$3.30 NLHE MTT: Should I triple barrel?

L

lmjones

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the 3.30 saturday micro, so a huge field. Probably around 400 left at this point. Some are going to look at the hand asking what the hell i'm doing but here it goes.

Villain: VPIP:19 PFR:20 44BB's/109013 Middle position 4/8
SB: VPIP:6 PFR:7 28BB's/70673
BB: VPIP:13 PFR:7 20BB's/50678
Hero: 32BB's Button.

Preflop Pot: 5750
Villian Minraises to 5k. I have 9h4h . I Reraise to 11290. Villian calls.

This is where you'd think what the hell am I doing here. The SB and BB are fairly nitty and i saw the villain raise in the exact same spot previously which is why I thought it was a good spot to 3bet.

Flop Pot: 28330
:10h4::As::8h4:
Villian Checks, I bet 12860, Villian Calls

Turn Pot: 54050
:6s4:
Villian Checks, i decide to check.

Here I'm left with a gutshot and a flush draw and this is probably where i regret my play. I think a double barreling would be the correct decision repping Ax x =10/j/q/k. Also, I still have great odds with my actual hand so if i do get check raised i call. But then again, I dont have the greatest amount left to bet with and at the time only a pot sized stack of 56k/22BB's. Not sure if a shove or around 50/60% bet would be the best route if i wanted to bet. I think at the time i just wanted to keep myself in the game which is why i checked and decide on the river card.

River Pot: 54050
:6c4:
Villian bets 23990. I fold.

I couldn't really put my finger on the villains range throughout the hand which is where i somewhat need help with but I think the line i wish i took would probably be better.

Some of my play was definitely strange no doubt but after the turn i kind of felt lost on what was the correct decision.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm assuming the BB is 2,500?

OK, so I totally understand the 3bet preflop. You think he's exploiting the nitty blinds and so you're isolating his B.S. raise in position. I don't mind it at all; it's very aggressive and high variance which is OK if it fits in with your tourney game plan for this stage and if you have a plan for how to play against this particular villain.

On the flop, he checks to you, you have the betting lead and a Cbet here will take it down quite often; so a Cbet is pretty mandatory. It's just gravy that you've picked up a flush draw which makes this particular Cbet even more +EV. I prefer a larger Cbet, to something like 16,000 but if that smaller sizing is consistent with what you've been betting it's OK I guess. You'll get more calls with a bet like that; so do you want to take it down on the flop or not?

On the turn, he checks to you again and you've bricked. The turn is your decision point in this hand. Either shut down and hope to get lucky, or jam the turn.

I think based on the line you were taking, repping a big hand and trying to run a big bluff pretty much from the get go, you should just jam the turn. It will be pretty hard for him to call you with his 1 pair hands as you are repping the overpair. When he does call you've still got 12 outs (9 flush and 3 gutshot).

As played, you have no choice but to give up on the river. your story becomes inconsistent without a turn bet. Maybe a bluff will occasionally work on the river, but it is very risky. It basically screams "busted draw"

Last edited:
L

lmjones

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm assuming the BB is 2,500?

OK, so I totally understand the 3bet preflop. You think he's exploiting the nitty blinds and so you're isolating his B.S. raise in position. I don't mind it at all; it's very aggressive and high variance which is OK if it fits in with your tourney game plan for this stage and if you have a plan for how to play against this particular villain.

Yeah high variance indeed, it's such a large field i feel taking this route is often better to reach the final table with a decent stack rather than waiting around. 400 players is still a large amount to get through. Am i thinking correctly here?

I think you put it into words better than what i was actually thinking. I'm guessing if i 3bet as light as i did i need to carry my story throughout the flop, turn and river. Shoving the turn is definitely what i should of done.

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with Ambur that pre-flop fold was your play... there is nothing in the villains stats to suggest he is getting out of line.

However... as played...

Pre-flop - When villain calls your 3-bet it narrows his range considerably and, given his stats you already have a read on what his opening range is likely to be. At this stage you can rule out AA, KK and, probably, AKs and he probably has AT+, KQs or 66 - QQ. (Others may give villain a wider range.)

Flop - Villain checks so what is the purpose of your c-bet? Are you trying to induce a fold? If so bet is too small imo. He is priced in to call on pretty much all of his opening range (he is getting nearly 3.3:1). A c-bet of 22K puts 50K in the pot and only gives villain 2.3:1 on a call which will fold out most of his draws and, if he does call give you a fairly clear indication that you are behind. The other option here is to check and take a free card as, lets face it, right now hero has 9 high!

Turn - as played your flop bet has given no new information on the villains holding but the 6 changes nothing so if villain believes he was ahead before then he is still ahead now so the double-barrel would only fold out his draws. Given you have no real read on the villain hand not sure this would be a great move. I would take the free card and hope to make my draw.

River - obviously you have to fold.

Lots of ways this hand could have turned out different but fold pre flop and you wouldn't have given yourself the problems.

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You made the pot big without having enough behind to press him out afterwards.
As played before the flop and hitting at last 9 outs for the flush you may even be a small favourite vs 2 overcards. So you should jam on the flop ond hope for the best.
Once calling a c-bet your opponent is more or less comitted to the pot. So investing any more chips is useless.