MP2: t1470 14.70 BBs
CO: t1425 14.25 BBs
BTN: t2665 26.65 BBs
SB: t1690 16.90 BBs
Hero (BB): t2090 20.90 BBs
UTG: t2910 29.10 BBs
UTG+1: t2830 28.30 BBs

Pre Flop: (t150) Hero is BB with T:diamond: A:spade:
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t100, 4 folds, SB calls t50, Hero raises to t300, UTG+1 calls t200, SB calls t200

Flop: (t900) 8:club: Q:spade: 3:club: (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t400, UTG+1 folds, SB calls t400

Turn: (t1700) K:spade: (2 players)
SB bets t600, Hero folds

I thought that I had to raise here because I stand to have the best hand. However, I without stats(my darn HUD screwed up this session) I should give UTG+1 the benefit of the doubt, so a check here would have been correct(I think)

Let's assume that the limper came in MP1/2, not UTG+1; what would be the best play then? It was really gross to invest such a huge percentage of my stake to then fold it to resistance. I have too much to shove pre, but checking seems weak. Should I raise it to 250 pre, then follow up with a half pot c-bet? Or is this a good spot for a delayed c-bet?

EDIT: I should add this is a 45 person SnG

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, your out of position, with an akward stack size. I think if you had to make this play, you need to raise a lot larger. Your giving the guy odds to call with just about anything he limped with, plus he has position. If i was going to raise, it would be to 400-450 which sets me up for a flop shove.

Normally though, it's a spot i'm checking my option with. AT is marginal, plus raising OOP puts us in a tough spot when called. check, then play a smaller pot OOP.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, your out of position, with an akward stack size. I think if you had to make this play, you need to raise a lot larger. Your giving the guy odds to call with just about anything he limped with, plus he has position. If i was going to raise, it would be to 400-450 which sets me up for a flop shove.

Normally though, it's a spot i'm checking my option with. AT is marginal, plus raising OOP puts us in a tough spot when called. check, then play a smaller pot OOP.

That be bit too big of a shove on the flop wouldn't it? We'll have 1600; if one caller there'd be 1000, with 2 1400. Idk, seems too big, not sure though

Yeah very good reasoning. I think I've found a leak in my thinking at these levels; I'm thinking, " I have a hand stronger than their range so I need to get the money in" I should try to preserve my stack at this stage by being more selective with my preflop raises. Anyway, cheers

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That be bit too big of a shove on the flop wouldn't it? We'll have 1600; if one caller there'd be 1000, with 2 1400. Idk, seems too big, not sure though

Yeah very good reasoning. I think I've found a leak in my thinking at these levels; I'm thinking, " I have a hand stronger than their range so I need to get the money in" I should try to preserve my stack at this stage by being more selective with my preflop raises. Anyway, cheers

Well 'if' i made that preflop re-raise, we're pretty limited with options post flop, do we check when whiffed and give up? Do we c-bet half our stack and fold to a shove? It's pretty much our only play after the raise is to shove the flop. Most of the time both us and our opponant are going to miss the flop, and we win by shoving first. It's not too much of an overbet really, theres half our stack in the pot, we kinda need it after we make the raise!