$3.40 NLHE STT: Could i have played this any worse?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$3.40 NL HE STT: Could i have played this any worse?

This is a spot i found kind of interesting.

I dont normally play non turbos, it was a spot where i had no idea what to do. i was only one tabling, while surfing the net and drinking beer, so its not like i was really concentrating. but anyways.

BTN was a limpy villain, he folds to raises pretty often, id been iso raising often early, which kind of ruined my image a bit, and he was a little trappy, like he had been limp/reraising often. And the past 3 hands i tried to isoraise him, he snap called, so i figured, as he has a decent stack, hes going to call me pretty wide, which puts me in a quandry postflop, overs hit fairly often.

BB is a tight, but donky player, like he will snap with KJ off no matter what the bet is, just because he doesnt know any better.

My first instict was to raise, but for some reason, i don't know why i limped.

A standard raise to like 300 would be the ideal play here right? would put my mind to ease. I thought about shoving, but with 20bb's it's just too much.

Ill let you know what i did after the silly small raise preflop, and yes, you can point and laugh at me, its pretty redonkulous..

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.4 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB (t3110)
UTG (t2520)
MP (t2230)
Button (t3625)
Hero (SB) (t2015)

Hero's M: 13.43

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8
heart.gif
, 8
diamond.gif

2 folds, Button calls t100, Hero calls t50, BB bets t250Hero??

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so, big blind is tight raiser that will snap call any raises with marginal hands? heh, well I wouldn't limp reraise vs that description. :D (I'm assuming you mean tight raiser since calling all with KJ isn't tight) If is a tight raiser, then is not making a small "I want action" raise from the big blind without a big hand, right?

I don't mind completing if really don't think its likely you will take it down preflop by raising, since will be awkward spot, middle pair oop to be putting 1/3 of still healthy stack in after flopbet. I guess that's still ok place to pick up some chips if will limp/call, then fold often - just don't know if its worth risk/reward in sng with those stacksizes.

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a normal sized raise here, i would think im getting called 70% of the time, as a guess.. we had a bit of history this particular game, as mentioned i was iso raising him a lot, but i did have the goods on most occasions.

Worded the description wrong, id expect him to be raising and calling all in with junk type hands like KJ A6s etc, so hes kind of loose. The thing is i dont expect him to ever make a move or anything, so when he raises, it just looks like he is raising with his usual range, 8's should be ahead of that range probably. Against most players, id assume their range has to be really tight, but this particular player was pretty bad, and id say hes just making his usualy opening raise without any idea why..

Limp/shoving is kind of weird though.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What did the button do before you had to act?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He limped on the button.. hed been limping literally the whole game, and limping very wide, i dont have exact stats as i wasnt using a HUD, but something like 50-60% of hands.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...but did he call the raise or fold, as far as what you should do next as played.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh, sorry

The button folded, so its on me, heads up..

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm kinda late to this thread, but I think raising/completing are both viable here- in fact, I might lean more towards completing because very rarely will button fold to a raise and then you're playing middle pair OOP in an inflated pot (as d'wilius mentioned above).

Even though BB is a donky player, I'd probably fold, simply because you have a good size stack, you'll be folding to most A, K, Q, J high flops if he cbets, and even donky players get good hands every now and then...

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I kinda agree with jaded, even though it seems weak. Like, it just seems like a reverse implied odds situation where we're paying off all the hands that beat us, and the hands that we beat will just check it down... I really hate folding though, just because villain is so spewy. So I dunno.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't take my opinion too seriously as I'm still new to the game, but I'd shove this preflop; even though it's 20BB you would increase your stack by 20% if he folds, and if he doesn't 88 is quite strong, about 40% against 99+,ATs+,KQs,AJo+

Because of the amount already in the pot doesn't that make this +EV?

I'm curious; what did you do that was so bad post-flop?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't get post flop. i laughed hysterically and folded, such a weird spot, i just didn't know what to do. went with the conservative route, cant be a huge mistake. I hate shoving 20bb's sure, it's +EV, but so is open shoving aces at 10/20 UTG.

as a 'good' player, i can wait for a better situation in the future.

Just one of those spots, where i just had no idea... thought it was kind of funny, just complete/folding with pocket 8's, but.. meh..