$3.40 NLHE STT Turbo: SB with AJ and 7 BB to a button raise.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 15/11/45

buttons stats over 342 hands.
ok This isnt really about me, since I clearly have to get it in here, but about the button. What kind of hand does the button need to not fold here? My initial reaction was that it was a horrible play but looking at it again I am not sure and was just wondering what others thought.

also although the flat by the BB screams donk his stats were 19/14/38 over just 42 hands but I don't recall him doing anything dumb before this hand.

poker stars $3.00+$0.40 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t100/t200 Blinds + t25 - 5 players - View hand 1005766
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: t2840 M = 6.68
Hero (SB): t1520 M = 3.58
BB: t2730 M = 6.42
UTG: t5770 M = 13.58
CO: t2140 M = 5.04

Pre Flop: (t425) Hero is SB with J A
2 folds, BTN raises to t600, Hero raises to t1495 all in, BB calls t1295, BTN raises to t2815 all in, BB calls t1210 all in

Flop: (t7030) A 9 8 (3 players - 3 are all in)

Turn: (t7030) 3 (3 players - 3 are all in)

River: (t7030) 3 (3 players - 3 are all in)

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The button is stupid for putting himself in this spot, he needs to jam all in pre. Effectively the blinds are 150/300 here, so a jam pre is the only play.

Now he has put himself in an unbelievably bad situation, one i have no idea what to do with. on one hand we're getting great odds to call/shove, on the other it's risking our tournament to do so. He has to have very strong hands to continue here.

Sorry that is a bad responce, but it's making me cringe just trying to work out what the button needs to do here, so i'm not going to, he made the biggest mistake preflop. Moral of the story is DON'T get yourself in these situations.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well I agree that pre for the button should be shove or fold. My initial reaction when he made the standard raise was that he was trying to leave himself with a fold if the BB shoves. But after the BB flats my shove it is essentially the same thing as a BB shove since both would be committed so I can understand the reshove if deciding to play the hand. One of the reasons I posted this is that I have quite a bit of play with button and considered him fairly decent you know as far as players at the 3.40 go. So after I get my stack in get called by the BB and then reraised by the button called by the BB I am like great I am screwed!

BB flips KQo and Button flips 88 and my head starts spinning round like wtf is happening!!

so my first thought here was how can you be risking your tourney 3 handed with 8's here but looking back on the hand in review I see the fat pot and maybe he had a better read on the BB than I did so I wasnt quite sure anymore.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, this guy is really bad, most of the 'regs' at the 3's are. In fact, in the 3000k+ games i've played at that level, i've encounted one 'good' reg, and i didn't even really care when he was in my game. He got himself in a really bad spot, he can't really justify calling here.

Don't give any of the regs credit for much, they all do stupid stuff.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, this guy is really bad, most of the 'regs' at the 3's are. In fact, in the 3000k+ games i've played at that level, i've encounted one 'good' reg, and i didn't even really care when he was in my game. He got himself in a really bad spot, he can't really justify calling here.

Don't give any of the regs credit for much, they all do stupid stuff.

yea but you realize when you make this statement that I am one of those regs right?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just sayin, don't give them too much credit. And i'd have to say the fact that you can think about the game puts you ahead of about 95% of the regs at the 3's already.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Am I the only one not in love with jamming over the BTN here? (probably, lol)

as for the BTN... I can see why he'd want to play the hand after putting more than 1/5 of his stack into the pot pre, plus he's getting pretty great odds at this point. But still, your raise shows a lot of strength, and BB can't be calling all that wide either, so his range is probably getting crushed here.

I don't think it's necessarily awful I guess, I mean he is risking his tournament but if he folds and you somehow bust, he's 4-handed with the shortest stack, not a situation abundant in +$EV plays. But if he somehow beats you both, he winds up ITM with the chip lead.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Am I the only one not in love with jamming over the BTN here? (probably, lol)

as for the BTN... I can see why he'd want to play the hand after putting more than 1/5 of his stack into the pot pre, plus he's getting pretty great odds at this point. But still, your raise shows a lot of strength, and BB can't be calling all that wide either, so his range is probably getting crushed here.

I don't think it's necessarily awful I guess, I mean he is risking his tournament but if he folds and you somehow bust, he's 4-handed with the shortest stack, not a situation abundant in +$EV plays. But if he somehow beats you both, he winds up ITM with the chip lead.

well yea I agree that it is probably tough to get away from the hand once the initial raise is made which as wizz stated he should have just put it in pre to avoid this kind of spot. My thing is my shove might not mean much but the call from the BB should indicate that the button's equity in the hand is pretty bad with 88(although here it didnt).

I would like to ask though how can we not get it in here with AJ? we are the shortest stack with roughly 5 effective BB if we fold facing a button raise what kinda spot are we looking for if not this?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just don't like it as much cause our fold equity is zero. Granted AJ is a pretty good value here, but we really don't stand to steal the pot ever. That's the only reason I wouldn't like it.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he's raising wide enough, which he generally is, we don't really care if he calls. One big pot now dramatically boosts our equity and sets us up for the rest of the tournament, it's a spot where if i'm shoving this, i don't want folds neccessarily.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Remind me not to play these if I get the urge... reading the first part of thread I'm putting BB on AA/KK(<maybe)... & thinking.. 'what else could/would they be just 'flatting' there with? wtf do I know??