Total posts
Chips
wsop Main Event:
1,000 players left out of ~9,000
900 players make the money
Blinds: 1,000/2,000 Ante: 200
Average chipstack: 90,000
Your chipstack: ~78,000

Action folded around to Mr. Phillip Ivey, with 140,000 chips, in middle position, raises to 6,500

Action folds to hero in the cutoff
Dealt cards: [9h,9s]
Hero calls

Everyone else folds, heads up to the flop

Flop hits: Jh, 10h, Qh

Ivey checks, hero checks

Turn card:
Kh

Ivey bets 11,000 into a 19,800 pot
Hero raises to 28,000
Ivey raises all-in

?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,

Looks like this might rival a Greek Tragedy.

Hero here really has no choice does he? He can guess that Phillain (couldn't resist,lol) has that Ace, but he just can't fold it here. Can he?

For Hero, this would be one of those storybook hands if Phil did have 'THAT ACE', the hero can only hope they remember his name through the ages, and spell it right.

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call. Even if he has AA, I'm still 50-50. There is only one card in the deck that beats my hand, and I'll take that chance every time.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call. Even if he has AA, I'm still 50-50. There is only one card in the deck that beats my hand, and I'll take that chance every time.

You voted fold, silly.
Public poll ;)

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gave it some thought and went for the fold. I'll explain my rationale behind it.

The way hand is played, after his bet on the turn and my raise after, which is almost begging for a call since he has to put 17k into a 58k pot, I think it would take steel balls to come over the top w/o having the Ah (since he can't have the 9h). I know this is Ivey, but really how could he possibly do it w/o having it? How could he be sure we don't have it? The fact we checked the flop is not a sure indication of it, its not enough. Making that play w/o the Ah is almost impossible after our reraise, although I'm not saying this play makes sense if you do have it.

He would be risking more than half his stack on a cold bluff, and although I know he's capable of making risky plays like this, which is also why he's so successful, I'm sure he would look for a different spot to outplay you, not one where he could be faced by the best hand in poker and drop more than half his stack. I think he does this if he has me beat and is trying to mess with my head.

BTW, next time against Ivey fold 99 PF, even if you're in position, lol. You're not going to outplay him after the flop. Actually, do something even better, don't play at all against him. Take a break and go eat a couple slices of pizza.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am surprised that at the time I voted I made it even.

Because it is Phil Ivy and I know he has balls of steel, and only one exact card can beat me here, I call.

And then I pray they spell my name right every time they tell this story.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am surprised that at the time I voted I made it even.

Because it is Phil Ivy and I know he has balls of steel, and only one exact card can beat me here, I call.

And then I pray they spell my name right every time they tell this story.[/quote]

I like that line!

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure I could fold a the second nut straightflush. Damn that would be a huge lay down. You have to ask, why would Phil go all-in if he had the ace of hearts? The only hand that could call an all-in if he has the Ah is someone with the 9h. I know Phil is good but it would be awfully hard for anyone to put him on exactly that hand.

There is some crucial information missing. Who is hero? Some random unkown or a known player that can lay down a big hand. How many chips does hero have? What percentage of his chips are already in the pot after his 28k raise?

Phil might push all-in with the absolute nuts if he thinks the player he is against will put him on a bluff because of it and call.

I think the chip stack of hero is a very important factor here in trying to decide if a call is in order or not. I think the name of the player and his chips size may have been left out on purpose, lol.

Vanquish no far voting in your own poll if you already know what happened, lol.

Not knowing that crucial information, if it's just me, I think I call.

And really, hero should have bet the flop big anyway with his monster draw. If Ivey had the Ah it would have been a very tough call.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure I could fold a the second nut straightflush. Damn that would be a huge lay down. You have to ask, why would Phil go all-in if he had the ace of hearts? The only hand that could call an all-in if he has the Ah is someone with the 9h. I know Phil is good but it would be awfully hard for anyone to put him on exactly that hand.

There is some crucial information missing. Who is hero? Some random unkown or a known player that can lay down a big hand. How many chips does hero have? What percentage of his chips are already in the pot after his 28k raise?

Phil might push all-in with the absolute nuts if he thinks the player he is against will put him on a bluff because of it and call.

I think the chip stack of hero is a very important factor here in trying to decide if a call is in order or not. I think the name of the player and his chips size may have been left out on purpose, lol.

Not knowing that crucial information, if it's just me, I think I call.

And really, hero should have bet the flop big anyway with his monster draw. If Ivey had the Ah it would have been a very tough call.

The information about hero's chipstack is all there - I mistakenly used "you" and "hero" interchangeably.

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Um??

This is an obv call. I don't think much explanation is needed.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I folded pre-flop as well.

But folding a straight flush cause im afraid of a royal? R U Crazy ?

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I folded pre-flop as well.

But folding a straight flush cause im afraid of a royal? R U Crazy ?

Yea, I really don't understand how any argument can be made to fold here.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well now knowing the chip stack, easy call

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I would be a quiet at the table poker guy, but in this case, when I called, I would make sure everyone withing screeming distance would know that Phil Ivy absolutely positively had to have the royal to beat me.
LOUDLY.

Then I would make sure everyone knew how to spell my name.

LMFAO

Mehman

Mehman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i say call and cry foul if he has THAT card.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll vote call if My table image was TAG at this point in the tourney, because Ivey just may be trying to push me off this with a bluff and if I had a LAG image, then this would have to be a fold because with the loose image, Ivey would be hoping for a call from a LAG with his all-in, but since I have only 2 choices here, I CALL.

Last edited:
Black_Fox

Black_Fox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A made straight with a draw to the straight flush and a possible flush? Against a renowned aggressive player, you gotta call here. I know i would.
BF

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A made straight with a draw to the straight flush and a possible flush? Against a renowned aggressive player, you gotta call here. I know i would.
BF

You already have the straight flush.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, Van, was this just a made up situation, or did this hand really happen?

Or is it another of those everyone ahead of you goes all in first hand WSOP, your in the bb with AA what will you do theoretical questions?

What happens next, and will we need to learn to spell that guys name right?

WSOP