$3.30 NLHE STT: Early stage with QQ: Was this the right play?

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just played my first Cardschat league game last night (go team Dakota!!). I keep wondering if my play with the QQ was the right play. Given that it was early in the game I think this is a fold. I think my bet and then call was too loose because the board was very wet. In early stage of SnG the way to play is TIGHT. Right?

So why did I call? Besides the adrenalin of falling in love with QQ so early in a game? I think I let 4 players only lead me to thinking I could call wider. I think it was emotional and not calculated and I just "wanted" to be right.

9 players in the game but PS started us at 2 tables. So only 4 players at my table (after the first level the tables combine). At this point only 3 hands on the other guy (giving him 33/33), but he's a reg at CC and I'm assuming he is a smart player (he is).

PokerStars - $3+$0.30|10/20 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

SB: 1,480.00
Hero (BB): 1,520.00
UTG: 1,460.00
BTN: 1,540.00

SB posts SB 10.00, Hero posts BB 20.00

Pre Flop: (30.00) Hero has Q Q

fold, BTN raises to 60.00, fold, Hero raises to 160.00, BTN calls 100.00

Flop: (330.00, 2 players) T 7 9
Hero bets 360.00, BTN raises to 1,380.00 and is all-in, Hero calls 1,000.00 and is all-in

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eh...4 handed with an SPR of ~4.5:1 on the flop I think you have to get it in. An aggressive, smart villain is going to be raising you with numerous draw-y hands here. High cards + FD, pair + OESD, JJ, etc. Just seems like one of those wet boards/marginal spots that you have to live with.

I would have made the 3bet larger pre. Like 220 or so. It's a short-handed, smart-player table, so your 3bet will likely get less respect. You're also going to be OOP for the remainder of the hand. So I'd prefer to get as much value as possible pre and simplify my decision-making on the flop. Both of those things make a larger 3bet more worthwhile imho.

Just think of it this way, if you make it 220 pre and still get called, the 450 pot & 1300 chip stack make it a no-brainer to stack off. 330 pot & 1380 stack makes stacking off less desirable, even though probably still correct.

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eh...4 handed with an SPR of ~4.5:1 on the flop I think you have to get it in. An aggressive, smart villain is going to be raising you with numerous draw-y hands here. High cards + FD, pair + OESD, JJ, etc. Just seems like one of those wet boards/marginal spots that you have to live with.

agree

I would have made the 3bet larger pre. Like 220 or so. It's a short-handed, smart-player table, so your 3bet will likely get less respect. You're also going to be OOP for the remainder of the hand. So I'd prefer to get as much value as possible pre and simplify my decision-making on the flop. Both of those things make a larger 3bet more worthwhile imho.

+1

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
does hero mean thats the player who posted this and villain is the person who made a difficult call or raise? ive never quite understood which person is in the bad situation and wanted to show people. ive seen several of these in the site. how do they make there hands like that? can someone please teach me how to do that

Z,
What you're seeing is the text of a hand history that is converted using something called a "hand converter." There are many of these and I'll post a link to them in a second.

Editing this to add the link: Look here, which is the "sticky" about how to post hands for analysis. Sticky means it's a permanent post that is always at the top of a forum. And also look here for specific instructions about converting hands.

Some of the converters give you the option of keeping the player names or instead indicating the player's position. When the action ends up being between two people, we call the person who is posting the hero and the person we're playing against the villain.

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never fold this in a CC league game, ever. Preflop needs to be larger, you're giving them correct odds to call with anything preflop, we want to force them into a mistake.

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never fold this in a CC league game, ever. Preflop needs to be larger, you're giving them correct odds to call with anything preflop, we want to force them into a mistake.

How big would you make preflop raise?