$3.3 NLHE MTT: $ NLHE MTT: How would you play this?

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Micro limit MTTMy hand: TT
Position: MP
Raise 2.3x
HJ call
Flop 689 rainbow
i bet 1/3 pot, he re-raises to 1,3x pot
Then i tought: i block 7T, 57 improbable, maybe 89s, 88, 99, but i can call, i have equity against thiose hands (gutshot and against 2 pair the board can pair) and maybe slowplaying AA/KK/QQ
i called
Turn: T
Then i tought: now i beat 88, 99, 89s,AA,KK,QQ. Unlikly a re-raise with JQ and with 1 T on the board and 2 in my hand its almost impossible 7T
Maybe a semi-bluff with A7/K7 on the flop
I bet, he shoves and show 7Ts
River is a king
I played it right? Its a call? Its a fold on the flop?
How would you play?
Early stage with 100bb at micro MTT

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop and flop is standard. Your turn line however is a massive blunder. You improved to top set, which is for sure nice, but there is a 1-liner to a straight, so in no way, shape or form does this mean, you now have the nuts. Donk leading after getting raised is a very strong play, and with your hand its a massive overplay. The hand, you might want to do this with, is the straight, not a set. When he jam it in, he always have a straight, so now its a pure math decision. You have 10 outs to boat up, so depending on your pot odds you either fold or call it off.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mostly agree with fundiver here although I will disagree that the flop is standard. With 1010 here I am definitely not jumping for joy and in no way snap calling here. I am giving this real thought especially depending on villain. If villain is passive as hell and then this happens I am sure I probably fold this. Without knowing anything about villain or if they are not passive I would be calling the flop but hating it. How many hands are we ahead of if the villain is not aggressive or not tricky? I highly discount AA-JJ since most opponents are going to 3bet those. I dont see a ton of 7x hands because it has to be a 7x hand that the villain calls a raise with (depends again how they play as loose players easily show up with 7x here). A lot of 7x might just call behind here as well especially the passive ones. I would really think I was up against 2 pair here or a set as with the rainbow flop I dont think villains would want us risking a fold if they have 107 (shows what I know but thats what I would be thinking). Given that thinking I dont see a lot of hands we are ahead of here but against most players in game I would be calling I think as I would want to see another card with the overpair.

The turn is good/bad. If my think was right on the flop then we are way ahead here but we could easily be behind too if my range was off as it was. I would not be leading here for a few reasons. First is I dont want villain to think the turn card helped me. I want to look a little like a station here looking like I will check call with a one pair hand. Second is that there is still a straight possibility even though I personally discounted it so I wouldnt go crae crae just yet. I like checking here and seeing how villain bets (I assume they would bet here) and then making my decision on what I would do. This hand is rough since I would be thinking a lot of the time this is set over set but I also would not be trying to play for stacks either, there is just too much danger. This is a hand I would be looking to get value but also displaying some caution while doing so. As played my way I would probably check call the river as well but I dont know, like I said its a weird spot where I would think I am way ahead but would not want to play for stacks either.

As played calling the shove is tough but folding to the shove is tough too. I would think there are definitely villains that might shove a set of 9s or a set of 8s here even though it is a bad play. I would not think villain played the hand the way they did with QJ either so that can be thrown out. Its 7x or a set here. Folding top set there if you really dont think villain has too many 7xs is not easy. There are no stack sizes listed other than 100BBs to start so I would think this is a pretty big turn jam which does say 7x more but this one is close. This would depend on how Im feeling at the moment which is not a good answer but it would be the truth. This might be a time where even though I am a nit I would call and say show me the 7. Plus, if villain has a 7 we do have a re draw that will save us 20% ish of the time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mostly agree with fundiver here although I will disagree that the flop is standard. With 1010 here I am definitely not jumping for joy and in no way snap calling here.

I am certainly not excited about getting raised on the flop either. But we have an overpair and a gutshot, so we absolutely can not bet 1/3 pot and then fold to a small raise. That would make us massively exploitable, and people could just call us preflop with any random two cards, raise our C-bet and print so much money, its untrue.

It could be argued though, that we should not C-bet this board but go for a check-call line instead. It is a very wet and dangerous board, and if HJ play remotely well, he should not be flat calling us preflop with hands like A9 or K9. So there are not a whole lot of worse hands, we can get value from here and certainly not 2-3 streets.

If HJ hit on this board, he either has us beat or a draw with massive equity. And if he missed, he is probably going to fold even to a 1/3 pot bet. So its almost like, we are betting for protection here more than value, and I would not be surpriced, if a solver had us checking almost our entire range.

C-betting to much, when someone has flat called us in position, is a pretty big leak for a lot of people. With this hand we are not giving up, but our main focus should be on trying to get to a cheap showdown rather than build a massive pot. So maybe its wrong to say, the C-bet is standard, but as played calling the raise is. A solver will almost never bet for value on the flop or turn and then fold to a small raise.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe a semi-bluff with A7/K7 on the flop

A7/K7 are pretty bad hands to call with preflop against an EP open. Its much more likely, he can have hands like 97s, 87s, 77, 76s, 75s. Hands that are not dominated by your range, and that can crack an overpair and win a big pot. And all those hands are completely reasonable to play as a raise on the flop, especially when you make a small C-bet. If you missed with a hand like AK/AQ, he take the pot down and deny your equity. And if you have an overpair, he build up the pot, so he can either win a big pot, when he improve, or make you fold on a later street.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your preflop and flop play is fine. Leading turn is really bad though. The only hand I might lead turn on here is qj, but I'm generally not a fan of leading here even with that. I don't want to scare off 2 pair hands, and all 7x will be betting turn. I personally am checking turn with your holding and I might call a small to medium sized bet.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly I would have jammed after his 3 bet on the flop. That is a scary board for you so aggression is key. That's what I would have done on the flop, but I would have lost then and there so good thing you just called. If you take the call route, hard fold after the 10 on turn comes, but necesary. It's not an easy one, but what can you do.

Z

Zypher2212

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of 7x in their range I think it’s gross, but have to lay it down on the turn.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Such a bad turn for you, unreal. You wouldn't think he has a 7 after that 3bet on the flop that looked like he was protecting his hand. I would have done the same as you. Unlucky hand

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
One thing about the micros is very few people bluff. They truly do play with their cards up most of the time. So in that sense, if you start getting that feeling that you aren't so happy calling a bet, you should know that you probably should be folding. 1/3 pot raised to pot+ is in no way a small re-raise. Unless you know the villain is a donkey that plays this way frequently, I wouldn't suggest continuing. Or just learn for yourself and see how many times you correctly predict the hand that they are holding, which you think you block or which you think is the only hand that would beat you.