? Loose? If he's doing this wide snap call. If he's tight fold but it's fairly close.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Reads on villain? Tight? Loose? If he's doing this wide snap call. If he's tight fold but it's fairly close.

Not very bad - just regular bad

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not very bad - just regular bad
Need like 39-40% equity.

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt
9,266,989,248 games 0.002 secs 4,633,494,624,000 games/sec
Board:
Dead:
equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 59.545% 58.08% 01.47% 5382095436 135957552.00 { 22+, A2s+, K2s+, Q8s+, J9s+, T9s, 98s, A2o+, K4o+, QTo+, JTo }
Hand 1: 40.455% 38.99% 01.47% 3612978708 135957552.00 { JTo }

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't get me wrong - I am not saying there is no way in hell you should ever call here - I have more than once. But as presented - Good or Bad - Black or White - I am going with bad.

We come back to there are a more factors involved than just the cards and the math but an undetailed question will get an undetailed answer.

As you PS shows - this hand is very close to meh. Nothing to write home about. I sure couldn't beat the guy up if he called - but would have a lot of questions regarding some other factors.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea it's close but at 5.8bb you don't turn down any edge. Obv if villains tight it pushes it towards a fold. To just state it's bad is wrong.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't help but wonder if this is 6H or FT. If I think he's pushing a range resembling ATC, it seems like I should be more inclined to call with JT if I'm already in the money.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea it's close but at 5.8bb you don't turn down any edge. Obv if villains tight it pushes it towards a fold. To just state it's bad is wrong.

Yeah, I can't really disagree - I guess I'm in a mood responding to a black and white question about a game that is all about the shades of grey. There is so much more information that is missing it would actually be wrong to just blindly state good or bad. Sorry OP

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't help but wonder if this is 6H or FT. If I think he's pushing a range resembling ATC, it seems like I should be more inclined to call with JT if I'm already in the money.

If range is ATC, you have odds, However given most villains aren't pushing that wide here, I let it go.

As stated above, normal bad not terri-bad.

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all your comments. I thought also it was a bad call, but the player was very loose so that gave me a little more equity. Still now I see it as a bad call.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If villain has a wide range here it isn't a bad call.

z28_RoadRage

z28_RoadRage

Road Warrior
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have let it go.... I'm just surprised the chip leader didn't push with ATC seeing as it's less than 10% of his stack and for sure would of had your dead money in the pot.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Need like 39-40% equity.

39.6% actually ;)

I can't help but wonder if this is 6H or FT.

Any SNG (STT) players will clearly recognize that total chips add up to 13,500 (which makes it ITM - 9man)

Because we're basically battling for 2nd spot here, I probably fold (but it's close). Also depends on my reads of both of the other players. (& if blinds go up right away, antes in play,..).

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would have let it go.... I'm just surprised the chip leader didn't push with ATC seeing as it's less than 10% of his stack and for sure would of had your dead money in the pot.
Maybe he benefits more by keeping SS in?
He'd be way better off to be just open-shoving atc into HERO

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all your comments. I thought also it was a bad call, but the player was very loose so that gave me a little more equity. Still now I see it as a bad call.
Well now this is new information - I would probably call on a guy like that.