$3.30 NLHE MTT: Big stack aggresion good spot ???

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
http://www.handconverter.com/hands/2758902

Early in the tournament I accumulated many chips and I was looking for spots to be a big stack bully.

When blinds were higher I was aiming to make some plays on players with 25-35 blinds left as they have enough chips to fold preflop or postflop.

I played tight up to this point.

everyone folded to btn who was likely to be stealing, so i played back at him.

What do you think of my reasoning ? Would play this hand postflop in the same way ?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the problem with looking for spots to be a bully is that you will naturally make moves at inappropriate times. and the thing is, not many players will pick on you as a smaller stack as they know that you can knock them out, so they will be playing stronger than average ranges against you, if that makes sense.

having said that, since this is a button range i don't hate the 3bet bluff, should get a decent amount of folds, the thing is though, we really don't have to actually do anything, the blinds are still tiny comparatively, so we don't need to get tricky here, all we need to do is keep patient, steal and pick off pots preflop.

Now a good reason to make this move might be that the button was and had been stealing and been very active in a ton of pots preflop, that would be an ideal reason to make this move.

As played postflop, it's just such a meh spot, it smells like we're screwed here for the most part, the best we can hope for is that he has QJ and we have to sweat a run out, but for the most part we will be up against a better T or most likely JJ or QQ here when he jams. but with our odds and TP we kinda have to call once we c-bet.

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would of 3 bet pre more, the flop is ok for your hand, but when he raises you, you really can't think you are good in this spot can you? I mean you've shown stregnth and he's flexed it right back.

I guess my question to start with is, how often had he been raising from that spot for you to think the 3 bet would work?

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without antes this is a very bad game 3bet steal, BUT have only 20bb, so after your 3bet he can only shove or fold, very often only call, so your hand not has value and steal does not make sense.

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm this is very good advice guys, but i guess it relates to better opponents, this guy made a crying raise with 98 suited and improved. But you are right , that often i will be behind after that raise

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 98s he should fold or 4 bet all in preflop right?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
his call isn't really very good obviously considering his stack size, if he's much deeper he can call because his hand plays so well. 4betting wouldn't make much sense since you've been playing tight, so his options really are fold, or fold.

However, just because someone should do something, definitely does not mean they will do something, so just be careful assuming players play good, because they don't.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh, ya and the thing is with playing low level MTTs in an early stage, more often than not you will be facing bad/average players, so making plays designed for good players isn't a good idea. Instead, focus on extracting more value from your good hands vs bad players, so basically bluff a little less, and value bet thin more.

Oh and one last thing to keep in mind... bluffing can be really good, even vs bad players, but you really do need some kind of leverage for it to work, leverage can come in the form of the money bubble or a very late stage of game where the money jumps are large. But here, it's like an hour into a tournament which will likely take from 4-7 hours to complete, so in his mind he's not going to really care if he makes a bad play and busts thinking "oh well, i havn't got a lot invested"... How many times have you thought the same early? i know i've done it on a few occasions even though i don't want to admit that :)

So again, bluff less early without leverage and reads. Value bet thin more, and bet bigger to extract more value from fish/unknown players and you should see results improve pretty much straight away by letting others make the mistakes.